SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Underwood +P+ in a P938 ??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Underwood +P+ in a P938 ?? Login/Join 
posted
I'm sure I know what SIG would say, if I asked re the suitability of a P938 to handle the....'enthusiasm' of the 90-grain loads, at 1550 FPS(advertised; test barrel), out of the 938....so, I'm wondering if anyone has had any empirical experience with runnin' hotter stuff through a 938...

Thanks much.

----------------

Also, while on the topic:

I have some Underwood 140-grain Xtreme Penetrator, and some 115-grain Xtreme Defender, for use in
the P220 10mm, and expect no problem....or, should I?

Posts: 2 | Registered: June 28, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yike! Maybe just a few rounds for function test and carry, but not a steady diet.
I use Underwood in 10mm and .40 but not for practice and I stay with some of their tamer loads.
If you call and talk to Underwood, they will tell you that all their loads meet SAAMI specs.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
As a famous sportscaster used to say, “Whoa, Nellie!”

ETA; Welcome to SIGforum.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Redhookbklyn,

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that SAAMI specifications are about chamber pressure and not having the gun blow up, but there are other factors to consider, especially slide velocity in autoloading pistols. Guns like the P226 have different weight slides and recoil springs for 357 SIG and 40 S&W versus 9mm Parabellum not to keep them from blowing up, but to keep their more powerful cartridges from battering their frames excessively. For that reason Grayguns even offers a more powerful recoil spring to be used in P226s that fire high volumes of +P 9mm ammunition.

Slide velocity is affected by the momentum of the bullet and in that regard the load mentioned above isn’t that extreme. Even from a test barrel its power factor (which is a way of comparing the momentum of different loads) is about 140, whereas the PF of the Gold Dot 124 grain +P load from a P229 is about 149. Out of a P229 the PF of Winchester 124 gn. NATO (Q4318) is 141; that’s a load whose velocity runs only slightly higher than the standard pressure 124 grain Gold Dot.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I'd pass on the Underwood offerings and just get cartridges loaded by the maker of those bullets (Lehigh Defense). Their "Xtreme Penetrators" work just fine at regular pressures and you won't be subjecting your pistol to unnecessary stresses.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Underwood +P+ in a P938 ??

From the sound of this ammo, I suspect you're going to have cycling problems, get your hand beat up, or both. But the only way to know is to try some.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you call and talk to Underwood, they will tell you that all their loads meet SAAMI specs.

Is there a SAAMI spec for +P+?

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Not to my knowledge.

Rather than attempting to push a .380 to this level, the OP should start looking at 9x19mm pocket pistols.

The only thing in favor of using 90 grain slugs pushed that hard in .380 ACP is the pistol he's using, which fires from a locked breech, which mitigates the possibility of a cartridge case head separation. To be fair, though, the stated velocity figure is likely fudged a bit, even beyond the velocity obtained in what is probably a four inch test barrel.

Get a 9x19mm pocket pistol. Unlike in years past, the market is flooded with such pistols.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Not to my knowledge.

Rather than attempting to push a .380 to this level, the OP should start looking at 9x19mm pocket pistols.

The only thing in favor of using 90 grain slugs pushed that hard in .380 ACP is the pistol he's using, which fires from a locked breech, which mitigates the possibility of a cartridge case head separation. To be fair, though, the stated velocity figure is likely fudged a bit, even beyond the velocity obtained in what is probably a four inch test barrel.

Get a 9x19mm pocket pistol. Unlike in years past, the market is flooded with such pistols.

The P938 IS a 9mm.............! [i.e., not a P238.]

------------------------

I wasn't aware that Lehigh D offers cartridges of their own manufacture. Thanks for that mention, 'pulicords'.

Posts: 2 | Registered: June 28, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would want to know the terminal performance of the round from that pistol (or a barrel that short) before even contemplating it.

It is probable that there are standard pressure loads that do better anyway.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no +P+. It's a joke and a grab at a term to suggest a more powerful (SAAMI) load.

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems counterproductive, given the short barrel. Get something more appropriate to the pistol.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I sure as hell wouldn't use them. There are a bunch of proven defensive alternatives to choose from. At 90 gr I'd worry about functionality in a 938 myself.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I shot 50 rounds out of a rented P938 and my hand was stinging from plinking loads. +P+ loads would not be pleasant.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't do it. The 938 slide is pretty light, the recoil spring is not overly heavy, and the frame is aluminum, and scaled to be a pocket pistol.

I think you are asking for trouble, and given the short barrel, thin grip and intended short range use, I think it's overkill.

Can the gun handle the round? Probably, for proof of concept and carry, but I think it's asking for trouble to feed it a steady diet of that stuff.

I use 124 Speer Gold Dots in mine. I find them accurate, reliable, and I have not read anything on this forum, or the wider internet which questions the effectiveness of the round. Thus, it seems to me to be an unnecessary risk to run that kind of power in such a small package. Something of a "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" kind of analysis.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12744 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Go ahead, it's your gun, your hands, and your face if the thing blows up in your face.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have fired the +P version of this round from my 365XL and although it hurt my wrist initially there were no issues with the round feeding. The +P+ is finally back in stock but I’m reluctant to use it. The +P+ is a down in it’s shadow hog killer out to 50 yards but an all steel 1911 handles the pressure nicely.
Has anyone tried the HST Micro in a 365XL? Maybe that low flame low recoil and low smoke round is more appropriate for an up close SD tool like the 365 series?
Thanks

Posts: 92 | Location: NM | Registered: May 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
If you want a .357 magnum, buy a .357 magnum.

You aren't going to make some little squat 9mm extra killeriffic.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34082 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can only offer what the Underwood Extreme Defender 90 grain +P+ does to hogs. It is brutal. Devastating. Final. There’s no bonded hollow point that comes close to what the Underwood round does. A hog just laughs at a standard clogged up 9mm hollow point. I’m just reluctant to use the 90 grain +P+in a pocket pistol like the 365XL.
Anyone use the HST 150 grain micro in the P365XL? Does it feed well?
Thanks

Posts: 92 | Location: NM | Registered: May 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post