SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I'm starting to get a hankering for a long slide 1911. (Update Page 2)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm starting to get a hankering for a long slide 1911. (Update Page 2) Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
Starting to get that itch again and I just bought a 1911 last week. I've been looking at possibly building one. Funion has some interesting combinations of slides and frames. Any advice before I jump in?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tommydogg,

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
The Dan Wesson Bruin is a nice longslide piece. Can be had in .45 and 10MM.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thinking you mean Fusion.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Thinking you mean Fusion.

Your right! I don't know how that happened! Smile

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I am from the area of Fusion Firearms and sold one of my lathes to Bob Serva years back. It may well still be at DW in Norwich, NY. Far as I know, there is noone making 1911 parts up there and I wondered if Fusion parts were made at DW, which would be good.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Billy346:

I think Brownells even has a few on sale right now!

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Go for it . . . . I am a fan of Long Slide 1911s

I built this one a few summers ago. Chambered for 10MM Auto, three position Aristocrat sights, ball bearing mounted trigger, Briley barrel and spherical bushing, Thor's Hammer hand scrimshawed onto the Ivory grips, etc. Smile

However, this was not my first. Les Baer built this 45ACP Target Master for me several years ago. The smooth logo grips were a special request

One of the Springfield Long Slides chambered for the 45 SUPER cartridge

Plus I have some of the original 7" AMT/IAI longslides. One in 45ACP and another in 10MM Auto

Saving the big boy for last. I have a 10 1/2" LAR Grizzly chambered for 45 Winchester Magnum. I also have the conversion for this to go to the 357/45GWM cartridge

Yes I know I need to dig out the big Grizzly and shoot a better picture of it.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my Springfield V16 Long slide. Had some trigger work done to it and it is a shooter.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am from the area of Fusion Firearms and sold one of my lathes to Bob Serva years back. It may well still be at DW in Norwich, NY. Far as I know, there is noone making 1911 parts up there and I wondered if Fusion parts were made at DW, which would be good.

I've been to Fusion in Florida picking up parts. I pass Venice on occasion for work travels, they are about 2.5 hours from me. I'm pretty sure they do their work there. They have about half of a good size warehouse/shop building.

Those sure are some purty long slides pictured!

Beth Greene

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Billy346:

Exactly what I was thinking of.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I'll give my thumbs up on the Dan Wesson Bruin!! I'll have mine in 10MM please!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
I'll give my thumbs up on the Dan Wesson Bruin!! I'll have mine in 10MM please!

Love the Bruin hate the price lol

This one definitely has jumped out at me a few times..I just bought a 1911 though and I can't drop another G on a gun right now.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...roducts_id/411557747

Posts: 140 | Location: NW Kansas | Registered: May 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Ive thought about the remington hunter in 10mm also. Scratches the 10mm, 1911, and long slide hand cannon itch all in one, but don't know if I can justify it for the money compared to a 10mm conversion on my G21, or a blue-line price on a g20.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'll be the dissenter. I never saw the appeal of a longslide 1911. Especially in .45ACP.

I'd spend my 1911 money on a full sized .38 Super. That is the semi-exotic 1911 I've always wanted.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
quote:

I've been to Fusion in Florida picking up parts. I pass Venice on occasion for work travels, they are about 2.5 hours from me. I'm pretty sure they do their work there. They have about half of a good size warehouse/shop building.

Those sure are some purty long slides pictured!
Thank you for the Fusion information Tom.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I'll be the dissenter. I never saw the appeal of a longslide 1911. Especially in .45ACP.

I'd spend my 1911 money on a full sized .38 Super. That is the semi-exotic 1911 I've always wanted.
Many a target shooter bought the Clark conversions to long slide. Good point on the .38 Super jhe. I will own one someday.

Picture of hctr154
posted Hide Post
I always thought long slide .45s were pretty cool....goes to the original Terminator movie!

"Long slide .45 with laser sighting"

Posts: 334 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: February 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Great guns in this thread!!!

I came this "" close to getting an AMT longslide back in the 80's, but ended up getting their Hardballer instead. I had my ffl back then and I think the longslide was under $400 and the Hardballer was around $300.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I should have this sichi-a-chon rectified by Tuesday! Smile

Beth Greene