SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 C KABOOM ***4th Update*** Back to Sig She Goes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 C KABOOM ***4th Update*** Back to Sig She Goes Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I'm pulling the trigger and getting the Kaboom. This strongly suggests that the pistol is just a hair short of getting into battery, but close enough to get all of the stars aligned and fire the gun.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

This video is from the Sig P320 Owner's Forum:

The P320 X5 "...seemed to have fired out of battery, once fired case w/ 3.4gr of Alliant E3 & 147gr lead. Everything is fine minus the extractor. Anyone heard of 320's firing out of battery much before????"
https://www.facebook.com/ryan....s/10212149479043447/

Posts: 2854 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a short chamber in the conversion barrel. Did you take the barrel out and try dropping several different rounds in it to test the length (or measure it if you have the tools).

Just wondering.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
X-Change kit barrels are factory barrels, and I did the test you mentioned. There didn't seem to be a problem there. Good idea, though.

I should have the RMA from Sig tomorrow (Wednesday). This will be an interesting diagnosis.

Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Bump for update.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
***3rd UPDATE***

Back to Sig tomorrow (Friday the 9th). I boxed up the entire Caliber X-Change kit (slide assembly, grip frame, magazine) and included a paper bag with the two shell casings and the second blown extractor.

I'm not interested in getting it back quickly (as long as it's a reasonable length of time). I just need it fixed correctly. I've always had good luck with Sig Customer Service and hope for the same this time.

I suspect you will get back a whole new kit from SIG quickly, with a comment that goes something like, "Kit damaged. Replacement kit returned."

Q

Posts: 26297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Had a similar issue at the range today. The casing was clearly blown out where the chamber is unsupported at the feed ramp. Mine was an ammo issue. Put the extractor back in and she ran like a top...

Posts: 1962 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
I'm pulling the trigger and getting the Kaboom. This strongly suggests that the pistol is just a hair short of getting into battery, but close enough to get all of the stars aligned and fire the gun.
I don't own a P320, but when I clean my Sig's, (SP2022's and Classic P series )which is maybe about every three or four hundred rounds, I take a strip of a business card (.010" thick) and pinch it between the back of the barrel hood and the breech block and pull the trigger.

I've never had a hammer drop yet.

Seems like a good check to do occasionally.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Hi!

I thought some background information might help dispel some well-intended misapprehensions here.

1) A proper factory-spec P320 cannot fire via a striker blow unless the slide and barrel are sufficiently locked up as to safely contain chamber pressures from any SAAMI / DIN spec load.
Everyone has tested this to death, including us. It's beyond the scope of my post here to detail every aspect of why this is true. Please trust me on this: IT IS PRACTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to blow a normal factory round in that alleged manner, much less to obtain the portrayed result.

2) Imprudently-performed (trigger job) modifications, such as those we've seen which reduce trigger pretravel, can and do defeat the safety function of the striker lock. In conjunction with other modifications which reduce sear engagement and so forth, such pistols can be made to fire somewhat out of full battery. Such a circumstance still is very unlikely to produce the failures dscribed. The grester hazard to those wielding such work and bystanders is lack of drop safety integrity.

3) The images posted here show blown cases which appear consistent with grossly excessive chamber pressure, such as seen in over/double-charged loads.

4) In most every case I've looked into, overcharged hand loads or reman ammo have ultimately been implicated. Shooters often forget what they are shooting, or inadvertently mix reloads with factory stuff by mistake. It happens all the time and I've done it myself.

Thanks for letting me weigh in.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
Hi!

I thought some background information might help dispel some well-intended misapprehensions here.

1) A proper factory-spec P320 cannot fire via a striker blow unless the slide and barrel are sufficiently locked up as to safely contain chamber pressures from any SAAMI / DIN spec load.
Everyone has tested this to death, including us. It's beyond the scope of my post here to detail every aspect of why this is true. Please trust me on this: IT IS PRACTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to blow a normal factory round in that alleged manner, much less to obtain the portrayed result.

2) Imprudently-performed (trigger job) modifications, such as those we've seen which reduce trigger pretravel, can and do defeat the safety function of the striker lock. In conjunction with other modifications which reduce sear engagement and so forth, such pistols can be made to fire somewhat out of full battery. Such a circumstance still is very unlikely to produce the failures dscribed. The grester hazard to those wielding such work and bystanders is lack of drop safety integrity.

3) The images shown here show blown cases which appear consistent with grossly excessive chamber pressure, such as seen in over/double-charged loads.

4) In most every case I've looked into, handliads or reman ammo has ultimately been implicated. Shooters often forget what they were shooting, or inadvertently mix reliads with factory stuff by mustake. It happens all the time.

-Bruce

Mine was some 115 gr HSM orange box ammo that had been in storage for 20+ years. The rounds were loose in the box, that's why I wonder if they got knocked around over time and seated the bullet deeper in the casing.

Bruce, as for the trigger modifications you mention would a drop in trigger such as APEX or yours do this, or would it need to be more than a drop in...

Posts: 1962 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
Hi!

3) The images shown here show blown cases which appear consistent with grossly excessive chamber pressure, such as seen in over/double-charged loads.

4) In most every case I've looked into, handliads or reman ammo has ultimately been implicated. Shooters often forget what they were shooting, or inadvertently mix reliads with factory stuff by mustake. It happens all the time.

-Bruce

Mine was some 115 gr HSM orange box ammo that had been in storage for 20+ years. The rounds were loose in the box, that's why I wonder if they got knocked around over time and seated the bullet deeper in the casing.

Bruce, as for the trigger modifications you mention would a drop in trigger such as APEX or yours do this, or would it need to be more than a drop in...

Our drop-in PELT triggers do not affect function of the striker lock. Neither does the Apex analogue. Our patent-pending competition fire control triggers kits are drop safe, at any pull weight. We invested a couple years of R&D and testing to invent a fully reliable system that preserves the excellent safety values of the factory design, while affirding a reduced, clean pull. No other trigger jobs we've seen meet that safety standard. It's an important point.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Hi, Bruce, thanks for your input.

While the possibility certainly exists, I can't imagine the odds against an Aguila round from one new box and a Winchester White Box round from a second new box having the same failure on consecutive days.

Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
BTT for update.

posted Hide Post
[img]https://s19.postimg.org/kr2iyygi7/P6190600.jpg"> [/IMG] [img]https://s19.postimg.org/c4z9ed4i7/P6190598.jpg"> [/IMG] [URL= ] [/URL]

I don't think it's hot loads. It looks like the back of the chamber is short leaving the case unsupported. The CZ clone barrel shows full support. A .380 case also looks properly supported.

Posts: 5 | Location: 75149 | Registered: June 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry all my pictures didn't post

Posts: 5 | Location: 75149 | Registered: June 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:

I've had two pistols blown up by HSM orange box ammunition, and won't ever shoot it again.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry didn't mean to say there aren't hot loads out there, just that I've run a bunch of 9mm through my S&W Sigma and 2 CZ clones and never had a case look like that. Including reloads. I wonder why so much of the case is unsupported on the P320, has anyone had these issues on other models?

posted Hide Post
CZ

Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
My Kb blew out the extractor (as Sig says it's designed to do) but otherwise the gun was fine. I just popped the extractor back in and the gun still runs like a top. Just a note - had this been one of my Glocks this would be a different story IMHO. The metal chassis of the P320 prevented any damage to the frame (or my hand). The Glock has no metal in that area of the frame/grip. Just a theory but it makes sense to me. (around the breech)

Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
For comparison:

P320 Barrel

Glock 19 Barrel