SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W 686 Performance Center 2.5in 357 Magnum. Any members own one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 686 Performance Center 2.5in 357 Magnum. Any members own one? Login/Join 
posted
Hello fellow members. Does anyone have any good or not so good experience on this gun. I saw it at my local fun store. I checked it out and dry fired it. What a nice da/sa trigger. I liked the way it felt and handled for a fairly good size wheel gun. It does not appeared to have been shot that much. I think the price is reasonable at $725.00. I’m also in the mood for a wheel gun. So fellow members. Is this a good wheel gun? And is the price fair for it being gently used?

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had several 2.5" 686's, but most recently a 4" , 7 shot 686-5. The only reason I parted with it was because I found the highly sought after 3" 65-5 K frame. Since I really only shoot .38 out of magnum revolvers, I traded my 686 toward the NIB 65.
All of this being said, I have stated several times in this forum that if I could only have one gun, it would probably be a 686. They are in my opinion, the best all around revolvers ever produced. You can plink .38's with it, hunt with it with .357, home defense with it, and with right rig and clothes even carry the 2.5" concealed.
I think everyone should have one.
I know they are more that $725 new, so if it's in good shape that price is ok.
If you want a revolver you can't go wrong with a 686.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have a 686 PC. I do have two 686+ 5" and 2 7/8". I also have a 627 PC, and a 625, Model 40 centennial, 642 with trigger work, model 19, Pre 14 K-38.

Out of all of them, the 686+ 5 or 3" are the best bang for the buck out of the box. If you have run across a true PC version not the PS version for 725 that is a steal. They are great guns, solid performers and enjoyable shooters.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My usual question when it comes to S&W revolvers. Does it have the stupid ILS system? If yes, then that price is way too much. If not, then Hell yeah!

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The gun I’m looking at unfortunately has the ugly hole known as the internal lock system. But I know you can remove the ils. And you can buy a plug for the hole to make it more aesthetically appealing.

Posts: 624 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
The only drawback of the 2.5" K or L frame guns is that the short barrel limits the length of the ejector rod. A full stroke of the rod is not enough for .357 cases to clear the cylinder - you have to rely on gravity and a good sharp rap on the ejector rod.

This why the 3" K-frames are so popular - 3" barrel allows for a full-length ejector rod.

Just something to consider.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Just about ANY Performance Center offering in good condition is worth $750 these days, even sight unseen

While I do not own that particular Firearm, I do own quite a few Performance Center guns including a 3" 586 L-Comp and the 3" 66 F-comp.

These are among my favorite snubbies, but I am happy with all of the Performance Center firearms that I own

Since you already like the feel of the action and the way it handles, I would run back and grab it before someone else does.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Like others have said. That is a very good price for a PC gun. I'm guessing that it has the lock? If so, you'll want to get the "Lock plug" and take that out!

While the 2.5" is OK, I prefer the 3" so that you have a full size ejector rod. I'd still buy it and enjoy it!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're looking at a new S&W .357 Snubby, Its'Grandpa says Hi!
Here's my olde Mdl 66...It's a lifetime investment....mine's built like a swiss watch, and looks like a piece of modern art.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post