SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CPO or just flat used Sig's?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CPO or just flat used Sig's? Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
I'm trying to shift some things around in the safe to possibly pick up a P224. Love it or hate it, that's another topic. Question is, if I can't find what I want brand new... would you rather have a CPO from Sig or just a used gun from an individual? I know CPO's come with a warranty, but they're basically parts guns aren't they? Would I be better off with a one owner that was factory built? Are there really any pros / cons? What would you prefer? I'm sure I'm splitting hairs here, but it would potentially be going to Robert Burke, etc. I'd like to start with a nice specimen. Thanks for indulging me!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Range gun or truck beater, I'd take whichever is less $. Safe queen, I'd want the factory gun, either new or very nice 1 owner.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
If it is a 9mm and isn't beat up, which ever costs less.

If it is an early production gun, in 40 or 357, CPO. Shoot it a fair amount to make sure there are none of the early production feed issues with it. If something turns up, you have the limited warranty to fall back on.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10-7 leo,

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Wich ever costs less. Seems like the CPO's have went up to 600-700 dollars. For that much I will spend an extra 200 and buy new!!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
This is going to be a carry piece. I have a .357Sig barrel I'll be dropping into a .40 P224. Still not 100% on the action type. The difference between "used" and a CPO is less than $100.

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For less than $100, a CPO hands down. Unless the used gun was from a friend with a known history.

If I was buying an unknown used gun, at minimum I'd replace all springs with the Sig Parts Kit, which is $27 + ship. Then you still don't know if it might be a problem gun...or screwed with inside.

I do all my own work on Sigs, 1911's, Glocks and revolvers. Even so, I have no interest in reading tea leaves on an unknown used gun. Just my philosophy.

I've been shooting for about 50 years. Been instructing for 25 and have instructed/observed about 1,200 students with a variety of handguns. Shoot in a weekly defensive shooting group with about 25 participants in a given session. Seen a lot of guns that don't go bang every time. Different brands, new guns, used guns.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
For less than $100, a CPO hands down. Unless the used gun was from a friend with a known history.

If I was buying an unknown used gun, at minimum I'd replace all springs with the Sig Parts Kit.

This.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
quote:

If I was buying an unknown used gun, at minimum I'd replace all springs with the Sig Parts Kit.

This.

Definitely the best advice IMO, especially since you say this will be a carry piece.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't have a problem with used if it appeared the round count was low, the pistol otherwise appeared to have been well-cared-for, and I had the opportunity to inspect it.

Heck, given my budget and the fact I'm not finding any CPOs in what I want, anyway: I've little choice.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go cheap. I am on the lookout always for very worn Sigs. Get them cheap and then back to Sig they go for the SSP. The night sights alone make the deal. If the finish is so ugly it is nauseating, off to CoyoteKiller or CCR for refinish in a cool color.
Quite often, I can do this project for around $500
Drawback: Shipping the gun to multiple destinations.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Go cheap. I am on the lookout always for very worn Sigs. Get them cheap and then back to Sig they go for the SSP. The night sights alone make the deal. If the finish is so ugly it is nauseating, off to CoyoteKiller or CCR for refinish in a cool color.
Quite often, I can do this project for around $500
Drawback: Shipping the gun to multiple destinations.

The SSP alone is $145 + shipping. Call shipping $50, round-trip, leaving $300 to spend on the pistol. If you're buying on-line, initial shipping and FFL fees will come to about $50 (at least). Now we're down to $250 for the pistol.

I'd like to see a Sig for $250 that isn't about totally trashed.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Sounds like CPO is the way to go. I can find 224, CPO's for right at $600 or a tad less.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Sounds like CPO is the way to go. I can find 224, CPO's for right at $600 or a tad less.

If I could find what I'm seeking for that, I think my search might be over.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no interest in reading tea leaves on an unknown used gun.

There's a lot to be said for that. The warranty is good, but having the factory gunsmiths give it a once-over is even better.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys for your insight as usual, it's always appreciated.

I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
...but they're basically parts guns aren't they?

I don't think so, as least the two I have owned were not. One was a P225 (since sold) and currently a P226. I believe they are refurbs, not parts guns. My P226 literally looks like new, completely refinished top and bottom, new springs, etc. It is like having a new gun.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that Stiab. Somehow I got it in my head that CPO’s were parts guns assembled from this that. No telling where I heard that, glad I’m wrong though.

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Yeah, what Stiab said...

The CPOs come from various places. Some have merely been demo guns at shows etc. Some are trade-ins that Sig refurbishes, some might be warranty guns that get fixed. A number of years ago I handled one (P229 if I recall correctly) that I swear was new and unfired except for the normal factory test fire. Barely a smiley on the barrel. They are a good deal.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My CPO P226 came in in very nice condition, a little scuff on the slide was all that could be told from new.
My second hand - PD tradein, I think - P220 worked just fine, but the gunsmith who tuned it up said it was the dirtiest he had ever seen.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I bought a few CPO's one was great another was refinished so it hid the accelerated wear the gun was experiencing.

A used gun probably wont do that.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post