SIGforum
Help! Which H&K?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7130076914

February 19, 2017, 10:53 AM
sigspecops
Help! Which H&K?
I plan on ordering a P320 compact today and then I'll have one more gun to buy with my tax return. I've always wanted a Beretta 92 compact but I've also wanted a H&K P2000 v2. But now there's also the VP9 to consider.
For those of you who own or have owned the P2000, how do feel about them? Does anyone own the VP9 and the P2000? Which do you prefer? I know how they differ, I'm just asking your opinions.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
February 19, 2017, 11:00 AM
GaryBF
I own a P2000 that started life as V2 and is now V1. I like the size and feel of the P2000 and I like the LEM trigger, except for how far back in the frame the trigger breaks.
February 19, 2017, 11:10 AM
Uncle Malice
I have the P2000 and VP9(as well as many other HK's). Both are great. The P2000 is a fantastic carry gun. Mine is a V3 though.

The VP9 is great, but the P2000 is smaller. If they make a VP9 Compact, I'll be all over it - but I have no interest in an SK model. Until then, I think the P2000 is HK's best 9mm CCW pistol with the HK 45C being the best 45acp CCW.
February 19, 2017, 11:49 AM
az4783054
Striker vs hammer. Both have their pros and cons. You're on the right track with a P320.

I have not owned a VP9/40 but I've had four P2000 pistols. It's probably one of the most under appreciated HK pistols in their offerings. All of mine have been V2 LEM and in each caliber. V2 is my preference over much lighter V1.

The P2000 carries just as easily as a P2000sk with an iwb holster. I think it has a better grip w/o the front strap finger grooves like it's smaller counter part. Longer sight radius and greater capacity is an advantage. I hate using an X-GRIP on a P2000sk.

Find someone nearby or rent a P2000 and judge for yourself. We're all made different.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.
February 19, 2017, 11:55 AM
cslinger
Have owned a VP9 but it left me cold. For HKs hammer fired for me. I love the P2000 it's probably my favorite working gun. They are thin, comfortable, reliable, accurate and just st a great all around gun. Think hammer fired Glock 19/23.

The P2000 was over priced back in the day. Today it's a bargain.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
February 19, 2017, 12:15 PM
patw
I had a P2000 and liked it a lot. My only gripe with it, is that I have large hands and grip high so the hammer would constantly bite me due to the smaller tang. I also had a VP9 and a P30 but sold them both as the paddle/magazine release rubber my finger every time I fired it and it became uncomfortable to shoot. They fit my hands better and with no hammer bite. The grip/frame is the best thought out in my opinion. You can adjust all sides depending on your preference. I like HK firearms as they are well made but have to settle with the USP models. Now, if they made a USP compact with adjustable grips and a real rail for lights,we would be talking.

The Beretta compact is a little big for what it is but they shoot nice. I only have a full size model now and it will be the last pistol I will ever part with. It is very accurate and light recoiling for me. The compact is the same way but like I said, a little big for me,especially with ccw.
February 19, 2017, 12:32 PM
sakata8242
For current pricing, the P30SK is hard to pass up.
February 19, 2017, 12:49 PM
CQB60
P30Sk

February 19, 2017, 01:31 PM
Ken 3D
I have a p2000sk that I carry from time to time. I find it to be somewhat chunky on how it feels carrying and shooting it. The grip is big with your little finger under the mag. Not trying to be overly critical of this gun, but I have other carry guns I like better.....sig p239 and glock 43 come to mind. My HK 45c feels better in my hand than the p2000sk and not much different carrying it.
February 19, 2017, 01:43 PM
grumpy1
If you are not going to CCW your HK then IMO the VP9 makes a lot more sense.

As others mentioned take a look at the P30SK too if you are considering CCW. Terrific subcompact. I got mine in LEM and just love it though I have no plans to make my DA/SA HKs LEM but for CCW it makes a lot of sense.
February 19, 2017, 01:51 PM
zdog16
This one the 45CT. P2000 style grip in .45.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

February 19, 2017, 01:59 PM
Davenator
The P2000-LEM is currently my favorite all around gun. It's the same size as the Glock 19 but fits me better (No slide bite or reload pinch). It gives me a hammer, which I believe is safer, particularly for reholstering. A lot of people seem to struggle with LEM but I have had no issue adapting to it. I shoot it at least as well as my DA/SA.

The only downside is the lack of aftermarket sights choices.

I like my P30 and VP9 too but find the P2000 is much easier to conceal.
February 19, 2017, 02:12 PM
justjoe
I have a VP9 and like it. You could save a little bit of money and get a Walther PPQ. The trigger is just about as good, I think. And if you can wait, the new, forthcoming striker CZ is supposed to have a phenomenal trigger. It was supposed to be out in January, but they have pushed back to April.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."
February 19, 2017, 02:23 PM
grumpy1
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
I have a VP9 and like it. You could save a little bit of money and get a Walther PPQ. The trigger is just about as good, I think. And if you can wait, the new, forthcoming striker CZ is supposed to have a phenomenal trigger. It was supposed to be out in January, but they have pushed back to April.

PPQ and VP9 are very close in price. Since OP wants to get an HK the VP9 is a terrific gun and very well proven design being out for 2 1/2 years now.

It's going to be a while before the CZ P10C is shown to be reliable and I am guessing OP does not want to wait a year or more. If you watch MAC second video on it he says that on the T&E CZ P10C trigger was not quite as good as the PPQ and in a posting on the High Road Forum he says the only thing the CZ P10C beats the PPQ on is price. I bet it is going to be a nice pistol but a LOT of silly hype about it right now like the Sootch "reviews".
February 19, 2017, 03:50 PM
Lefty Sig
P30 is great and only slightly larger than a P2000. The interchangeable side and rear panels on the grip (like the VP9) allow me to configure it to the best fitting pistol I've ever held. P2000 is OK, but the P30 is better.

Personally I like the P30S variants with the ambi-safety. Can carry safety on DA/SA, safety off with DA/SA or cocked and locked, your choice.

VP9 and PPQ are great too. It's all about what you like and what fits you. The PPQ does have the best striker-fired trigger of any of the major brands - better than the VP9, and the grip is great, but a little different, so it's a personal choice. VP9 takedown is like a Sig with no trigger pull required if that makes a difference to you.

Nice thing about the VP9 is that it can share holsters with the P30 and HK45, and the mags are the same between the P30 and VP9. The P2000 mags are different.
February 19, 2017, 03:53 PM
pwright
Had a vp9, now I have a p30 light lem 9mm and love it.

Paul Wright
February 19, 2017, 05:39 PM
sigspecops
Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm leaning towards the P2000. Its a good size and I like how the grip feels. I'd like a V1 but they're very scarce and when I do find one there's a big price increase.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
February 19, 2017, 07:20 PM
GaryBF
quote:
I'd like a V1 but they're very scarce and when I do find one there's a big price increase.

Conversion from V2 to V1 is not very difficult, and you don't have to go full V1 either.
February 19, 2017, 07:37 PM
teufel-hunden
I recommend the P2000, can't speak to the other. I've carried the P2000 .40, light LEM and the P2000SK .40, light LEM in an OWB holster for about 7 years. The P2000SK primarily in the summer when I usually wear shorts and a t-shirt and the P2000 the rest of the time. Both are a pleasure to shoot even with the hot .40 cal. cartridge. The light LEM trigger really improves accuracy IMO and the P2000 is so light weight I often forget it's on my side. I've had NO issues with reliability with either gun and I've qualified with both at least annually. I think the P2000 has a better (stock) grip than the HK45C, and I have large hands. As a comparison, I also like the feel of the grip on the Beretta 92FS, the Sig P226, P229 and P227.

Semper Fi,

teufel-hunden
February 19, 2017, 07:44 PM
cslinger
How'd you get that TLR-1 on that HK45C???

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."