SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone here have a Kahr MK9?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here have a Kahr MK9? Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
Does anyone here have a Kahr MK9?

I'm looking at purchasing one in the next few weeks. How does it compare to some of the other similar sized guns?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I sold mine about 6 months ago. Really nice gun. Couldn't believe how well it shot, recoil was like a full sized gun, or better. Slide is pretty hard to rack, but definitely a solid pistol.
Felt almost like a PPK? Not sure what other guns compare, it's makes guns like the pocket Rugers and even polymer Kahrs feel like absolute junk (not saying they are).

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
I carried one for years. Excellent weapon, well balanced and one of the best stock triggers I’ve shot. The one obvious negative is the weight.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by njauto:
I carried one for years. Excellent weapon, well balanced and one of the best stock triggers I’ve shot. The one obvious negative is the weight.

What did you switch to and why?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a dandy little pistol, fun to shoot, and small enough for the pocket but...

The same weight for which it handles well makes it feel like a brick. So to me not practical for pocket carry, which is my method. I'm not likely to use it so convenience is paramount. Hell, I don't even carry a reload. Eek

IMO the MK9 is great for a glove box or belt carry if size is a concern. The PM9 is a lot lighter and a good bit slimmer. I have both Kahrs but there's a Rohrbaugh R9 in my pocket the last couple years, almost as convenient as a plastic 380.

Posts: 306 | Location: PA | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I also had one for several years, was replaced by a Sig P365. Very accurate for a pistol it’s size, also was 100% reliable. Very heavy but the weight helped with recoil.

The only real downside was the weight and thickness as mine had wood grips.

Wouldn’t hesitate to carry one again.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4520 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is very soft shooting and a buttery trigger pull.

Conceals very well and 100% reliable.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Had one for years. Great gun. Accurate & reliable. Just heavy. Makes a great bludgeon when you’ve expended all your rounds..

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've handled several, and as others have said the weight was always a detractor for me. The PM9 on the other hand (I have 2) is great. I can get it in a front pocket almost as easily as a J frame.

Posts: 1625 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I had an MK9 but found the slide length and recoil spring made it harder to rack. I preferred the K9 or P9 for that reason. But the MK9 was a nice gun in all other respects. Accurate shooter, great trigger, reliable loading and oh so handsome stainless finish.

An MK9 isn't a pocket gun in my opinion. The weight made IWB/OWB a better option. If you like the size and want to carry in the pocket, the PM9 is a better option.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShoreGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I bought a K9 when they were brand new and later traded it for a new K40 stainless. Regarding the trigger, I remember I had just picked up the K40 bc went right to the range to qualify and it was the first time I shot a perfect score. I’d like to buy a K9, only because the .40 is still pretty snappy and I have no desire to shrink down to a MK40, but I’d like the option of having the two sizes since the Mk9 really beats a lot of the micro pistols out there...maybe it’s heavier but they don’t feel like a gun that’s been butchered to be small at the expense of ergonomics.

West German P228 (first duty weapon)
GOTM Nickel P229

Posts: 79 | Location: NC | Registered: March 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have one and like it quite a bit. It's got a decent trigger for DAO, it is accurate, reliable and a nice shooter.

I carry it IWB so the weight is really not an issue for me.

If you like the 'feel' and comforting heft of a steel-framed compact, the MK9 is a great choice.

Keep in mind that there are some reports of feed problems when using the 7-rounds mags, as it is suspected that the pressure of one's pinky on the bottom of the mag causes just enough mis-alignment of the mag to cause feeding issues. I have not experienced this with the several 7-rounder's that I have.

If you are buying new, break it in as prescribed and use the slide release to chamber the first round (as instructed).

Rob

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I will be the lone discenter. I bought the first year production MK9 back in the late 1990's. I had it for several years. It went back to Khar 3 times. I would not feed 2 rounds in a row. ever. every type of 9mm ammo ball, 115, 124, 147 +P and +P+. When i got i back the last time from khar, they refused to work on it further. I traded it for a my wifes 642 PC.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rebut10
posted Hide Post
Had one for years. Great little shooter. Great trigger, very accurate and reliable. Belt carry or winter coat pocket carry are best options imho.

Live free or die...
Don't tread on me...
Molon Labe...
Take your pick.

Posts: 1235 | Location: Not on Cape Cod. | Registered: December 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The steel kahr's are great. The polymer ones, not so much.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just heavy.

This^^^

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The_Watcher
posted Hide Post
It is the best shooter in the size class due to the weight. Great IWB but too heavy for pocket. Glock 43 beats it in many ways

Posts: 184 | Registered: April 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a MK9. It is a superb small pistol.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
quote:

What did you switch to and why?

I switched to the Glock 43. Lighter and my other carry is the Glock 19. Basically, Glock 9mm for carry.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Had one. Too heavy. Switched to PM9.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post