SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    C-More red dots and dot size? Edit: bought and installed.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

C-More red dots and dot size? Edit: bought and installed. Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I’ve been using Vortex Venom 3 MOA red dot sights on a Ruger MKIV and Ruger 10/22. However, even though they are nice sights, I need a bigger dot and one that can be adjusted brighter now that the sun is out.

I’m thinking a C-More 8MOA dot, used for rimfire and steel challenge events locally. How are they for battery life? I don’t imagine durability would be an issue on a .22 as they seem popular on centerfire open guns.

Edit: I’ve now got two CMore 8MOA sights on my .22s and they are awesome. Time will tell if I need to upgrade to aluminum. If that time comes, I may try a Vortex again. One of the big pluses for CMore is battery commonality. It uses the same battery as my AimPoint PRO and my others are all 2032 size batteries. Easier to stock and rotate.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Unless you are shooting bushel baskets, you may just find that the 8MOA is just too big.

If you have a traditional CMore you could just buy the dot module for it.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
8” and larger plates at about 15yrds.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
On the C-More website, there's a chart of what their dot size will cover at a given distance in yards.

For example, an 8 moa dot will cover 2" at 25 yards and 4" at 50 yards. At 15 yards, I extrapolate an 8 moa dot will cover a 1.2" diameter circle.

I suppose it's a give and take between precision and ease of acquiring the red dot.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
C-More traditional red dots also need to be re-zeroed after changing the dot module.
The C-More on my Infinity open gun cracked the plastic body right between the windage adjustment screw and the windage lock screw. Windage adjustment wandered because the lock screw wouldn't tighten hard enough against the windage screw.
C-More was happy to replace the entire plastic body of the sight, using the lens and electronics from the bad unit at MY expense.
The repair was EXPENSIVE!
Battery life and brightness were OK.
I believe C-More now manufactures a sight with an aluminum body in addition to the plastic models. I would NEVER buy one of their plastic models again. If I didn't have so much time and money invested in the custom titanium scope mount for the Infinity open gun, I would have thrown the C-More in the garbage when the body cracked and installed some type of an Aimpoint.

InkedDSC00735_LI by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1531 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
No problems with either of mine. They are the Serendipity mounts on 2011s so I don't know if that would do you any good, but they are reinforced when compared to the rail mount. The battery has lasted for years.

I am more of an opportunist, so I'd wait around for one of these or an RMR to go on sale before buying either. Good luck.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For shooting steel, I think 8 MOA would be fine.
I detest any dot sight that can't have the brightness manually adjusted.
I'm a little color blind, and have looked through a couple of venoms, and they suck for me. Venoms, on the other hand, I can see just fine.
I probably have 5 or 6 conventional C-Mores left, and as has been previously stated, some have wandering zeros, and I also had a body that cracked, and sent it in for an expensive repair.
My favorite dot sight is OKO, now sold by Magnum shooters supply. Not only do they have a larger "window", the dots seem crisper, and they use a cheap 2032 battery.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
For steel you want larger than smaller dot size and 8moa is perfect. You just aren’t making precision shots with steel, it’s all about speed. I have 2 C-more slide rides on .22s and they are awesome!

SB

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1645 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Have you considered the HoloSun 507C?

It has a circle/dot reticle, with a 2MOA dot, and 32MOA circle.

You can just focus on the whole circle for "close and coarse" shooting, or focus on the dot for "far and fine," shooting.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I found a CMore Railway with the click switch and 8MOA dot on sale and put in on my 10/22. Great dot, now I need to sight it in.

Optical Delusion
Picture of BNW
posted Hide Post
I run the 6 moa c-mores and love them. Why don't you run the new Venom 6 moa ?
http://www.vortexoptics.com/pr...om-red-dot-6-moa-dot

Posts: 2092 | Location: Maine | Registered: January 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a little color blind. I can see some of the red dot sights, in bright sunlight, if I wear red glasses, but, I couldn’t see the dot on the Venom,but I can see the dot on a Viper

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I thought about the 6MOA Vortex but I liked the CMore 8MOA I tried.

Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I use 8 MOA Burris FF3's on my USPSA Carry Optic gun and on my rimfire Steel Challenge. 3 MOA was OK, the bigger dot is better.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to this thread and a special thanks to cee Kamp - I just purchsed a C-More from Optics Planet...

The reason I say special thanks to cee Kamp is because of your post I purchsed the aluminum version...

Bought the ARW aluminum body with click switch with the 8MOA. Gonna attach it to my Ruger Target Lite 10/22....Gonna start shooting rimfire steel matches....Lookout Cole Busch - I am coming after you young man.... Big Grin....Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I got the 8MOA sighted in nicely, now for a match. I need to find another sale and get one and a Allchin Mount for the pistols.

posted Hide Post
I just took, what I believe is an Alchin, 45 degree mount, off one of my STI open guns. I’m trying something different, and if it works out for me, I’ll be putting the mount up for sale.
Not computer literate enough to know how to post a picture. Eek

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Update:

I now have two CMore Polymer sights with the 8MOA dot. One is in the railway mount and click switch on a 10/22 and the other has the standard switch and is on an Allchin mount on a Ruger MKIV Lite Pistol. Both are awesome, I much prefer the standard no click switch though.

The only issue I had was having to buy and trim screws for the Allchin on the Mk IV. The factory Picatinny mount screws weren’t long enough for a good hold with the Allchin mount to the receiver. I had to buy some 6/48 x 1/4” socket head screws and then file them to length. I removed about two threads worth from the length. Lucky for me, Ace Hardware has a section of gun screws so I could match them up. Some Blue Loctite and it seems solid now.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I do not think you will have any problem with an 8 moa CMore dot at a steel match.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm biased in favor of Vortex due to price, warranty, and quality. I'll check the model tomorrow, but they make one with a red/green choice that is a largish circle with a dot inside. I've found it very quick on acquisition. Haven't used it but a couple of times, a friend loaned it to me.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post