SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone here have a Kahr MK9?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here have a Kahr MK9? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Get a CM9, the MK9's are a little brick.

I had one around 10 years ago, bought it from someone here. Liked it but found it WAY too heavy for it's size and capacity.

I now pocket carry a CW380 and love it.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate this thread. I have always wanted to try one of these pistols but no shop has had one in my area to try, ever. I always like to handle a pistol before I buy but I had to order on line yesterday.

I don"t like polymer guns and heavy is what you get with all steel, looking forward to receiving it. This place is full of enablers.

Posts: 1252 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I installed a MagGuts kit in my 6-round CW380 magazine and it makes it a 7-rounder AND more reliable too as sometimes Kahr mags can be flaky with the angle the rounds sit in the magazine or something like that plus they seem to have weak stock springs.

I highly recommend it to anyone who has a Kahr 9mm or .380

MagGuts - Kahr

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I have an MK9 but it mostly sits in my safe. At the time I bought it, I had several Kahr K9's and a T40 which I found to be very accurate and comfortable to handle.

The MK9 was purchased based on the above using the reasoning that the smaller package would be an advantage in certain carry situations. Instead, I found it to be far less comfortable from a handling standpoint relative to any benefit from decreased size and increased concealability.

I had no issue with the weight of the K9 and found it far more comfortable in my hand and much easier to get and stay on target with than the MK9.

After much reflection, I chalked this up to a personal preference for carry guns which did not shrink below a certain size relative to their larger cousins for most normal self-defense usage. The Sig P938 never appealed to me, for example. It wasn't due to quality or function issues, I just felt more comfortable with something in Commander size or bigger in that type of platform.

With a good holster and belt, there are few situations where I find my MK9 preferable to my K9. Again, that is an acquired personal preference. If you really wring out the MK9 and find it to your liking, you'll no doubt find it to be surprisingly accurate for its size, very comfortable from a recoil standpoint with carry ammo and extremely reliable.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several Kahrs in my safe, but haven't shot one in quite a while. The first one I shot, probably 25+ years ago, impressed me enough that I bought one. I loved the size, trigger, feel, function, everything. I had a star firestar that I carried frequently concealed at the time, and it was a brick too...so the steel Kahr didn't seem an imposition. Along came the polymer kahrs.

I tried them, loved the size, trigger, everything but the ongoing malfucnctions and problems. The biggest was a failure to return to battery. They went back to Kahr repeatedly, with Kahr replacing nearly everything, but they were unable to solve the problems. Barrel hood peening and failure to return to battery, mostly. I put 4-5000 rounds through a P40, and really wanted to like it, but finally gave up.

The camel-injury straw came when I got a P40 back from Kahr, took it to the range, and on the second mag, the pistol fired out of battery. It blew out the mag, and blew open the side of the pistol and vented along my hand and back into my face. I lost enthusiasm for them after that.

With the plethora of small better handguns today, it's hard to look back. In particular, the G43 and the P365 have impressed me.

I haven't met many owners of the small kahr's who have disliked them, but I've never met an owner who shot them much, either. The "full size" kahrs, a bit more maybe, but I don't recall talking to any other kahr owners who did more than a token box here and there out of them.

I don't think I've ever heard a complaint about the steel pistols, except for the weight.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've had one for over a decade. It's better for IWB carry, but I have pocket carried in a Nemesis pocket holster (balances better if you have mags in weak side pocket). Smooth but long trigger. Like all small full power guns it's not a volume shooter. IME, shooting 100 rounds at the range with it is more tiring than shooting 300 rounds out of a P229.

If someone wasn't going to carry a spare mag or two, I'd have to inquire why they're carrying a semi-auto instead of a j-frame?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
MK9? Yes, I've owned four (4). Two MK's and two Elites. Loved every one of them. Simply couldn't make them a long term carry option. There was always something that suited me better. At least that's what I thought anyway.

I generally end up with a 938 in my pocket or 9mm DW ECO or P224 DAK on my hip.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Definitely
NOT Banned
Picture of teombe
posted Hide Post
I'll echo the folks who say that the steel Kahrs are a bit too heavy to carry with respect to their capacity. I have a PM9, a P9, and a K9 - I am a big fan of their trigger pulls, but the ownership experience is hampered by their takedown procedure (for cleaning) and the general difficulties that my wife has with slide manipulation. My opinion - If you want a Kahr as a shooter, then a K9 or a T9 will be better for that task than an MK9. For carry, I would go with a PM9 if sticking with Kahr - or any of the newer Sig/Glock tiny pistols. A Glock 43 or Sig365 will be a bit bigger, but both handle more like a full-sized pistol.

Posts: 2044 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: February 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Everyone is telling you it's heavy for carry. It's a piece of steel, but either way carry or not, it's a nice gun to shoot. There's something cool about a gun that small that's so well made, and doesn't hurt to shoot a lot.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post