SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Rust removal on stainless revolver?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rust removal on stainless revolver? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

A friend of mine, of advanced years and failing health, asked me to see what I could do about the rust forming on his Ruger Security Six. It's what he carried for years as a NJ LEO.

The spot shown is the worst, but there are minor spots in other areas as well. It's been stored in a gun rug in a semi-heated garage.

Any pointers to clean up and preserve the finish would be greatly appreciated.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Some 0000 steel wool, with some oil/clp/etc., will remove the rust without harming the finish. Then wipe down with oil afterward. There might be some pitting but keeping it oiled will prevent further rusting.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try some Flitz and steel wool (0000 good to start with) or a fine fiber pad.
Good Luck.

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have cleaned lots of things with white vinegar
Mostly from an unheated barn.
Lathe tools, clappers, dead centers,one church key left out on patio table.
mix bag of different metals.
Some stainless has carbon in for strength and it will rust a bit.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I am NOT an expert, but I have used Evapo-Rust to remove rust from a Gewehr 98 firing pin. It works through a chelation process that does not affect non oxidized iron. I have no idea what it would do to whatever finish is on your friend's gun. I suspect it would not be friendly to a blued finish.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PLEASE don't use steal wool. It will leave steal residue in other places and rust onto the S/S. If you do use that, use 0000 BRONZE wool, available in hardware stores and marine stores and it's cheap and it's softer than S/S and won't put micro scratches in it.

I would either let it soak with clp or something similar and try rubbing it with a patch first and your finger nail.

The other option is cleaning it with NEVRDULL wadding which won't harm the finish and will clean and bring the shine back on it and then wipe it off with a microfiber. I'd go the nevrdull route also available at a hardware store for around $7

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Inquire with RUGER. Possibly bead blast?

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've successfully used Corrosion-X to remove rust spots before. Coat the rust spots with it and let it sit for at least 24 hours - then use some bronze wool (softer than the stainless steel) and it should come right off. I've heard others have success doing the same thing with Kroil. Good Luck,

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Evaporust. Avoid steel wool, you will change the finish. Once you've removed the rust, treat it with Eezox.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good advice here.

For this type of firearm, you might consider something like Jasco Prep and Primer [or similar product], to neutralize the rust and prevent it from returning.

It shouldn't change the stainless finish- other than maybe making it a little grayer. It will eat bluing off, and peel the epoxy finish on Browning Hi Powers.

I have used it to remove the rust, and then had the firearm frame cerakoted so there were no visible signs of the problem.

I also filed/sanded the pitted areas, and then treated them again, to remove the pits as much as I could.

Good advice in here- consult it, but think carefully before doing anything.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many of the options posted so far are good, but if this was my gun, I would go bead blast.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I did the white vinegar thing as a test and it removed the staining and surface rust.

The deeper pits are now black. I'm going to work on it a bit more with CLP and bronze wool and then finish up buffing the whole thing with Flitz.

He didn't ask me to restore it, just stop the rust.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Good advice here’s. I say it all depends just how deep the rust/oxidation is. I’ve used everything from steel wool with penetrating oil, to scotch Brite pads, to bead blasting. At least it is “ stainless” so a re-surface is all it needs and not a coating or metal treatment afterwards..... there are “knife erasers” that work well also.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I did the white vinegar thing as a test and it removed the staining and surface rust.

The deeper pits are now black. I'm going to work on it a bit more with CLP and bronze wool and then finish up buffing the whole thing with Flitz.

He didn't ask me to restore it, just stop the rust.

''

Nevrdull does both (remove and stop the rust), I'd use that long before you use something abrasive. It works great and is easy to use. Bronze wool and flitz are both abrasive. Nevrdull will bring the rust out, make it beautiful, and protect it. Nevrdull is produced for the sole purpose of cleaning and protecting a variety of metals and sells for $5 a can and will take those spots off in the picture in less than 2 minutes.

Vinegar is an acid and will always blacken stainless.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just use some mother’s chrome&mag polish on a buffer wheel or just with a terry cloth if you can’t get a buffer wheel on a drill or bench grinder. That stuff will clean off the rust easily and give you a nice shine on the pistol

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
That wipe-down/polishing cloth with impregnated mild abrasive - whatever they call it - would take off that surface rust. But the sides of the topstrap have some spots that look pitted, especially at the upper right hand corner of the frame "window." You can't replace missing metal.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post