SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG X5 – no hammer intercept notch
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG X5 – no hammer intercept notch Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
My 9mm SIG X5 Competition has no hammer intercept notch. It's the only SAO auto pistol I own that doesn't. Does anyone have a guess as to why SIG omitted this feature?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
What is its purpose when there is a firing pin safety? The X5 is two generations ahead of the 1911 and the P210.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Lke all P-Series model variants, your Competition most certainly does have a hammer safety intercept notch. Being a single-action-only pistol, what it does not have is both a decocking lever, and a hammer rebound feature which automatically returns the hammer to the safety intercept position.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My P220-10mm SAO hammer rebounds when I pull the trigger on an empty chamber (unload and show clear). I've had other shooters who are unfamiliar with SIG's ask me if my holstered gun was on a "half cock".

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
Lke all P-Series model variants, your Competition most certainly does have a hammer safety intercept notch. Being a single-action-only pistol, what it does not have is both a decocking lever, and a hammer rebound feature which automatically returns the hammer to the safety intercept position.

-Bruce

Re: "Lke all P-Series model variants, your Competition most certainly does have a hammer safety intercept notch."

Thanks Bruce, I was unaware of that. The reason I thought there was no intercept notch: When I cock the hammer, after a dry fire, I can't feel, or hear, the sear dropping into an intercept notch, as I can with my SAO P238. Maybe because it's already in the intercept notch when I begin the cocking action after the dry fire?

I do note that after dry firing the X5 Comp, its hammer can be pushed forward ~1/16" against spring resistance. When I release thump pressure, that spring returns the hammer ~1/16" rearward.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post