SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Decided to make a change.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decided to make a change. Login/Join 
Picture of giz55792
posted
I bought my CPO P229 chambered in 40 S&W last fall and really enjoy the gun, so much so it had become my carry gun. All that will change this coming Tuesday, the 357 SIG barrel and ammo will be here to make the conversion.

After reading the posts on here about how those that own a SIG in 357 and researching the ballistics, I am giving it a try.

I went with a SIG 357 SIG barrel and Federal HST for the carry load. Can't wait to get it to the range and try it.

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
You picked a winner, I love 357Sig.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A P229 chambered for 357 SIG is my daily companion.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I bought my 229/.40 while stationed in Germany in the late ‘90’s, and ordered a second barrel in .357 SIG while there. Had to send the gun into the factory in Eckernforde to have it fitted and proofed, and they added an “A” to the serial number. Anyway, I should probably try it out one of these days, huh? Eek

OP, please let us know how you like the change; maybe I’ll try I mine.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
You'll love the upgrade to 357 Sig.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1529 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
.357 Sig is a great and very underrated round. I too have a P229 in .357 Sig and it is a good CCW set up. I think you will enjoy it. Less muzzle flip then .40 S&W and in my opinion a far better round.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't own a .40s&w unless there was a .357sig barrel available or it. My platform choice was a P320c, however.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I carried one of my .40 229s for several years before switching over to the .357 SIG version that I'd bought together with the .40s when I was stationed in Germany during the early/mid 90's.

Along with the 229s, I had a 239 chambered in .357 SIG, a 226 and currently, a Gen 4 G32 and Gen 4 G31. Love the caliber.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
You'll love it.

As a big pusher of 357, I'm happy people are still getting into this round!

Also, it's always fun shooting in public.

Whenever we go to some type of firearms school, we always try to go to the end of the line and let everyone else start shooting, then we shoot. BOOM! Everyone always stops and looks over.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite round, especially in my P239. Nasty!

________________________________________________________________________________________
“How dismal it is to see present day Americans yearning for the very orthodoxy that their country was founded to escape.” ~ Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 123 | Location: Pikesville, MD | Registered: February 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Good on ya!

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Let us know your thoughts.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P239 & P226 are both originally chambered in 357 SIG. I am a believer.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Love the round.

Get some bonded Underwood ammo. Its rated at 1,500 FPS out of that size of gun. Eek

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find myself going the other way with it. I had a p239 in 357 that I converted to .40 and have never looked back. Traded the barrel away. Dont dog the .40, it's an awesome round despite what all of the "experts" on the internet say.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
This likely won't be your last venture into .357 SIG.

I started with a P2K then a G33 then a G32.

Wouldn't mind a 1911 in the cartridge, then Sig came out with one. Been a few years since I've bought a pistol so that might be next. Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigs are not the only platform for 357 Sig. I converted a Shield .40 to .357 and love it. .357 Sig shot very low and I changed the front sight to adjust it.

Bill

Posts: 137 | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
This likely won't be your last venture into .357 SIG.

I started with a P2K then a G33 then a G32.

Wouldn't mind a 1911 in the cartridge, then Sig came out with one. Been a few years since I've bought a pistol so that might be next. Big Grin

I have a Nightmare Carry in 357sig. Get one and notice after the first shot the smile on your face.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loved my P226 in .357 Sig, still regret selling it, but I was in a caliber consolidation period. Great shooting pistol and round.

Posts: 346 | Location: Detroit | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cous2492:
I find myself going the other way with it. I had a p239 in 357 that I converted to .40 and have never looked back. Traded the barrel away. Dont dog the .40, it's an awesome round despite what all of the "experts" on the internet say.

There's nothing wrong with the .40 and I still plan on using it as such, I just wanted to try to .357

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post