New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 .45 Login/Join 
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted
Instead of hijacking the pinnacle thread...

Since I'm an unwashed heathen that doesn't currently own a 1911 - I have a question.
It seems that many of these need some tuning or tweaking. Or maybe I've heard wrong.

Can you buy a reasonable priced 1911 and expect it to work well from the getgo ? If so, what are some models/brands that would be best bets. I'm thinking $800 or less if that's possible; and I'd consider gently used.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
My Colt Government has been flawless.

My Colt Commander ran fine with everything except Wilson 47Ds that were more than a year old. If the springs got weak it would inertia feed the last round in the magazine. Worked flawlessly with any dimpled follower.

My Dan Wesson Valor was tightly fitted and needed about 50 rounds to break in. It's now perfect.

My Springfield TRP is flawless. The Loaded and 2 Mil Specs I used to own were good to go out of the box.

I had 2 Ruger 1911s that both ran fine.

Really I've only had 2 1911s that had issues. I had a Colt Combat Elite that needed a trip back to Colt for some repairs. It was a problem child from the beginning with the slide serrations being very shallow on one side. It was fine after it came back. I had a Kimber TLE 2 that no ammount of tinkering could make more than about 90% reliable and prior to tinkering was having at least one failure a magazine.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced has been nearly flawless. Had a few FTFs in the first hundred rounds or so. That's it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I have a Colt competition government model that has been great. I had a brief issue with one aftermarket magazine, but that resolved itself also.

Posts: 3658 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
I have a Colt M1911A1. Bought it in 2005. Never done a thing to it and it works fine. You can get those for $800 or less.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
My 2 Sig 1911's have been perfect from day one. The only 1911 that was hopelessly flawed was a Colt Defender. I'm sure it was just an anomaly, but I'd never buy another one because of it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I have a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911 in .45. This is SA’s most basic, least expensive 1911 model (short of the now-discontinued GI Model). Bought it new about 4 years ago. I’ve logged around 3,800 rounds through it since (both FMJs and JHPs) and have had one stoppage at around the 2,000-round mark that was able to be immediately cleared via a tap-rack-bang drill on the spot.

The gun was $630 plus tax brand-new then. I’ve seen them new for less since.

Tweaks? Not really. I’ve changed the grips a few times and actually changed the grip screw bushings to Challis-brand bushings just because I wanted to; not a necessity. I had a long-reach trigger installed because that’s what I prefer on a 1911; again, not a necessity. I added some oh-so-fancy stair-safety tape to the grip frame frontstrap because I liked the texture it imparted; not a necessity. The front sight blade did manage to work its way loose in the first 500 rounds, and SA’s customer service process provided a total week-and-half, free-to-me turn-around time on a repair that hasn’t failed again.

For what it’s worth, I only use Wilson Combat 47 magazines (the 7-rounders, not the more oft-seen 47D 8-rounders) in this gun and any of my other 1911s.

I’ve seriously pondered grabbing a couple more of this same model SA just to stash them here and there.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Springfield Armory Mil-Spec. Inexpensive, forged top and bottom, functions great. All you need in a 1911 and nothing you don't.

https://www.springfield-armory...11-mil-spec-handguns

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
My SA Mil-Spec, looking a little Longmire-esque here, pictured with some Milt Sparks leather. This gun has been carried a good bit.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yes. There are plenty of nice 1911s that should be just fine at $800 or so.

Springfield Armory Ronin and Mil-Spec models, Ruger SR 1911 fullsize or commander, Remington R1, and possibly the Smith & Wesson E series are all major manufacturer guns which will likely be "street price" in your price range. Armscor/Rock Island Armory is also going to be in your range, and they make a perfectly serviceable 1911.

Searching pawn shops for used 1911s can also be a useful activity, and there is usually some "flex" in pawn shop pricing.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Colt. I have two Dan Wesson's. I think DW is easily the sweet spot in 1911's.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've had a good experience with my Springfield Loaded (the gun in my op from the Pinnacle thread). A couple of FTFs in the first hundred rounds that were easily cleared with a tap/rack, and smooth sailing ever since. No tweaking required. I think I was right at $800 otd on that one.

You can do just fine for $800 in the 1911 arena. Springfield has some nice offerings, and I'd be confident even with their "lower-end" options...the mil-spec is a good gun, even if devoid of all the bells and whistles. The Range Officer is a good choice in that price range as well. I've also seen the Colt Competitions go on sale in that range, although they're typically closer to $950 or so. I've shot several lower-end Colts and they were all good guns, although I wouldn't pay a premium over an SA for one...I'd put them on about the same level.

Honestly, I've heard good things about the Rock Islands, although I've never handled one, mainly because I don't care for their appearance. Those would be well under your budget. Same with the Remington R1.

Posts: 8526 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I will say that in the past I used to think Kimber 1911’s were sub par based on online reports of reliability issues, but I decided to do my own research and bought a Custom II last year as I wanted a good old minimally featured and inexpensive range toy 1911. It is their base model though still has a very good fit and finish. Mine has an upswept beaver tail safety and a fiber optic front sight, vs the old black on black sights. It also has an extended single side safety. Grips are nothing special as they are just rubber, but the grip is excellent on this particular 1911, almost as good as my Bear feels honestly even without the front strap checkering on the Kimber. It was well under $800 and was flawless at the range in terms of performance/reliability. The only thing was the FO sight lamp fell out but they give you extras as this happens from time to time I’ve been told. Easy to mount a new fiber in the housing. I’m eager to get out to shoot it again soon.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim Bridger
posted Hide Post
I have owned 1911 pistols for over 50 years. At this time I have 28 1911 in various types and calibers. These 1911 rumors date back to the Post WWII bring backs. Many of these were worn and very loose. The new civilian 1911 pistols are dependable and well made. I have a the SIQ 1911 TacOp 10MM, and it is a great 1911. My most recent buy is the R1 1911 Long Slide 10MM. Due to the Winter snows I have not run it through the paces.

Posts: 54 | Registered: March 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Dan Wesson fan. I have a Valor V Bob. I am casually looking for another 1911. Maybe after the virus runs its course.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2749 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post

There is nothing like a 1911. The Colt Commander needed some time to break in, but the Kimber has always been good to go...

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now is the time to buy! I've never seen such soft prices on gently used guns. By far the best 1911 for the money (and only a little more than your price) is the Dan Wesson line. I've actually been seeing some for $1K or less.

Posts: 76 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Both a Remington R1 Tactical and Ruger SR1911 LW Commander have been perfect thus far since the first rounds. I just brought home a Dan Wesson Vigil CCO but not fired it yet.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
I have a Colt competition government model that has been great. I had a brief issue with one aftermarket magazine, but that resolved itself also.

This, I bought a S/S 9mm Colt Competition government about 2 years ago. Not only is it extremely well put together, it has been flawless. So yes, I'd say many of the good brands of 1911 that will work how it's supposed to.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
My entry level S&W1911 has been flawless. This was my second 1911. I had a Llama that was a POS

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post