SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You know the shear number of good choices amazes me
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You know the shear number of good choices amazes me Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
There was a time where you pretty much had a 1911, HI Power maybe a P38/PPK if your were feeling froggy or a good revolver. None of them bad choices.

Now there are Glocks, HKs, SIGS, Rugers, Walthers, Beretta, Smith M&Ps, CZs and everything in between and they are all good choices. Combine that with the fact that you still have a myriad of wheel gun choices and it amazes me the shear number of affordable quality handgun choices available today.

Not to mention all the high dollar options or the days past still viable options (Makarov/Star/3rd gen Smith etc. etc. )

Folks ask about guns all the time and the reality is there is a TON of viable choices these days in any caliber you could possibly want at a price you can afford. We bitch about craftsmanship or pinned and recessed etc. but these are the golden years IMO.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
They are. I’m going back to a renaissance of TDA and am enjoying the PX4’s. We’ve got various striker platforms, Glock, Sig, HK, S&W, CZ, Beretta. Still some excellent TDA polymer platforms in the HK and Berettas. So many choices....

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
For the firearms enthusiast, these are indeed good times. There are more choices than I can possibly afford, but it's nice to know they are out there. As an added bonus, since the Wicked Witch of Westchester County lost in 2016 to DJT, we don't have to deal with her trying to limit those choices.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I'm just happy if I want a full steel battering ram, I mean 92fs, I can fondle mine in all its sweet sweet imported glory. I'm pretty sure its not a total import, as it seems some of it/ all of it came from some place in the midwest, but damn, to be able to have that full steel gun. So sweet.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
There are a number of choices... If you want a plastic striker fired pistol. If you are looking for a metal hammer fired pistol the choices are not as varied as they used to be. Frown

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I think the same can be said for the AR world, it’s pretty much reached its pinnacle IMO. Piston, DI, tons of aftermarket support that just seems to keep growing.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
There are a number of choices... If you want a plastic striker fired pistol. If you are looking for a metal hammer fired pistol the choices are not as varied as they used to be. Frown

It seems to me as though most of the better ones are still around even though some (like the BHP) may be going out of production soon. Which models do you miss?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree the choices today actually can be bewildering!
At one time your “big gun “ was a 1911 or smith k frame and your small gun was a j frame.
One of the old saying used to be buy smith revolvers and colt autos and don’t mix that up

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Having a lot of quality options can never be a bad thing. There's definitely a LOT to wade through to find the one that's going to be The One for you, if there's even such a thing.

But it couldn't be worse than the subsequent search for the elusive 'perfect' holster. Just sayin'...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:

My pretty good metal hammer fired pistol choices:
SIG 9mm X5 Comp – with Robert Burke action job
SIG P238 .380
Beretta 87 Target .22 LR (external hammer)
All SAO. Taking the Beretta to the range today.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8949 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Back in the 60's into the early 70's there really were few choices. Smith, Colt or Ruger for wheel guns.

Short of the 1911's in .45acp , most autos were considered to be problematic and not to be trusted for defense.

The new Smith M-39/M-59's were just starting to make some inroads into LE . Mostly due to Super-Vel HP ammo. The same ammo made a Walther PPK or Mauser HSC a viable off duty gun.

Back then not a LOT of choices at all, compared to today. The entire Colt/S&W catalog of offerings would fit in a small catalog.

I recall the eighties/nineties when I couldn't even keep the S&W auto pistols remotely comprehensible. SO MANY variations.

We are living in some good times if your a shooter.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post