SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    when did it become a requirement that a SD gun go 1,000 rds without a malfunction to be 'safe to carry' ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

when did it become a requirement that a SD gun go 1,000 rds without a malfunction to be 'safe to carry' ? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Question isn't whether you must prove that you gun can shoot 500-1000 rounds without choking. Question is why would you even own a carry gun that can't.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think 1000 rounds is a pretty ridiculous requirement. I'd be plenty good with 250 rounds of ammo through it. 100 rounds of fmj and 150 of my carry ammo, or all carry ammo.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Within my humble experience, if a gun, SD or otherwise, is going to malfunction, it will become apparent very soon,i.e., within the first few magazines. I don't recall any guns that worked reliably at first,then mysteriously started malfunctioning later. So while I always make sure that whatever ammo I'm using functions reliably, I don't have a specific round count in mind......ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
First magazine/cylinder-ful or 1001st round, if it needs breaking, I'll get 'er done.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I don’t shoot much these days. I own two pistols that’ve — over the last year — had several hundreds of rounds through without any cleaning until last month when I decided to wipe them down. Neither missed a single beat. A Gen5-19 and a P30S.

The P30S will be carry.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
Question isn't whether you must prove that you gun can shoot 500-1000 rounds without choking. Question is why would you even own a carry gun that can't.

Because 100% reliability is nearly impossible to achieve with a mechanical device. Furthermore, reliability is only one factor in pistol selection. If it was the over riding factor, we'd all carry Ruger revolvers.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indeed, we cannot get a 100% reliability. Which is why expression of a firearm's reliability in percentages is something that's reserved for hobbyist discussion web boards. Professional quantification of firearms uses something else, for example "mean rounds between stoppages". Everyone is free to set their own thresholds. I keep an excel spreadsheet for my guns' round counts and I am used to my guns going thousands of rounds before choking. My first Glock 19 went 15K without a stoppage till I sold it, did break one spring but still kept firing. P30 about 5000 rounds before breaking a return spring. Beretta about 9000 rounds before wearing off recoil spring and causing a stoppage. Several guns are in 5000 range and haven't had a stoppage. Shadow 2, which is a game gun, 13000 rounds and counting. So in my book of expectations, if a carry gun can't get through a half case to a case of ammo, it is a POS and I am not interested. Reliability is indeed not the only factor in pistol selection. It is the primary factor though, everything else follows unless you're talking about some niche options like true pocket sized guns.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’m not Miculek. I like to shoot a case of ammo to prove its’ reliabily, and more importantly for me to acclimate to the firearm, etc. I carry all my handguns save one dedicated for HD/range. So yeah, I like to get a case or two of ammo through each for multiple reasons. Certainly not a requirement though.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
It started when the Internet Tactical "operators" took over the internet.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
All my guns are top tier manufacturers (Sig, HK, Ruger, Springfield, etc.) so I am not terribly concerned about extensive break-in or “torture” testing a gun before carry. As another reply noted, most likely if there is a problem is won’t take long to surface. I’ll add - especially in a quality gun.

Now if I was carrying Taurus, Hi-Point, etc. I would probably be a little more concerned and spend some more time/ammo before feeling comfortable.

That said, usually 150-250 rounds and unless there has been a serious problem, I consider it good to go. In part because that is the number of rounds I will haved shot in 1-2 range sessions and also because at that point I am going to be familiar enough with the gun’s ergonomics and function. Of those rounds, at least 2-3 mags of my current SD ammo to be sure it will feed/function without worry.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
YMMV but for a semi I like 200 rounds of FMJ, then 50 of whatever I carry. For wheel gun I cut it in half because I'm not testing magazines.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll shoot around 250 rounds of FMJ through a new carry gun, but I think it has more to do with me getting used to the gun and less about it’s reliability.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The point is moot in a crowd of gun enthusiasts. We tend to carry guns that we like. As enthusiasts, we will likely train with said guns as well. An enthusiasts gun may see hundreds to thousands of rounds before being shelved to begin the process over again with a new gun.

The anecdotal (as best I can perceive) 1000 rounds may be targeted at the pews filled with people that buy a gun just to say they have one. The argument often has more merit there as a non-gun enthusiasts may be willing to pick up a lower tier of firearm for self defense. For example, if I had to depend on a Phoenix or Lorcin I would want at least 1000 rounds through it.

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
300 rounds of ball and 100 of duty rounds are my standard test.

Posts: 4801 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
I can understand to shoot 50 – 100 rounds until one is familiar with sights and trigger, but the need of 1000 rounds is more of an indicator for the lack of basic shooting skills and a sound malfunction management.

Trusting a gun is a fatal delegation of responsiblities anyway.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Big name experts that write articles and likely get free or lower cost ammo to shoot have promoted this.

Sure, I’d like to be able to do that to be as close to 100% as possible. But how many of us can justify consuming ammo that costs way more than the price of the gun to test it to that degree?

I only carry guns that are known to be highly reliable out of the box. Then I shoot a few hundred rounds of FMJ in different brands. After that I’ll use a box or two of carry ammo.

All the Sig P’s, Glocks and S&W guns I’ve done this with have been flawless and I consider ready to carry.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
I can understand to shoot 50 – 100 rounds until one is familiar with sights and trigger, but the need of 1000 rounds is more of an indicator for the lack of basic shooting skills and a sound malfunction management.

Trusting a gun is a fatal delegation of responsiblities anyway.

Right. Far better to carry an unreliable weapon and rely upon personal skill...

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post