SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why do we dislike loaded chamber indicators on our pistols?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do we dislike loaded chamber indicators on our pistols? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
I forget stuff …

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like mine , we get along well .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’m no fan of the “active” kind that get pushed up or back because they’re another mechanical part to break or jam and cause problems.

The passive sort which is usually a small hole in the barrel hood extension, however, is very useful IMO. When I chamber a round I usually check to ensure I can see it in the chamber and the hole makes that much easier. Of course, a hole isn’t really an “indicator,” and therefore doesn’t serve the same purpose of harassing the gun owner who doesn’t want something sticking up or out.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
It's ugly, obtrusive, and treats me like an idiot.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with the Glock style that is part of the extractor and would be fine with the witness hole. A separate mechanical part as shown above is a bit much.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:

Yep ugly

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I agree with everyone above. I do like how the M&P 2.0's have the small witness hole.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In general, we don't. We dislike mandates.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Unnecessary. Not all of my pistols have them, so I check them (and treat them) all as if none of them have them. At the same time, I've never found myself glad to have one.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my thought is, that i do not wish to rely on a hokey mechanical thing when i should be properly checking the chamber visually and tactilely.

Plus i had the plastic one from a ruger mkIII embed its self into my left hand after blowing out into tiny bits.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Actually, I don't think the LCI itself is ugly and obtrusive. The verbiage on the other hand...

In any case, I do like the LCI functionality. I think it good to be able to tell if the gun is loaded with press checking.

quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Actually, I don't think the LCI itself is ugly and obtrusive. The verbiage on the other hand...

I, on the other hand, do find giant "shark fin" LCIs to be ugly and obtrusive, independent of the verbiage.

Even without the words on it, this would still be butt-ugly.

Holes and extractor bumps are acceptable, though.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
wow that IS ugly and dumb to boot......

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but you have no doubt whether your chamber is loaded Razz

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

I, on the other hand, do find giant "shark fin" LCIs to be ugly and obtrusive, independent of the verbiage.

Even without the words on it, this would still be butt-ugly.

Holes and extractor bumps are acceptable, though.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
While I don't think it would prevent me from buying anything if it was in my price range (I'm an opportunist), it would be very tempting to disable/dismantle/remove such a device and hide any evidence of it ever being there.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
HK does it right with the LCI - they just have the design made that the extractor is tactile when a round is in the chamber and a flash of red to see it. Very small, pretty much unnoticeable.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
HK does it right with the LCI - they just have the design made that the extractor is tactile when a round is in the chamber and a flash of red to see it. Very small, pretty much unnoticeable.

Same thing with my PX4 Compact. However, I never rely on it. I still do a visual chamber check.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Same thing with my PX4 Compact. However, I never rely on it. I still do a visual chamber check.

Agreed. I've found that most pistols allow you to see the brass even with the slide in battery.

I just like that HK doesn't do anything over the top. Just discreet and done with it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I dislike large, obtrusive and overly complex LCIs, and don't like them mandated (which is probably where those came from), but the kind that let you see a glint of brass, or the small peg that was on the CZ75D PCR I used to have that stuck up slightly when loaded, I actually like them. This is for safety, but not the kind you might think. I like them to be sure I did load the chamber.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
To me it’s just a gadget for those who would blame the manufacturer when they choose to not treat every firearm as a loaded weapon and it’s just another thing to go wrong.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post