SIGforum
Ideas on FTF - Glock 17 Gen 2 - UPDATE SOLVED

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/7040052434

December 07, 2017, 12:48 AM
Frenchy1004
Ideas on FTF - Glock 17 Gen 2 - UPDATE SOLVED
The Problem: So I picked up a used Gen 2 Glock 17 about a month ago. Today was my first trip to the range with it and after about 5 or 6 trouble free rounds, I started having issues with the slide locking open after firing and subsequently not chambering the next round. This is a first for me so I am trying to figure out what could be causing it, I had no issues with ejection, just feeding. In case anyone is wondering:

Gun: Since it was purchased used with no idea on prior use, I replaced all of the springs with a factory kit. Otherwise the pistol is stock.

Magazines: I only got 1 mag when I purchased the gun, which I did not have with me today. The two mags I had today were new 17 round factory mags, they were Gen 4 style if that makes any difference.

Ammo: Reloaded ammo from my Dad using 124 grain FMJ bullets. Can provide more info on the loading if need be. I did not have another 9 mm pistol with me today to see to be able to rule this out completely, however I have used ammo from this batch in my P6 with no issues.

Any help would be appreciated!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frenchy1004,
December 07, 2017, 01:07 AM
highlander81
Check the fine spring on your slide stop lever and see if it has broken. When those break, the pistol will lock open randomly with rounds in the magazine as you’re firing. Without spring tension it bounces upwards and locks the slide open.

That’s the number one part I’ve broken on my Glocks.

A second possibility is that you didn’t get that same slide stop spring on the correct side of the frame pin (you mentioned changing all springs and therefore did a detailed disassembly). That would mean no spring tension on the slide stop lever and allow the slide stop to bounce and lock open the gun with rounds in the mag.
December 07, 2017, 01:09 AM
KMitch200
If this was a Gen3 I'd say the slide stop spring is over - not under - the locking block pin that Gen3s have.
Edit: like highlander81 posted while I was typing Wink
Sorry, I don't know the orientation of Gen2s, never had one and never had one apart.

If the ammo has the oomph to eject the round and send the slide to lock, it should have pushed the slide far enough to feed the next round.
Is your grip (high thumb) hitting the slide stop forcing it up?

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.
December 07, 2017, 06:56 AM
Sir Guy
Reducing the number of variables will help narrow it down. You said you replaced all of the springs so that was a good start. New magazines also a good thing. I'd try different (factory) ammo and see how that performs.
December 07, 2017, 07:46 AM
Sig209
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Guy:
Reducing the number of variables will help narrow it down. You said you replaced all of the springs so that was a good start. New magazines also a good thing. I'd try different (factory) ammo and see how that performs.

I agree with this.

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
December 07, 2017, 08:48 AM
patw
Does your pistol have the older black parts? You can tell if the trigger bar itself is black or silver(silver is the newest version). There is I believe, 6 parts that need to be replaced if they are the older ones. I had an older Gen 2 G19 that had the older black parts. Glock stated the parts need to be replaced due to some problems but Glock will replace all parts to the newer ones for free,(might have to be done by a Glock armorer though-at least that is what I was told but there is no charge for that). You can keep the old parts if you so desire. Some people say it is more desirable to have the original parts but I couldn't give them away and besides, it is a Glock and not a high dollar/rare pistol. I had some issues with mine with the older parts and with the newer part installed, it was trouble free. Not sure if that will help or not.
December 07, 2017, 10:37 AM
jljones
How high of a grip are you shooting? The Gen 2 does not sport the finger grooves, and allows the hands to get up a lot higher on the pistol. If you are shooting a high thumbs type grip, you may be locking the slide open with your thumbs under recoil. (I know, I have had the same problem with the Gen5 19).

It appears comparing a Gen4 to the Gen5 (same profile as the Gen2), that both of my hands get much higher on the 5 than on the 4, and this is just enough to cause me to lock the slide back (even without a magazine installed) with the Gen5 19. I can't get my hands as high on the 17 and I have not had the same problem with the Gen5 17.

And I was bewildered at first because I just didn't get it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

December 08, 2017, 02:12 PM
Frenchy1004
I appreciate the replies so far. To answer some of the questions posed thus far:

patw: The gun has had the 6 part upgrade done.

jljones/KMitch200: I am left handed so when gripping it, my thumb is on the opposite side of the pistol. I appreciate the heads up though on the Gen 5 that you are having jljones as I haven't ruled out a G19 yet.

To all others, I had not thought about the slide lock itself. I actually have an extended version on backorder otherwise this probably would have been replaced. I got a couple boxes of cheap ammo on the way home from work today and will double check the slide lock and spring before heading to the range again.

I will keep everyone posted.
December 08, 2017, 09:15 PM
sns3guppy
quote:

Glock offers two different slide stop releases; the stock is square in shape and hard to activate by mistake; the alternate part has a tab which extends aft, and is sometimes referred to as the glock extended slide stop.

The extended slide stop is much easier to activate and accidentally lock the slide back when firing, even though rounds are still in the magazine.

A weak recoil spring may also be to blame.

Alternately, the slide stop release has a simple spring with it; it's possible to install the part incorrectly in a manner that does not allow the spring to keep downward tension on the lever, allowing it to flip up when the pistol is fired. Unload the pistol and check to make sure it springs back down. With the pistol empty and no magazine, lift the slide stop release and ensure that it snaps back down when let go. If it doesn't, there's your problem.
December 09, 2017, 09:44 PM
JoeyBones7
Post a pic of your side stop. The part that gets pushed up by the mag follower.

If this is an older (maybe 1994 or so?) vintage gen 2, you might have that oddly protruding OEM side stop tab, which in my case, was being struck by rounds jostling in the mag under recoil, causing the slide to lock back. It just stuck too far into the interior of the mag tube...

In my case, replacing with a new manufacture slide stop cured the issue on my gen 2 G19.
December 10, 2017, 01:15 AM
captain127
Little lesson for next time- shoot gun first if it runs do not replace anything. I would bet the “upgraded” new slide stop spring is installed improperly got damaged or kinked on installation or even could be an out of spec part. No sense in fixing something prior to confirming it is broke or needs it.
December 18, 2017, 08:50 AM
Rod
it is probably the slide stop. older gen 2 models had a tab sticking up. 3 pin models don't have the tab. if you are running one without the tab it will move up during recoil and lock back the slide.

https://media.midwayusa.com/pr...imary/864/864587.jpg
December 18, 2017, 10:33 PM
1lowlife
If you're going to replace the slide stop, I would look into the Vickers stop.
I use them on my full sized Glocks.

Vickers Tactical Slide Stop

December 19, 2017, 03:19 PM
Frenchy1004
So an update on what I found the problem to be, I took the gun apart again and found the slide stop spring to be dislodged, in fact it was almost sideways. Again this was the original slide stop and spring not a replacement, but a new one is on order.

Had it out to the range on Sunday and ran about 150 rounds through it, including some of the original reloads from the trip where the gun was acting up without a hiccup.

Thanks to all that responded!
December 19, 2017, 04:15 PM
highlander81
Glad it’s sorted out now.