SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New P365XL Range Report ***Update 01/28/2020***
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New P365XL Range Report ***Update 01/28/2020*** Login/Join 
Picture of rockchalk06
posted
***Update 01/10/2020***

Received the new RSA from Sig yesterday (01/09/2020) and hit the range after a short day of work today. Started off with 115 grain Sig FMJ ammo. Round 8 and round 11, failure to return to battery. I didn't even get through a damn full mag before two issues. I gave up and went home. Then spent another 34 minutes and 51 seconds getting through to Sig for a return label. Shipping this piece of shit back and hoping for a new firearm. Sell it and be done. I'll stick with my Sig P365 I've had for a year and chalk it up to lesson learned.

I'll start off by saying, I have never had a weapon so tight and be such a PITA during a break in as this XL.

Purchased this NIB yesterday afternoon. Took it home, stripped, cleaned and lubed it. The striker removal is a bit different on this over my P365. DOB on this XL was December 5th 2019. The channel, insert and striker were covered in whatever the hell Sig put on it. It was a tacky clear oil. Once I got it cleaned, I hit the range.

First 150 rounds were a pain. I had 12 failure to return to full battery issues. It would eject the spent round, feed another and get all but about 1/64" and stop. A simple light push with my thumb would return it to full battery. This was using Fiocchi 124 grain FMJ and M.E.N. 124 grain FMJ. I noticed a metric shit ton of brass shavings/dust everywhere. These were extremely small, but it was everywhere. Looked like you dropped gold dust in there.

Broke it down and wiped everything out. I used a very light oil on the rails and barrel. Ran 50 rounds of Federal HST 147 grain and had 4 more issues. Ran another 100 rounds of Winchester Nato 124 grain FMJ and had 3 of the same failure to return to full battery issues. Again, a light press of the thumb would go full battery and so on. I ended the day at round count 277. Again, brass every where. I did notice that the extractor was making hell on the case rim.

Once home, I took a very fine file and ran it over the extractor claw twice. Cleaned and lubed the heck out of it. Went back to the range today and had 200 rounds of Blazer brass 115 grain FMJ run flawlessly. Loaded mags with 124 grain Federal HST and round 477, ended with a failure to return to battery. The weapon was almost too hot to hold. I have a blister on my trigger finger as it was so hot. I don't think I ever noticed this with my P365? Oil used was Lucas Gun oil. Apparently it was cooked off as the weapon was damn near dry. Brass dust was present, but about 1/10th of what it was yesterday. All I had in the bag was a bottle of Remington Oil. Ran a bead over both frame rails, slide rails and over and around the chamber. Round 476 through 566 was flawless. That was 50 rounds of Sig 115 grain FMJ and the rest 124 grain Federal HST.

Primer drag was almost nothing. That seems to be gone from the P365, if it mattered at all?

I'm undecided. 566 rounds should be enough to loosen the weapon up, but it's lockup is still as tight as day one. I've also cycled and dry fired the weapon a few hundred times.

A few notes: These issues were all 100% identical, occurred with both 12 and both 15 round mags, thumbs were no where near the slide and no limp wristing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rockchalk06,

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would use grease on the rails, not oil. Also use grease where the barrel locks up and near the end, where the smiley develops.

Only use oil in the trigger assembly and a tad in the slide. There is a good video on cleaning and lubing the P320 on youtube. It should be the same for a P365.

-c1steve

Posts: 4039 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I just picked one up and got about 250 rounds down with no problems.

I’m still a bit sketchy on the ergos however. It kinda points funny to me. Still working on how to grip it where it points naturally. It’s really small front to back.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:

I’m still a bit sketchy on the ergos however. It kinda points funny to me. Still working on how to grip it where it points naturally. It’s really small front to back.

I’ve noticed this too. I will draw from a holster and it points down a little for me. I’m wondering if it’s because I normally carry a Glock.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:

I’ve noticed this too. I will draw from a holster and it points down a little for me. I’m wondering if it’s because I normally carry a Glock.

I had a bad tendency to drop rounds low and left if I didn't do my part. I think you are both right, it does point a tad different in the hand.

Update on my XL,

I called Sig and have a new RSA on the way. I also switched up to Lucas Oil Grease on the rails, barrel and chamber area. The Sig rep was pretty sure it was the RSA, but I'm not completely sold on that. I'll see if the combination of the two work.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I wish hogue had a sleeve that would build up a bit of backstrap on it. I have the beaver tail version. It doesn’t really help. It grips better for sure but still points funny.

TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fiocchi
ammo tends to have thicker rims than most others, which is probably why you were having issues.
It's possible that you don't have quite enough clearance between the breechface, and the extractor, or, that your extractor tension is just too tight.
Next time you pull it apart to clean, with the barrel out, slide a cartridge up, under the extractor, If it's clearanced, and has proper tension, the cartridge SHOULD slide up, in to place freely, and should be tight enough for you to wiggle the slide, without the cartridge falling out.
As a competition shooter, I check every time I pull a pistol down for cleaning.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RH45:
quote:
Fiocchi
ammo tends to have thicker rims than most others, which is probably why you were having issues.
It's possible that you don't have quite enough clearance between the breechface, and the extractor, or, that your extractor tension is just too tight.
Next time you pull it apart to clean, with the barrel out, slide a cartridge up, under the extractor, If it's clearanced, and has proper tension, the cartridge SHOULD slide up, in to place freely, and should be tight enough for you to wiggle the slide, without the cartridge falling out.
As a competition shooter, I check every time I pull a pistol down for cleaning.

Unfortunately, I'm out of Fiocchi ammo to test, but it did the same with both Federal HST in 124 and 147 grain, Sig 115 grain FMJ and and M.E.N. 124 grain FMJ.

I will check that though. Thank you

Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
I would use grease on the rails, not oil. Also use grease where the barrel locks up and near the end, where the smiley develops.

Only use oil in the trigger assembly and a tad in the slide. There is a good video on cleaning and lubing the P320 on youtube. It should be the same for a P365.

The Sig rep mentioned the same thing. I've switched up to Lucas Oil Grease in those areas. It's just weird, I've always used just Lucas oil, and never had this issue. I've also never had a weapon so damn right before either.

My new RSA should be here next week. I'm going to wait for it and with using Grease as mentioned, shoot it next Saturday and see what happens.

I do appreciate it.

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Ok. 500 trouble free rounds so far. The hogue grip really changed it for the better. Close to perfect now. Funny wear/dent on rear of mag just to the right right near the top. One mag showing it worse that the other 2.

TCB all the time...

posted Hide Post
I have had the EXACT same issue as RockChalk, and I too am waiting on a new RSA for what is a home grown 365 XL.
I got my 365 October, 2018, and had a handful of RTB issues and a couple FTF in the first 50-70 rounds, then they all went away, and I had about 1100 rounds absolutely perfect zero issues at all.
I wanted the longer slide and barrel of the XL, and am fine with the longer grip of the extended 12 round magazine on my 365. So a couple months ago I bought a 365XL upper, and put it on my 365 with a 12 round magazine.
Well, so began the exact same issues as RockChalk. Most of my rounds were S&B 115, and fewer Federal HST124. I tried four trips of 40-70 rounds, using gobs of grease, and kept getting the same thing. Maybe not as many as RockChalk, but 1-4 every ~ 24 rounds. Always just 1/64", would return to battery with just a touch, or even a shake of the gun. Was just like my first 50 rounds of the 365 back in October, 2018 (which is why I hoped it wouldo go away). I was really bummed, because the 365 and 365 XL are just so good and so accurate, and I would like to have the confidence to replace my beloved G43.
After the fourth trip, I turned the gun back into its original 365 form, and put 200 perfect S&B rounds through it.
So the problem is clearly the 365XL upper, and I suspect (hope) the RSA. I called Sig CS about a week ago or so, and they agreed probably the RSA -- though said if a new one didn't do it, I could send the gun back and they would look at the whole thing.
My guess and hope is that the RSA has always been a fine balance on the platform, and they are still getting it right on some of the XL's.
Hoping to get the RSA any day. If it works out as well as the original 365, eventually I will probably transition from G43 to a 365 MS. And possibly, for constancy of platform and magazines, might even transition from my Cajunized PCR to a homegrown 365 XL?

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
I have had the EXACT same issue as RockChalk, and I too am waiting on a new RSA for what is a home grown 365 XL.
I got my 365 October, 2018, and had a handful of RTB issues and a couple FTF in the first 50-70 rounds, then they all went away, and I had about 1100 rounds absolutely perfect zero issues at all.
I wanted the longer slide and barrel of the XL, and am fine with the longer grip of the extended 12 round magazine on my 365. So a couple months ago I bought a 365XL upper, and put it on my 365 with a 12 round magazine.
Well, so began the exact same issues as RockChalk. Most of my rounds were S&B 115, and fewer Federal HST124. I tried four trips of 40-70 rounds, using gobs of grease, and kept getting the same thing. Maybe not as many as RockChalk, but 1-4 every ~ 24 rounds. Always just 1/64", would return to battery with just a touch, or even a shake of the gun. Was just like my first 50 rounds of the 365 back in October, 2018 (which is why I hoped it wouldo go away). I was really bummed, because the 365 and 365 XL are just so good and so accurate, and I would like to have the confidence to replace my beloved G43.
After the fourth trip, I turned the gun back into its original 365 form, and put 200 perfect S&B rounds through it.
So the problem is clearly the 365XL upper, and I suspect (hope) the RSA. I called Sig CS about a week ago or so, and they agreed probably the RSA -- though said if a new one didn't do it, I could send the gun back and they would look at the whole thing.
My guess and hope is that the RSA has always been a fine balance on the platform, and they are still getting it right on some of the XL's.
Hoping to get the RSA any day. If it works out as well as the original 365, eventually I will probably transition from G43 to a 365 MS. And possibly, for constancy of platform and magazines, might even transition from my Cajunized PCR to a homegrown 365 XL?

My RSA should be here Wednesday. It will probably be Saturday before I get out to the range though.

I've got a Sig P320 with Norsso slide I need to run some ammo through and I need to zero my RMR on my 19.

posted Hide Post
I'm interested in this gun. Sorry to hear about your troubles but I'm looking forward to your update and hope it makes the pistol reliable.

Posts: 30 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. Not looking for a striker-fired CC weapon (I use a Springfield EMP), but I keep fondling 365 XLs at gunshows...

Posts: 3530 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You shot 500 rounds through 1 pistol at the range without taking a break except to load magazines? If so, I would expect the pistol to be too hot to hold and blazingly hot. I usually bring several guns to the range and rotate around every 100 rounds or so, which gives them a chance to cool off.

As for putting the XL upper on a normal 365 pistol and having return to battery issues. I would try a lighter recoil spring and see if that fixes the issue. It might be a little oversprung and not getting enough slide velocity to RTB.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I shot 250 rounds as fast as I could load the mags. Not in a hurry, but not stopping to rest either. The gun wasn’t hot like I expected. My G48 seemed to get hotter.
The slide was hot but the trigger wasn’t.

TCB all the time...

posted Hide Post
As for putting the XL upper on a normal 365 pistol and having return to battery issues. I would try a lighter recoil spring and see if that fixes the issue. It might be a little oversprung and not getting enough slide velocity to RTB.[/QUOTE]

The xl upper came with its own xl RSA.
I bet the new one coming from Sig CS will do it. Great pistol.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
You shot 500 rounds through 1 pistol at the range without taking a break except to load magazines?

Read it again. I put 566 rounds over two days through the weapon. First range session was almost 3 hours and the last was approx 2. I commented that it was hotter that any other weapon I have done the same too, including my P365.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rockchalk06:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by techguy:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by

Update on my XL,

I called Sig and have a new RSA on the way. I also switched up to Lucas Oil Grease on the rails, barrel and chamber area. The Sig rep was pretty sure it was the RSA, but I'm not completely sold on that. I'll see if the combination of the two work.

RockChalk,
My replacement RSA came from Sig yesterday.
Will see if that does the trick this weekend.

Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
quote:
Originally posted by rockchalk06:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by techguy:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by

Update on my XL,

RockChalk,
My replacement RSA came from Sig yesterday.
Will see if that does the trick this weekend.

I'm interested to hear how it fairs for you. Mine is due today according to tracking.