SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Heritage Rough Rider
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heritage Rough Rider Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted
Besides sounding like a condom from the 70s and having a manual safety, I'm tempted to pick up this plinker. ~$125 and pick up a 22mag cylinder later. 6.5" barrel and about 2 lbs.

Anyone have any horror stories with this new Taurus made revolver or is it a decent value? TIA

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Ive sold a lot of them. No complaints. A lot of parents like to use them to teach their kids with since they have a safety. And its a good gun for the money.

Posts: 7398 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice little gun, worth twice what they charge for them.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I just ordered one last week; it should show up to my FFL tomorrow. I haven't even seen one in person, but this review by Hickok45 convinced me it was worth $120:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sruOplt19hw&t=1199s

In doing a little research, I've seen some reports of the finish being terrible, as in painted on, but I think those were older guns. At least I hope so, and I'll know soon.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine came with the WinMag cylinder.

Everyone loves shooting the thing. Great little plinker for the money.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got one for Christmas and it's been a great little gun. I've probably put about 1000rds through it so far without issue. I ordered the .22Mag cylinder from Heritage and they shipped it to me in about 4 days. Shooting the .22Mag gets your hands dirty pretty quick from all the unburned powder.

Posts: 185 | Registered: July 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are considered "pot metal" guns but the price is often too good to pass up.

That roughrider condom was popular at least into the 90's. They were available in every gas station bathroom vending machine around here. I'm ashamed I know much more about it than the gun mentioned. Red Face Eek

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I bought a nice used one for $100 before Christmas to use as a rat shot pistol. I like it. Well worth the money.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My FIL has one. I have a Ruger Single-Six. The heritage was less than $150 OTD. The Ruger was over $500. The Ruger is a far nicer gun. It is built like a tank, has nice heft, fit and finish is better, and the action feels much more refined. The Heritage action is a bit mushy, and the gun itself feels cheap...almost like a toy. The safety is awful and has no place on a single-action revolver.

That said, the trigger on my FIL's Heritage is better than the one on my Ruger. And for the money, if you just want a cheap plinker, the Heritage is a fantastic value. If you were going to use them hard, the Ruger would probably outlast 10 Heritages, but if it's going to see light use as a range toy (which to be honest is pretty much what my Ruger does), the Heritage should do just fine.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Besides sounding like a condom from the 70s and having a manual safety, I'm tempted to pick up this plinker. ~$125 and pick up a 22mag cylinder later. 6.5" barrel and about 2 lbs.

Anyone have any horror stories with this new Taurus made revolver or is it a decent value? TIA

A friend has a (pre-Taurus ownership) Heritage /22LR/.22Mag.
Surprisingly accurate.
One can easily tell this is a pistol that was built to a certain price point but no major issues so far (about 10 years).
Be aware that there is a safety lever mounted at the top left by the rear sight. Roll Eyes
It also has an aluminum frame and seems to require a bit more attention to cleaning and lubrication in order to continue to operate smoothly compared to (for example) a Ruger Single Six.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Well built for the asking price. Lots of fun too.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
The sights look right on which made me a little nervous. Man, I bet they're selling a boat load. Will send in the coupon for a 22m barrel for 29.95. Thanks for the replies. Not a lot of negatives for the price.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigSentry,

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post