SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I think I might want a new pistol
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I think I might want a new pistol Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Been itching for a bit...thinking about something small, pocket-carry size, accurate, easy to shoot, hard to rust, lighter is more betterer, 9mm +p rated, and as reliable as possible.

My current pocket-carry is a Kahr PM9, over 10 years old. It does the trick, and I may not fully replace it.

I've considered the Glock 43 and Sig 938, or on the revolver side, the Ruger LCR9, or a converted or 940 S&W J-frame 9mm. In fact, if I could find a S&W Model 638 that has been converted to 9mm, I'd pay a pretty penny...

Anyone have any suggestions for my criteria? And no, I can't buy all of them Big Grin

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
Cheap, reliable, accurate. Kahr CW9. Just sayin.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vero8,

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for a pocket size single stack 9X19, the G43 is an excellent choice.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
I can relate. I get the itch to replace my PM9 every now and then. I tried the G43 and 938, ended up back with the Kahr. The glock is larger than the PM9 and the 938 didn't work for pocket carry.
I carried a SW 442 for many years in my pocket and on my ankle. The Kahr is just as reliable, just as powerful, easier to carry and carries more rounds.
I finally decided to stay with the Kahr and scratch the new pistol itch another way. The CZ P07 is great and I'm considering a P10C.

Posts: 391 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I think I really want the Ruger LCR9, except for that it's a Ruger, it's made of plastic, and the length of pull is not optimal for my little Hobbit hands.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
LC9s Pro. Pocket carries well because the rear of the slide is sloped instead of block shaped.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paddy314:
I can relate. I get the itch to replace my PM9 every now and then. I tried the G43 and 938, ended up back with the Kahr. The glock is larger than the PM9 and the 938 didn't work for pocket carry.
I carried a SW 442 for many years in my pocket and on my ankle. The Kahr is just as reliable, just as powerful, easier to carry and carries more rounds.
I finally decided to stay with the Kahr and scratch the new pistol itch another way. The CZ P07 is great and I'm considering a P10C.

You know, my only issue with the PM9 is that the factory 6 round baseplates have sharp edges that quickly wear a hole in my pocket.

If that's my only gripe, after 10 years of carry...well dang lol

-JALLEN

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have always been wary of the Colt Mustang clones like the 938. When SIG came out with it, I was almost laughing because the track record of the little gun with other manufacturers was never great. SIG got it right and I'm not laughing now. The gun shoots like a little laser beam out to 25 yards, and you never hear anything to speak of bad about them.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
When I really want to conceal, I carry my 938. Nice little gun!

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Glock 43 or J-frame, 442/642/MP340

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Ruger LCP is my pocket choice, but of course it's only a 380. The Glock 43 is my pick of the small 9's, but it's a tad too big for most of my pockets.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sold my 938 equinox because I couldn't get used to a safety, and the main spring housing issues that completely stop the gun cold. Now I'm sure that has been fixed by now but at the time I wasn't too impressed by that issue and the fact that I had to spend money to put a metal trigger in the gun. But besides that it carried extremely well in the back pocket and was damned easy to shoot well for its size. I did like it better than my dads glock 43 but I'll be going khar or glock just because I don't want to operate a safety to make my gun work

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased both the Sig P938 Extreme and a Glock 43 in search of a weapon my wife would actually carry, she likes the Sig P232sl, but doesn't like the effort required to rack the slide, she likes the P938 but doesn't like the safety, she likes Glock 43 but doesn't like the lack of a safety. Perhaps some where there is a compromise. She also has a Bersa Thunder and I forget why she doesn't like it.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 106 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: July 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bb405:
I purchased both the Sig P938 Extreme and a Glock 43 in search of a weapon my wife would actually carry, she likes the Sig P232sl, but doesn't like the effort required to rack the slide, she likes the P938 but doesn't like the safety, she likes Glock 43 but doesn't like the lack of a safety. Perhaps some where there is a compromise. She also has a Bersa Thunder and I forget why she doesn't like it.

Wait. This man is a genius. That's four guns he was able to buy while tricking his wife into thinking they were actually for her LOL. Big Grin

-JALLEN

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Being a single action guy for decades I went from a P238 to the P938 for pocket carry. No regrets. Nothing beats a good SA trigger in my opinion. I can get that a safety might be an issue that for those that have never trained with one. It does take time to become instinctual.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for another Sig, I just last week bought a police trade in Sig P239 .40 from Top Gun Supply. Night sights were dead,replaced two days ago. Ordered a 357Sig barrel. Shot a box of .40 through it with no issues. Came with crimson trace laser. Like the ergonomics.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 106 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: July 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bb405:
If you are looking for another Sig, I just last week bought a police trade in Sig P239 .40 from Top Gun Supply. Night sights were dead,replaced two days ago. Ordered a 357Sig barrel. Shot a box of .40 through it with no issues. Came with crimson trace laser. Like the ergonomics.

I'm looking for a itty bitty gun. I've got a 239 already, excellent suggestion though Wink

-JALLEN

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
If you're not into the Glock 43 have you looked at the Shield?
I pocket carried mine for awhile. It's cheap because of the rebates.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
You already have the best pocket 9 IMO. The PM9 is superior to either the G43 or Shield, both of which feel huge by comparison. The PM9 has an excellent defensive trigger and is very accurate also. Newgunitis plagues us all but don't lose your Kahr.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3188 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a Kahr PM9 most of the time.

Fits in my pocket with a pocket holster.

My Sig P239 sits in the safe most of the time since I bought it.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post