SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P365 Safety, Decocker or none???
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P365 Safety, Decocker or none??? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Time for ol' vthoky to show his ignorance again...

Could a striker-fired pistol be built with a grip safety?

Yes. It's already been done before.

There have been a number of striker-fired guns with grip safeties, going back to the early 1900s with early Lugers and various FN/Browning guns like the Model 1906 Vest Pocket and Model 1910, as well as others like the Type A and Type B Nambus, Glisenti M1910, and Beretta 418.

The HK P7 is striker-fired, and has a grip safety of sorts (actually a cocking lever, but it functions as a safety, since the gun cannot be fired without it depressed).

The Uzi has a grip safety. Uzi SMGs are open bolt with a fixed firing pin, but there are various semiauto closed bolt Uzi clone pistols that have been converted to striker-fired.

More recently, there's been the Springfield XD series and the abortive Remington R51. The new Hudson H9 was originally designed with a grip safety, although it was eventually omitted.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
To my students, I always recommend a safety on any gun that will be carried in a pocket or purse.

Children even toddlers sometimes have amazing hand strength and with a curious nature rummaging in purses and pant pockets, I feel it is dangerous to leave a ready to fire pistol available.

YMMV

I agree with this 100%.

I wish more people agreed with your (our) views.

---------------------------------------

Purse carry is stupid. Pocket carry is fine. Toddlers in your pockets? Roll Eyes

People that agree with your view lack training. Why would you want MORE untrained, unconfident folks out there?

I would never carry a gun with a safety. NEVER. Safeties will get you killed. Get some ACTUAL training and you will come to the same conclusion.

I'm 1000% confident that the Glocks I carry, in proper holsters, will never accidentally go off. A safety is a crutch for bad habits, or poor training.

Edit: I should have toned down the rhetoric of my post, but I feel strongly on this issue. I've trained some folks in shooting, and they get lectures that safeties are for untrained folks. Train harder, until it clicks. You'll eventually reach a point where you'll realize that safeties are pointless time wasters.

Obviously 1911 shooters are another matter.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:

Considering that the P365 is a clean sheet design that wasn't based off of any previous platform, SIG could've done anything they wanted, including incorporation of a XD-like grip safety. Not knowing the particulars on where they ultimately ended up (I haven't seen a 365 in person, let alone taken one down), at this point who knows for certain what kind of room there is to integrate in a grip safety.

Thank you for that.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Yes. It's already been done before.

There have been a number of striker-fired guns with grip safeties, going back to the early 1900s with early Lugers and various FN/Browning guns like the Model 1906 Vest Pocket and Model 1910, as well as others like the Type A and Type B Nambus, Glisenti M1910, and Beretta 418.

And for that.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Newest grip safety pistol introduced into the market

https://www.smith-wesson.com/f...s/mp-380-shield-ez-0

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a S/A XDs with a grip safety and really like it. I would love to have a 365 with a 1911 style safety.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
Newest grip safety pistol introduced into the market

https://www.smith-wesson.com/f...s/mp-380-shield-ez-0

The M&P Shield EZ has an internal hammer, not a striker.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GJM365
posted Hide Post
The P365 Manual shows a Thumb safety version....probably down the road.

Posts: 20 | Registered: January 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Sig introduces a 365 with a safety that could get me to sell off my beloved 239's.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GJM365
posted Hide Post
When the TS version comes out, I will have that too.

Picture of Compactsig
posted Hide Post
The trend seems to be towards smaller, lighter pocket striker fired pistols that have trigger pulls some of which are as light as a 1911. Over the many I've shot 1911s I've heard almost no one recommend carrying them without a thumb safety (and if some fool did others immediately tried to educate them about safe gun practices). Today the gun-makers have been working had to market light trigger pull striker fired pistols without thumb safeties as the 'modern', 'safe', 'pro' version. They're selling ego and machismo not safety.

Posts: 101 | Location: Treasure Coast, Florida | Registered: June 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, my Roll Eyes

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
A kydex holster is an adequate safety for any modern carry pistol. Mechanical safeties for the most part only satisfy lawyers and the untrained.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I have an XD-s .45ACP. It, like every XD-s, has a grip safety. Why do I not read this as a suggestion?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
NO SAFETY OR DECOCKER, THIS IS A STRIKER FIRED PISTOL, THE 365 IS FINE AS IS...

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I will not carry a gun with a manual safety. Buy a quality holster, take responsibility for the security of your weapon, and don't carry in a manner that children can gain access to it. But putting a mechanical firing inhibitor on a weapon that will be used for self defense is just asking for trouble, IMO. Those fine motor skills go out the window under stress, and that half a second that you have to spend determining why the gun didn't go bang the first time you pulled the trigger may cost you your life.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
quote:
92fstech

92fstech, I couldn't have said it better, and I agree 100%

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With proper training, regular practice and the elimination of ingrained poor habits, a safety is a desirable component on a pistol.If you are under the impression that a safety on a pistol will hinder your performance I suggest you get some more training and practice more often.

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Got no beef with a properly located safety. If I were right handed the LC9 safety would be perfect location. Thumb goes there automatically. Alas, I am left handed so it’s moot point. There are goofy safeties like on the BG380 which cannot be operated really well. It’s more of an on off switch.

I don’t purse carry, Big Grin but my wife does occasionally, when she has to. She prefers a heavy Or long DA in that instance.

I’m pretty much all Glock, I’ll give the 365 a look see when it gets ironed out. As for now I’m G26 and putting a G43 through its paces to see if it has a place with me, especially in the summertime. I’ll still be G26 but every now and then I want something small and light, that still shoots well.

BTW, has there been any wieners shot off here lately? That’s all I hear about some pistols.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GJM365
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Compactsig:
The trend seems to be towards smaller, lighter pocket striker fired pistols that have trigger pulls some of which are as light as a 1911. Over the many I've shot 1911s I've heard almost no one recommend carrying them without a thumb safety (and if some fool did others immediately tried to educate them about safe gun practices). Today the gun-makers have been working had to market light trigger pull striker fired pistols without thumb safeties as the 'modern', 'safe', 'pro' version. They're selling ego and machismo not safety.

Obviously you are not one of the super trained, elite, operators who never have a brain fart and never will Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
All u need is one deadly accident and your going to wish u had a trigger lock on your firearm

Posts: 149 | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post