SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question: What to use and How to make guns ready for long term storage?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question: What to use and How to make guns ready for long term storage? Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted
As the title says: I'm looking at storing handguns for quite a long time, maybe 2 to 4 years. It's going to be sheltered but it won't be air-conditioned.

Average high temperature is 95 degrees with hottest hitting 115 degrees. Average low is 38 degrees with the smallest of chances going to 32 degrees.

Humidity is a constant 0%. You guys asking about the humidity made me look again. I swear the one page I saw said constant 0% but I looked at other sites and it says average is 75%. (I know, BIG difference between 0 and 75.

Fieldstripping is the lowest level I plan on doing. If I have to, I can take the grip panels off but I'd rather not.

My initial thoughts are 1) clean them as I normally would, 2) slather petroleum jelly/vaseline all over, 3) wrap it in saran wrap and 4) put them in gun bags and store them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rey HRH,

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
How are you going to keep humidity at 0% ??

If it was me I would probably clean the pistols. Apply Eezox as per instructions and allow it to DRY. Then put in VCI bags such as the ones below getting as much air out as possible. Eezox can be hard to find but usually on Ebay. If you go the grease route I would use RIG grease instead of Vaseline. Zerust makes capsules too for inside storage container.

https://www.amazon.com/Zerust-...300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Well, I've heard of people who rented bank desposit boxes and left firearms in them. Even saw Jason Bourne do it. Was told you can't place firearms in them, though. Wink

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
How are you going to keep humidity at 0% ??

If it was me I would probably clean the pistols. Apply Eezox as per instructions and allow it to DRY. Then put in VCI bags such as the ones below getting as much air out as possible. Eezox can be hard to find but usually on Ebay. If you go the grease route I would use RIG grease instead of Vaseline. Zerust makes capsules too for inside storage container.

I pulled the humidy off Google for the city where the stuff will be. It said it's pretty much zero (weather website).

I like that polybag, better than saran wrap or ziplock bags.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Well, I've heard of people who rented bank desposit boxes and left firearms in them. Even saw Jason Bourne do it. Was told you can't place firearms in them, though. Wink

I saw relatively big boxes; the bank said they don't sell those anymore. I was thinking the predominant use was drugs. Otherwise, I would be tempted.

posted Hide Post
OK I can't dig up the posts I've written about this in the past. I've tested the best way to store stuff in horrible environments (extreme humidity, water etc.). in an actual 0% humidity environment it is trivial, but I have a hard time believing that exists, but OK. The reason they put surplus airplanes in the desert is because not much happens. But in your case I suggest this. Spray the gun with something you like that is antirust (I use CLP, but there are many others), put it in a VCI bag, add a VCI emitter. Seal the bag. Come back and all will be fine. If there are any wood products like grips they will not do well in 0% so if that's an issue say so and I'll advise.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
I've had pistols laying around in some drawers for 4 years without any particular problems. I do pull them out and clean them occasionally but some have gone 2 years at least. I've had a shotgun in a closet I havent shot for 12 years. Take it apart and wipe it down with clp once in a while but that has gone 3 or four years.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I started using ZeRust's Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor (VCI) bags in 2013 when I wasn't able to locate a supplier for Rust Inhibitor Grease (RIG) because the manufacture went out of business. Birchwood Casey ended up buying the formula and sells it today, but the bags are a much cleaner method to protect guns in storage.

Basically, VCI bags slowly release chemical compounds within a sealed airspace that actively prevents surface corrosion or oxidation on metals.

I realize that VCI bags are available on eBay and Amazon, but I prefer to buy from an expert because different VCI bags work with different metals and using the wrong bag can actually promote corrosion.

My source is out of Pittsburgh, PA. He gave me permission to share his contact info when I last purchased VCI bags in 2015.

The bags I use are ICT510 Multi-Metal VCI Bags. I tend to use bags larger than what is being stored so I can fold the end over several time before sealing as a way to trap the VCI in the bag. Keep in mind that both the inside and outside of the bag contains the VCI materials. Placing a bag in a sealed container will also protect the inside of the container and items not sealed inside the bag.

Rich Barko
Zelogtek LLC
(412) 833-8321
zelogtek@hotmail.com
www.Zelogtek.com

Here are the sizes and prices from my last purchase, no doubt the prices have changed. Because I'm a small buyer, around $75 a purchase ~ I am limited to bag sizes they carry for their military contracts.

ICT510 Multi-Metal VCI Bags:
4 x 3 at $0.25 small part bag
4 x 4 at $0.28 small part bag
8 x 12 at $1.20 handgun 5" and under barrel length
10 x 18 at $2.50 long barrel handgun
18 x 20 at $5.75 Fat 50cal Ammo Can Liner
14 x 60 at $8.50 Long gun Weapon bag (6-mill thick)

The 18 x 20 bag works really well lining Fat50 Ammo Cans and the gusseted bags that are flat bottomed work best. The non-gusseted bags work, but getting the bottom to fit takes a little more effort because they are not flat.

I have never gone 4 years without taking guns out of their VCI bags, I encourage you to contact Rich Barko at Zelogtek for advise. Let him know what materials the grips are made with, and the duration they will be sight unseen. They have other solutions that might work better in your specific situation. I think the VCI bags I purchase have a 5 year lifespan which is why I plan to replace them every 4 years. I actually write expiration dates on the bags based on what Rich tells me they will protect the contents.

VCI technology seems to improve with each of my purchases, what I've stated above may already be out of date.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Birchwood Casey RIG.

Its worked for me since 1966.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Before I was assigned overseas I prepared my handguns for storage in safe deposit boxes by spraying them heavily with LPS 3 rust inhibitor and then sealing them in ordinary plastic bags. I removed the stocks and sealed them separately to avoid contact with the inhibitor because I didn’t know what it might do to the wood. When I came back and retrieved them over five years later everything was in perfect condition.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

My initial thoughts are 1) clean them as I normally would, 2) slather petroleum jelly/vaseline all over, 3) wrap it in saran wrap and 4) put them in gun bags and store them.

Clean and lube.

Vacuum seal in heavy duty food storage bags. If there are sharp corners put an extra piece of the plastic over them.

---------------The Answer Is There Is No Answer---------------

Posts: 152 | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
Cosmoline

You can not go wrong with the old tried and true.

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Birchwood Casey RIG.

Spot on ,back in my olden days married to first wife I had no gun safe and hid guns in the attic.
She would never go up there
Some lived there for fifteen years Big Grin

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
RIG Grease.

And Breakfree Collector oil, for spots where it's not convenient to put grease (tight channels, etc.).

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Birchwood Casey RIG.

Here is a link to when RIG was sold to Birchwood Casey in 2009:
www.TheOutdoorWire.com/story/124098705303uhcfp1kya

Richard, you've been using RIG longer than I have been alive. Great to hear how well it has worked for so many years. I still have 1/2 a can of the original company's RIG.

The WW1 Trench Gun in my Photobucket album spent most of it's life in RIG. Absolutely fantastic product for long-term storage. These days, the VCI bags are an easier method but I am not going 5 years of sight unseen storage.

If I had to store a firearm sight unseen for 5+ years, I would go with RIG. I would probably vacuum seal it in a VCI bag, in this condition you could probably bury the firearm underground in a sealed waterproof PVC pipe and expect it to be in working condition once the extra RIG has been removed.

I came back to post advice about firearm placement in storage.

If you are storing a long gun, place it barrel down so gravity pulls oils away from the action and not into the action.

For a revolver, this is a more difficult without some kind of frame for the handgun to sit on and you have to have the space for this too.

For a pistol, I would field strip it with the frame and trigger assembly sitting so gravity pulls away from the action. The slide, barrel, and recoil spring would be sitting flat.

Gravity will pull on the grease and oils used during storage. Granted, grease will move slower than oils but since you are talking about 5+ years of storage you should consider the impact gravity will have on your weapon. Once you pull your weapon out of storage, the difference will be how much effort you will spend on cleaning the action. If gravity pulls grease and oils into the action, it will be more "gummy" then using gravity to pull away from the action.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd use Eezox, though I did use Birchwood Casey on a couple AK parts kits that I knew I wasn't going to get to right away. Why did I switch? Mainly because the BC could be sprayed on and the sun was going down after getting the cosmo off.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've used Rig for long term storage with good success, but I've never had to just prep them and put them away for extended periods. I've always had access to these guns and pull them out and reapply the preservative from time to time. I think though, if you put a healthy coating of Rig on, it's going to work pretty well. Of course there's a good deal of clean up before you can shoot again. That's the price you pay.

If you're only needing 6-8 months or so of storage, Breakfree "Collector" is a great product. Goes on like a light oil, preserves really well and only takes a quick wipe off if you want to use the gun.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Hmm... I've got guns in safes or just in closets that haven't been touched in a lot longer than 4 years. I didn't do thunin' to them. Just maybe wiped them down with oil the last time I used them. Maybe. Some of them have a protective coating of dust. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Ever consider PVC tubes? Cut to length, oil/grease the gun, glue cap on one end of tube and then using a heat gun heat up the inside of the tube. That should dry most of the moisture inside.
Put gun in and glue the other cap on.
You could use a screw type fitting on one end instead of gluing both ends.
Should last for years.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope, will not. you can't get RH low enough. Now put a VCI emitter in there and you have a chance, but better is put gun in VCI bag, with emitter and then seal in tube and GTG.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post