SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why do we dislike loaded chamber indicators on our pistols?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do we dislike loaded chamber indicators on our pistols? Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I agree with everyone above. I do like how the M&P 2.0's have the small witness hole.

Boy you're in the minority there. It's there because of Massachusetts. It's called a Mass Hole.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Actually, I don't think the LCI itself is ugly and obtrusive. The verbiage on the other hand...

I, on the other hand, do find giant "shark fin" LCIs to be ugly and obtrusive, independent of the verbiage.

Even without the words on it, this would still be butt-ugly.

Holes and extractor bumps are acceptable, though.

That's one way to screw up a firearm.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
The Glock LCI is fine by me.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My SP2022 had a loaded chamber indicator. I was getting random, intermittent, failures to feed, and occasional odd ejection (right back at me, or to the left, etc.) — since I removed the LCI, I’ve had no issues; reliability went from 99% to 100% Data point of one, I know, but I’d rather not have it. Besides, I can see a loaded round through the slot where the LCI used to be.

"Shoot first, shoot fast, shoot straight, shoot last." -- attribution unknown (to me)

Posts: 269 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Subtle ones like the extractor LCI that some gun makers use are about as acceptable as they're going to get to me. Anything more blatant is straight out visually and even psychologically annoying, as if saying that I'm too stupid to keep track of the state of my firearm. But I will admit that the LCI is a fast way to check if my gun is already hot, but I'll press check regardless. Nothing is more convincing than eyes actually on the chambered cartridge.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I would not buy a gun with one of those contraptions on it - is Fugly.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Every pistol I own has one in the pipe so I find them completely unnecessary.

I don't dislike them, I just don't have a need for them.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I don't have a need for them and I dislike hate them.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10695 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never really cared about them or noticed them, until Sig came out with their flag to appease to the politicians. Other than that, pretty much like some have said, always treat a firearm as if it was loaded.

Posts: 493 | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
As George Thorogood would say, They don’t confront me none..... I really don’t notice or care.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
My past Ruger MK-IIIs had them and I removed all of them, replaced them with Tandemkross LCI fills. The Ruger LCI was a haven for dirt and carbon inside the chamber, the filler much less so. Aesthetically, the process looked cleaner. LCIs are useless to me because I would still visually check the chamber anyways.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16611 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I would compare them to those automatic seatbelts in the 80s that was on a rail. Big brother saying you are too dumb so they have to make sure you are safe.

Posts: 1342 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I have no problem with the Glock style that is part of the extractor and would be fine with the witness hole. A separate mechanical part as shown above is a bit much.

+1

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I was going to say take it or leave it until I saw some pretty ugly indicators on page 1.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The LCI is THE reason I never had (or more aptly bought and sold) a modern Sig Pro. Absolutely useless, unless your use is to satisfy some obsecure leftist law supposedly concerning firearm "safety".

Slightly protruding extractor? I can live with it. Extra parts flapping willy nilly on the top of the slide? Never. Hell even the hole in the barrel hood is better.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Passive ones (a hole or notch) are fine by me.

But one with labels or moving parts...? Hideous.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
We don't like LCIs on our pistols because:
(1) we treat every gun as if it's loaded until we confirm it's not loaded by opening the action and inspecting the weapon to ensure it's safe
(2) we assure the gun is in fact loaded at the time we put it into service by either actively loading the weapon or opening the action and inspecting the weapon to ensure it's hot.
(3) I have more faith in the methods above than a LCI - see note below about LCIs

If a gun must have an LCI, make the extractor the part that functions as an LCI. No peep holes. No additional, and unnecessary, parts!

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
I agree with everyone above. I do like how the M&P 2.0's have the small witness hole.

Boy you're in the minority there. It's there because of Massachusetts. It's called a Mass Hole.

I've heard the term before but I didn't know it was for the M&P so thanks for the heads up. I could still take it or leave it but as far as LCI's go it seems to be one of the more un-obtrusive designs out there I suppose.

Posts: 10825 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like them. Specifically, the ones on my SP2022 and SR9C. These are my nightstand guns, and I can tell in the dark that the pistol is loaded.

I don't think they are attractive, but I didn't want to win a fashion show. I have never had an issue with function.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:

I've heard the term before but I didn't know it was for the M&P so thanks for the heads up. I could still take it or leave it but as far as LCI's go it seems to be one of the more un-obtrusive designs out there I suppose.

It's not just the M&P, it's been a condition of selling new guns in MA for some years. I don't know about now, but at the time, MA was the only state requiring it.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post