SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My P938 fell apart.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My P938 fell apart. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Wow. Didn't see that coming!

I figure it's of my own doing; I'm certainly not blaming anyone else. I'm posting here so as to find an explanation of what I did wrong.

Mrs and I went out on Saturday to shoot for a while, and I took my P938 for her to try.

She rotated the gun to the left a little to rack the slide, and the takedown lever fell out. Just... dropped right out.

I saw it hit the dirt. I unloaded the gun and put it away, figuring I'd take a look when I got back home.

I thought that maybe I hadn't put it back together correctly after cleaning it last. But when I got it to the bench and removed the slide I found it dirty inside... obviously I hadn't cleaned it after the last session.

So if that's the case... then why did it work well during that session and not fall apart then?

More to the point: Did I do something wrong when putting it back together last? Or was it simply the act of rotating the gun sideways and pulling the slide that let the lever slip out? Were gravity and chance just thumbing their collective noses at me?

It's a gun I'd like to carry more often, so I really want to understand what happened. Thanks, all.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a P238 do exactly the same thing. Yes, it is gravity. The slide stop isn't being properly retained by its spring. (You're calling it the "takedown lever," but it's really more of a takedown pin, as well as a slide stop lever.) When the pistol is tilted to the left and racked, the slide stop will fall out when the cutout in the slide lines up with the tab on the slide stop, just as it does when you are disassembling the pistol.

Ideally, it should take more than just gravity to make that happen. You can test it by disassembling the pistol and then putting the slide stop back in place in the frame. If the spring is doing its job, the slide stop should stay in place even without the slide holding it there. If you can shake it loose easily, or if it falls out when you tip the pistol on its side, then the spring is faulty.

I called SIG and they sent me a replacement spring. It was a bit tricky getting the old one out, but getting the new one in was fairly easy. The new spring fixed the issue completely.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: toivo,

Posts: 841 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you, toivo.
I'll tear into it again one evening this week.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Thank you, toivo.
I'll tear into it again one evening this week.

You're very welcome. You might be able to fix it just by tweaking the spring that's already in there. However, since SIG was willing to send me a spring for free, I opted to do the replacement.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow. Didn't see that coming!

I figure it's of my own doing; I'm certainly not blaming anyone else. I'm posting here so as to find an explanation of what I did wrong.

Mrs and I went out on Saturday to shoot for a while, and I took my P938 for her to try.

She rotated the gun to the left a little to rack the slide, and the takedown lever fell out. Just... dropped right out.

I saw it hit the dirt. I unloaded the gun and put it away, figuring I'd take a look when I got back home.

I thought that maybe I hadn't put it back together correctly after cleaning it last. But when I got it to the bench and removed the slide I found it dirty inside... obviously I hadn't cleaned it after the last session.

So if that's the case... then why did it work well during that session and not fall apart then?

More to the point: Did I do something wrong when putting it back together last? Or was it simply the act of rotating the gun sideways and pulling the slide that let the lever slip out? Were gravity and chance just thumbing their collective noses at me?

It's a gun I'd like to carry more often, so I really want to understand what happened. Thanks, all.

I don't know how this is possibly your fault ("my own doing"). Poor design, low quality part, poor QC, or whatever it is from SIG, is responsible for this. Parts just don't fall out with normal use.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
I tried to replicate this on my 938.
Unable to do so, in fact, my slide stop pin really takes some careful alignment and pressure to remove for takedown.
I turned to the position you experienced and I could not get it to budge?
I can see if the spring is compromised how that would affect this, but I do not fiddle with the spring when I takedown for cleaning.

In fact, I shoot this thing "dirty" more so than my other Sigs and it has never failed to perform perfectly.
I trust it 100%

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1302 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
I tried to replicate this on my 938.
Unable to do so, in fact, my slide stop pin really takes some careful alignment and pressure to remove for takedown.
I turned to the position you experienced and I could not get it to budge?

That's the way it should be. The spring should hold it in until there's pressure applied. I think some of the OE springs were weak or had the wrong bend, or whatever. They just weren't doing their job.

I actually have three P238s. One had the problem, and the other two didn't.

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Its a safety feature to keep gangbangers from shooting at you sideways, as they are prone to do.
Frown

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
It happened to a friend of mine as well. I was able to duplicate it at the range. Sent it in and got it repaired. He wasn't pleased, but oh well. Ended up trading it.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Its a safety feature to keep gangbangers from shooting at you sideways, as they are prone to do.
Frown

Yeah, but you have to watch out for left-handed gangbangers, because they tip to the right and the slide stop doesn't fall out.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I don't know how this is possibly your fault ("my own doing"). Poor design, low quality part, poor QC, or whatever it is from SIG, is responsible for this. Parts just don't fall out with normal use.

Okay, maybe that was just me shortchanging myself. I'm not beyond screwing up when putting something back together. (Oops.)

But from what you and others have said, it sounds like this is not a "vthoky's fault" thing, but an issue of a spring not really doing its job well. I can handle that... based on what toivo has said, I should be able to fix this myself, following a call to Sig.

I'll try to call them this week. Thanks again, all! I'll keep you posted.

God bless America.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
It takes an act of congress to get my 938 takedown lever out

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll keep you posted.

I believe my P938 problem has been solved in this thread.

I simply wasn't inserting the takedown pin properly.

God bless America.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

I discovered something purely by accident in taking down the 938. When everything is all lined up for the take down pin to be removed, instead of pushing on it from the other side of the frame, slip a finger into the chamber area and push on that protrusion of the pin. It moves the pin much further, so you can grab it then with your fingers.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Replace the spring and move on.

What would concern me more is the fact the pistol was dirty and you thought you cleaned it after your last range trip. Any chance someone else took it to the range without your knowledge or are you like me and suffer from CRS?

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

You're in luck. It won't fall out for at least 8 years.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
Replace the spring and move on.

What would concern me more is the fact the pistol was dirty and you thought you cleaned it after your last range trip. Any chance someone else took it to the range without your knowledge or are you like me and suffer from CRS?

I'm up for replacing the spring.
And it's probably CRS... I'm the only one with a key to that safe, so unless the dog has been sneaking the key and heading off to the range while I'm at work, the simple answer is that I just didn't clean it. Wink

God bless America.