SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Range Report-Ruger SP101 in 327 Federal Magnum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range Report-Ruger SP101 in 327 Federal Magnum Login/Join 
posted
I took the new revolver, a 3 inch model, to the range yesterday. I had no expectations as I had never fired this round before.

First up, recoil was almost non-existent. I found this very pleasant, as I have issues with the palm of my right hand.

Accuracy was pretty darned good. I was hitting the 4 inch dirty bird style sticky consistently up to 15 yards.

Function was somewhat odd. Many of the casings were hard to eject. Initially, I had to rap the ejector rod hard to get the casings out, but it got better as I fired more rounds.

There was a lot of unburned powder, which I initially thought was "spitting" of lead. The gunsmith checked the timing for me, all is well. I will try a variety of ammo to see which works best. These were American Eagle 100 gr JSP.

Fit and finish was acceptable. There were a few "buff" marks on the interior, but the exterior was putty.

Overall I am pleased.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Where are the photos?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You can actually load .32 ACP in that thing and it will fire!

Posts: 33749 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I wondered about that. Does it need moon clips, or headspace another way?

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Yeah, I wondered about that. Does it need moon clips, or headspace another way?

I don't think so as .32 ACP has a very small rim IIRC, that's why it's susceptible to the quirky issue of rimlock in semi-auto.

Posts: 33749 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an LCR 327 and the Federal low recoil is quite tame compared to the Gold Dot 100 Gr. You didn't mention what ammo you were shooting.

I think it's a great gun. I practice with loads of HR MAG. very pleasant to shoot.

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I took the new revolver, a 3 inch model, to the range yesterday. I had no expectations as I had never fired this round before.

First up, recoil was almost non-existent. I found this very pleasant, as I have issues with the palm of my right hand.

Accuracy was pretty darned good. I was hitting the 4 inch dirty bird style sticky consistently up to 15 yards.

Function was somewhat odd. Many of the casings were hard to eject. Initially, I had to rap the ejector rod hard to get the casings out, but it got better as I fired more rounds.

There was a lot of unburned powder, which I initially thought was "spitting" of lead. The gunsmith checked the timing for me, all is well. I will try a variety of ammo to see which works best. These were American Eagle 100 gr JSP.

Fit and finish was acceptable. There were a few "buff" marks on the interior, but the exterior was putty.

Overall I am pleased.

Is the gun "new-old stock"? I thought there were some issues with cases sticking on the early runs. I know there were some on the SRH in 454.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Fredward

I have one of the "2nd" production SP 101 in 327 Federal. The ammo you mentionedis the worst shooting 327 Federal ammo there is. Federal's loading is much better, albeit more expensive.

Lately, I have been using 32 H&R Magnum, although not the same powerlevel as the 327 Federal.

One thing I had to do, was swap grips. Using Pachmyer smooth laminated grips now. Will be bead blasting my SP 101 in the near future.

Recoil is nil...Noise is LOUD..like the Tokarev

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post