SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Colt Agent Revolver
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt Agent Revolver Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
So I don't own a Colt revolver. I've got a bead on a 1980's production Agent revolver. It's in good condition, though ugly as sin. Ugly enough that it makes it captivating. Timing seems right and lock up is tight. I've got a couple J frames and an SP-101. So I think this would round out the snub nose selection. Anybody here own one or have any experience with these? How does it shoot, how does it carry?

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Shoots like a laser and carries like a dream! Buy it, shoot it, love it!!! Smile

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
I had one in the 70's. They,as with all Colt's of that period, were excellent guns.

Posts: 658 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: July 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMG! If you don't want it, I do!

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the only difference between the Detective Special and the Agent was in the finish. I would jump if the gun is tight.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Is this one of those made circa the mid-1980s, just before they were discontinued, with an unpolished Parkerized finish? This was a period when the polishing/bluing guys had gone on strike or some shit. Anyway, mechanically it's the same as any other Colt revolver. To check its timing and lockup, cock the hammer, pull the trigger while easing the hammer down, continue to hold the trigger fully to the rear, and try to rotate the cylinder. You are feeling it for rotational play. It must have none, zero, zip, zilch. If it passes this on all six chambers, it is good to go. It just won't look good doing it.

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
An Agent is aluminum alloy, like a Smith 37.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
IIRC, the only difference between the Detective Special and the Agent was in the finish. I would jump if the gun is tight.

I worked for a Colt Distributor in the 1970's.
I beg to differ with you unless I've forgotten over the last 40+yrs. The Cobra and Agents were alloy models. The D.Specs were steel frames.
I have a 70's era brand new blued D.Special.
I also have what appears to be un-issued police Det. Spl w/o the shrouded ejector rod and chambered in 32 New Police. Unfortunately I have just the gun. It didn't come with the box from the supplier. If I (or we) had only known what was going to happen to the Colts not to mention all the older Colts I had and sold I'd be stepping in high cotton today.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
When that gun was made, I recollect that Colt aficionados were lamenting the terrible quality of the new revolvers coming from Colt.

Much like we do now about the stuff S&W is currently producing.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC the 70's Colt Agent was aluminum framed, just like the Cobra however the grip frame was 1/4" shorter

Posts: 160 | Location: Sarasota FL | Registered: April 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I carry a Colt Detective Special.

It's just about the same size as a J frame Smith, but 6 rounds.

I LOVE the balance and light weight, the Agent will be even lighter!

However, don't practice with +P loads, use them only for defense. Practice with really light lead 148 gr to keep the frame wear to a minimum.

You don't want to beat it up just practicing.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post