SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P238 Mag Problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P238 Mag Problem Login/Join 
posted
I had my P238 on the range today and a couple of times I had a Mag problem. On the last shot (7 rds) the mag released on it's own. I was using 2 mags and the problem only happened with 1. I am sure I did not hit the mag release button. Any ideas what might cause this to happen?

Posts: 207 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lmacrichter:
I had my P238 on the range today and a couple of times I had a Mag problem. On the last shot (7 rds) the mag released on it's own. I was using 2 mags and the problem only happened with 1. I am sure I did not hit the mag release button. Any ideas what might cause this to happen?

I don't own a P238 but it's a known problem with the P938 dropping the seven round magazine. If you do a Google search, you will find a lot of discussion and some suggested remedies. The best remedy is sending your gun back to SIG for warranty repair. I recently sent my P938 in for the same issue. It was returned in 19 days with an upgraded magazine catch spring. SIG also replaced the worn trigger assembly.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P238 is 4 years old so I guess wear could be the problem.

Posts: 207 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tahmail
posted Hide Post
Wife's P238 had same issue - fix by gunsmith was to use mag spring from a higher caliber (.45 in her case) cut down to fit the 238. Has worked fine ever since.

Posts: 36 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:

Such problems with the 7-round mag in P238s were common 4 years ago. SIG would fix the problem by grinding down a ridge on the mag release piece, near the region that entered the latching slot of the mag. That ridge interfered with the latching. Also, SIG replaced the original mag release spring with a stronger one.

The issue is fixed in newer P238s. I suggest that you report your issue to SIG CS. They’ll probably send you a new mag release and spring for free. In any case these parts are inexpensive, and easy to replace.

My P238, purchased early 2015, doesn’t have the problem.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8944 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know why this was the first time I had this problem in 4 years unless it is wear. Calling CS may get it solved without sending it in though.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:

Such problems with the 7-round mag in P238s were common 4 years ago. SIG would fix the problem by grinding down a ridge on the mag release piece, near the region that entered the latching slot of the mag. That ridge interfered with the latching. Also, SIG replaced the original mag release spring with a stronger one.

The issue is fixed in newer P238s. I suggest that you report your issue to SIG CS. They’ll probably send you a new mag release and spring for free. In any case these parts are inexpensive, and easy to replace.

My P238, purchased early 2015, doesn’t have the problem.

Are any special tools needed to do the work? I don't have a punch set or anything like that. Looks like a screw driver may be all that is needed.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Just a decent gunsmith screwdriver of the right size. Not a great video (the guy is a klutz), but better than words alone.

https://youtu.be/M7qdacxGg4w

Edit: Here’s a much better video for a 1911 mag latch replacement, relevant to the P238 too.

https://youtu.be/0v1dzdO7ndA

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8944 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the help. I contacted CS and said to send it in and they would fix it under warranty and paid the shipping charges. They said the turn around would be about 2 weeks. Can't complain about that service.