SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Colt Python thoughts after owning one for two weeks.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt Python thoughts after owning one for two weeks. Login/Join 
Picture of bripro
posted
It was about two weeks since I posted a few pictures of a new to me Python.

It was manufactured in 1969 and is supposedly all original. I have my suspicions about that. I brought it to three of my regular shops and everyone so far can't decide for sure on the bluing. The only reason to be suspicious is the fact that its so nice. Not a bad problem to have at all. The stocks also have a slight misalignment where they meet on the underside of the grip. A few guys said Colt was somewhat sloppy with the stocks, especially for their flagship revolver. They apparently brought in a cheaper hardwood from overseas and the grips went on after the hand fitting and polishing? I haven't researched this too much because again this is not a bad problem to have. At the end of the day I'm tickled to death to have found it at a fair price in the crazy inflated market these days.

I have had it out to the range on two occasions. About a hundred rounds went down the pipe on each trip. The long story made short is that I am very impressed with it. It wasn't sighted in for me at the beginning of the first trip but I shot a few cylinders through anyway just to marvel at my tight groups although they were far left and high. I usually need to adjust my rear blade further to the right than most shooters because I have left eye dominance but shoot with my right hand. Once I did that and lowered it a bit the center of the targets didn't stand a chance up to about fifty feet. The groups opened up at further distances but the gun itself wasn't to blame, the culprit was the shooter himself. The trigger and action were everything they are known for and made shooting it very natural and a true pleasure.

I recently asked a local forum if Python owners felt they were worth their current value. Although most owners agreed that the market is running wild they also mostly agreed that there was something special about the gun. I realize that I still have many things to learn about my newest acquisition but so far I certainly agree that there is something special about the Colt Python.

If anyone is interested in watching a quick video of my particular Python here is a link to a YouTube video I put up. https://youtu.be/_1yDlBQMt90 Please feel free to let me know your feelings about whether or not the bluing is original.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Posts: 155 | Location: United States | Registered: May 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
I think the finish is in mighty fine condition for it's age. I saw your mentioning of it on another board.
If it is a refinish, so be it; few folks could not tell the diff. anyyway.
Congrats. ( makes me wanna take my 8" nickeled Python out of "drydock".)

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 182 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
If it means that much to you you might want to contact Colt and get a letter. Or at least ask their research department if they can tell you whether they have records of it being returned for a re-bloom. That's a beautiful revolver.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Python was/is on my bucket list of firearms.

I still get sick to my stomach on the one I passed up on in Cols OH at a sporting good store about 20 years ago.

I can still see its exact location in the case.

Even though it is on my bucket list, there is no way I would pay the prices they are asking for them now.

Many a day ago I bought a King Cobra with a 4" barrel. It is a great revolver but the trigger action is not as smooth as the python even after hundreds of rounds.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I certainly couldn’t tell you if the bluing is original, but I can tell you I think it’s beautiful! Enjoy that beautiful work of art!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yours could be original, mine is a '68 that i bought new & has never been refinished.

Posts: 2211 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like the original "Royal Blue" from what I can see of your photos.
And this finish is attained by a very high degree of metal polishing before bluing.
Pythons were known for it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
I bought my '61 Python in '80. It was reblued prior to my purchase. But, I got it strictly as a shooter so I didn't care. It has never disappointed me. Everyone who has tried it has been very impressed with it.

The fit of the grips is pretty darn good, in my opinion.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fine addition to the family

Many older Pythons retain a very good finish

I have a few Pythons, but my 6" is one of my favorites

I have always found them to be exceptionally accurate

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bripro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
yours could be original, mine is a '68 that i bought new & has never been refinished.

It appears that your grips don’t line up perfectly where they meet as well. Just ever so slightly but I think I see it in the photo. Perhaps there is some truth to what I was told about the grips not getting as much attention as the rest of the gun.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Posts: 155 | Location: United States | Registered: May 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your Python. The grips have a beautiful grain pattern. I have a 63 snubbie and the bluing is amazing, shoot it and enjoy.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2751 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 4” barrel Python. I loved it. It was accurate and superb weapon. Without going into detail it and other guns “were stolen “ by her and former in-laws in a nasty divorce.

Few revolvers are as well made.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
love my Python...mine is a 90s Python Elite, bright stainless. trigger is amazing but I put the soft shooting grips on it..btw, CDNN has replacement wood, medallion grips for $49

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
Colts bluing is so deep, it looks like you can fall into it. beautiful guns

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bripro:
quote:

It appears that your grips don’t line up perfectly where they meet as well. Just ever so slightly but I think I see it in the photo. Perhaps there is some truth to what I was told about the grips not getting as much attention as the rest of the gun.

i'm not sure which part of the grip you're referring to on mine that you feel is misaligned, front, back or bottom.

Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

i'm not sure which part of the grip you're referring to on mine that you feel is misaligned, front, back or bottom.

I think bripro is talking about the glare on the front of the grip that makes it look like the left grip panel is sticking out from the right panel.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bripro
posted Hide Post
That is what I did see. If it’s just a reflection my apologies. I thought there was a slight misalignment right about where your last three knuckles would be on your shooting hand.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

posted Hide Post
I would believe yours to be original OP, I just fell into a 1967 model from the original owner and it looks brand new. He said he shot two cylinders and put it away....and it looks like it. That bluing is phenomenal.

Posts: 24 | Registered: March 28, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is what I did see. If it’s just a reflection my apologies. I thought there was a slight misalignment right about where your last three knuckles would be on your shooting hand.

is this a better view?

Picture of bripro
posted Hide Post
^^ Sure is. Thank you. Looks great.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"