SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New to me 9mm P226R DAK
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me 9mm P226R DAK Login/Join 
posted
Just picked up this beauty in trade! No box though. It’s definitely DAO, how can I tell if it’s a DAK? Also, does the inclusion of the E2 grip make this an E2 model?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kframe357,

Posts: 56 | Location: Alabaster, Alabama | Registered: January 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Based on that hammer, it's a DAK.
The E2 refers to the grip. It might or might not have been original with the gun, as it came from the factory.

The gun could have been a DA/SA, with stock plastic grips originally, that previous owner swapped stuff around to what you have now.

So, to answer your second question, there was no original P226 E2 model that was a DAK with the E2 grip. Not that I'm aware of.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
It’s very likely a LEO trade in. Should be a great shooter if already broken in.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Based on that hammer, it's a DAK.
The E2 refers to the grip. It might or might not have been original with the gun, as it came from the factory.

The gun could have been a DA/SA, with stock plastic grips originally, that previous owner swapped stuff around to what you have now.

So, to answer your second question, there was no original P226 E2 model that was a DAK with the E2 grip. Not that I'm aware of.

Thank you! It has a remarkably nice trigger pull.

Posts: 56 | Location: Alabaster, Alabama | Registered: January 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
It’s very likely a LEO trade in. Should be a great shooter if already broken in.

It hasn’t been shot much, the pic looks worse than it is, shiny spots are oil.

I’m actually, more than likely, going to use it as my sidearm for work (LEO).

Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
You may want to pick up a parts kit and replace all the springs. Cheap insurance for any used gun.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
Excellent gun. Most are in .40 so finding one in 9mm is a bonus. The DAO guns have a "normal" looking hammer.

+++

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Fantastic night stand gun.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the reset is heavier then letting the trigger all the way out then it's dak. I have a 40 cal dak and really like it.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There’s no need to even touch the gun to know that it has a DAK trigger. The DAK hammer is unique to those models.

Left to right:
Standard DA/SA hammer
“Sport” DA/SA hammer
Double action only hammer with spur
Double action only “bobbed” hammer
DAK hammer

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
There’s no need to even touch the gun to know that it has a DAK trigger. The DAK hammer is unique to those models.

Left to right:
Standard DA/SA hammer
“Sport” DA/SA hammer
Double action only hammer with spur
Double action only “bobbed” hammer
DAK hammer

Thanks! Definitely a DAK.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Well, I could have told you that. Oh wait, I did. Razz

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^ Well, I could have told you that. Oh wait, I did. Razz

Yes you did. The picture just confirmed what I was told by you. It’s just nice getting a second confirmation.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm by no means an expert... but since there is no decock lever or safety on the gun.....it would seem that it is a double action only.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I'm by no means an expert... but since there is no decock lever or safety on the gun.....it would seem that it is a double action only.

Same setup for DAK. "Double Action Kellerman"

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NoQuota
posted Hide Post
No wear marks on the frame from where the de cocking lever would be.

Most likely started life as a DAK.

ENJOY IT! I love my P226 DAK!

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posts: 597 | Location: St Augustine, FL | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NoQuota:

Most likely started life as a DAK...

Good observation. And, previous owner simply put the E2 grip on.

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NoQuota:

Most likely started life as a DAK...

Good observation. And, previous owner simply put the E2 grip on.

Great point about wear. I’m glad they did, the grip is very comfy.

posted Hide Post
I have a 229 DAK in 9mm was a fact ICE gun , the trigger is almost like a D/A Smith , mine was a Gov over run with standard grips

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have acquired a gem of a handgun.

I have the same handgun, which came to me in .40 S&W, with regular grips and the older mainspring, at a price which was close to unbelievable (my LGS agreed). Only wear was some slight due to the holster. Since I do not believe the .40 suddenly became an anemic mousegun simply because the sainted FBI has now re-anointed the 9 mm, I left the chambering untouched.

Picked up a spring kit from Brownells and replaced the springs, including a kit for those on the accompanying magazines, which were also cleaned and lubed; cheap insurance indeed! Also upgraded the mainspring to the newer one, and used a Wolff spring calibration kit to determine that a 19# mainspring was ample (the 17# and 18# were faultless in testing, so I erred on the side of caution). The factory 24# mainspring was simply unnecessary. It proved a nice touch, along with greasing the length of the mainspring guide and upper end with Brownells' Action Magic.

All-in-all, the handgun was very clean and appeared to have been regularly serviced by an armorer. Nonetheless, I did a two-step cleaning while avoiding a complete breakdown, which seemed overkill.

Sprayed all internals of the action several times first with Hoppe's No. 9, then worked the action a few dozen times, then letting it sit overnight and working it again. Sprayed clean with non-chlorinated brake cleaner. This flushed tiny bits of carbon out. Repeated with Ballistol, including the overnight soak, then liberal sprays of brake cleaner. Finally lubed with light coat of Hoppe's best synthetic spray gun oil, draining or wiping away excess, and also oiled or greased other areas such as the slide rails as needed. The bore was cleaned of all fouling. Only a touch of copper was detected. A quick scrub with J-B Bore Cleaner removed that. While I was at it, I polished the feed ramp and entire area of the barrel breech by hand with Flitz polish on a patch, and wiped totally clean.

Finally slipped on E2 grips. All of the firearms functions were then checked and verified with dummy rounds (ejection, failure to fire if out of battery, etc.) before firing.

What a change! From very good, to great.

The DAK trigger is . . . . . like that of a well-tuned S&W K-Frame. Just sweet. The gun has been 100% in every way. It is now paired with 155-grain HP ammunition. Is quick to get back on target for follow up shots. It may or may not be superior to the best 9 mm, but surely it is not inferior!

While I am jealous of your ideal 9 mm prize, these DAK gems are great in any chambering! Great catch! Good shooting!

Brian

Posts: 17 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: July 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post