SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P210 new vs original
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P210 new vs original Login/Join 
Picture of tonelar
posted
I have always been a fan of this iconic pistol, yet I never could really afford one.

A Sig Sauer P210 recently made it to a LGS here and they have it tagged for $1299.

I occasionally see original Sigs going for double that price on gunbroker.

Is the original a better handgun than the remake? Is it 2x better?

I tried the search function and it returned a few threads, but none answered my question.

quote:
RIPbiker13:
...even a .22 in your pocket is better than a .45 in your truck.

Posts: 702 | Location: El Paso, TEXAS | Registered: March 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I have a P210 A Target, like you I have always wanted a Swiss P210 but the price is just prohibitive for me at this time.
I love my P210 Target, smooth as glass action, accurate, nice finish to it.

No regerts

Permission granted!

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
When I lusted for a P210 there were no other options than to pony-up for a Swiss model. That I did. I spent about $3000 for an unfired Swiss P210-6 with adjustable sights. While I have never regretted my purchase, a constant worry for me is parts availability should I ever need them. And original P210 magazine are obscenely expensive.

I have never held or fired one of the new models, but I would hope that parts availability and service is way better than for the Swiss guns. And considering the price differential, I would say go for the new model.

P210fullleft1k by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my P210A back in February and it has fast become my favorite of the bunch. Easily the last I would let go of. Much like other I find the older examples to be too much of a burden on my expendable income which pushed me toward a P210A standard. Glass smooth, one of the best triggers on a factory pistol. I can't knock it save for magazine capacity, and thats not really a knock against it.

I got mine for cheaper than that price, but the market seems to be driving the price up.

Posts: 48 | Registered: July 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Since the '80s I have owned a few of the Swiss 210s. They are of superlative quality IMHO. The only gripe I've ever had with the Swiss guns is a personal one. The hammers bite me badly, and the heel type magazine release has always been less than desirable to me.

I resisted buying a German Legend 210 because I thought they would be a big disappointment compared to the Swiss guns. Turns out a couple of changes to the German 210s have made them a favorite of mine, the beavertail and side button type magazine release. I'm a long time 1911 and Hi Power guy, so the new magazine release is natural to me. The beavertail back strap redesign has reduced my hammer bite blood shed to zero.

I was sure the American 210A would be a poor knock off, if not absolute trash. IMHO, few 210 purists will ever accept the 210A as being worthy of having "210" in the model designation. I can understand that position. Along with the obvious external differences, the lockwork is MIM, and some have experienced the muzzle end of the recoil spring assy. breaking off. That being said, I took a chance, and bought a 210A almost three years ago. Barrel/slide/frame fit and trigger quality is equal to the Swiss and German guns I've owned. I'm just guessing I have have 1500 or so rounds through mine. Trigger pull on mine was a clean ~3 1/2# as received, and has now settled down to a clean ~3 1/4#. Shooting carefully as I can from the bench with a variety of factory ammo, accuracy with my 210A is on a par with my Swiss and German versions. That being said, the best group I've shot anytime recently was with my current Swiss 210-6, a 1.4" 5-shot group at 25 yards. I couldn't do it again though. Q tested his American 210A and got groups down around one inch, but judging from the groups he posted, he is a much better shot with any of the 210s than me. I suspect some, perhaps many, of you are too.

In any case, I don't regret purchasing the American 210A, and believe they are worth the asking price.

By the way GaryBF, your 210-6 is a beauty. My first -6 had adjustable sights, and I much the prefer adjustables to the fixed sights of my current -6 and German Legend.

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tonelar
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses, y’all. I’ll stop by the gun shop again on friday. I phoned them after getting home and they have a couple.
I’m kinda impressed that their price is just retail. With the covid pricing I imagined everything would be much more expensive.

quote:
RIPbiker13:

Posts: 702 | Location: El Paso, TEXAS | Registered: March 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Therer’s lots of opinion about the values of Swiss made P210 pistol when they are compared to German or US Made variances. Most of it is ownership pride and the believe that “expensive” was correlationg with “quality” by ignoring that the shooting community was willing to pay the high price SIG set based on demand. The much lower price of the US version is reflection a much more reflected price which we have to regard, was only possible because of the flexible manufacturing concepts introduced in recent years and the output of other SIGSauer made products that covered some of the costs of the P210. SIG Neuhausen could have achieved it as well but was not willing to do it since the market was paying the price.
Regarding quality there is no difference when you look at its performance. There is some people though who are claiming that quality of Swiss made SIG´s was better then pistols made in Germany after 1995 or recently in the US. This claim is baseless because there is absolutely no information available that is covering vintage SIG production concepts nor any specifications regarding tolerances or other claims that become popular in defense of Swiss made P210 pistols.
So when it comes down to the bottom line there will be no difference between the variants if you use the performance as a reference, and even if one would group better then the other you can ask yourself what difference it would make in a competition. If one is not able to constantly shot a 4” pattern off hand at 25yds he would not profit form the minor differences anyway.
If you are a collector, then it is justified because what other argument have you got to justify the price you paid.
I own a couple of P210´s and I belong to the second group.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tonelar
posted Hide Post
I do kinda baby my W German Sig Sauers since parts and factory support aren’t available like they once were.

Truck gun and EDC are more often the newer generation Sigs (i.e. 416, 320 and 365).

Again, thanks for the the responses, y’all. Brought it home last week, going shooting tomorrow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tonelar,

quote:
RIPbiker13: