SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    .22 semi auto pistol suggestions please.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 semi auto pistol suggestions please. Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Walther PPQ 22. I have one and it’s been excellent. I haven’t cleaned it in over 300 roudns and no failures of any kind (overall 500+ rounds) It feels just like my PPQ M2 and fits in the same holster.

I also have a .22lr exchange kit for my P220. It works fine as long as I keep it oiled and clean it after every trip to the range. It gives you SIG practice but the PPQ 22 is a much better pistol.

Posts: 12461 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CZ kadet. Or a CZ 75 with a kadet (.22 LR) kit on it.....then you have 2 guns in 1.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
I have three 22 pistols plus a 22 conversion for my P226. All of them are pickey about the ammo you use. My sig conversion and Ruger Mark III prefer MiniMax. The S&W 22A has been retired. The one I like most and shoot regularly is a S&W Victory which likes Federal Auto Match. Never had a failure with the Victory. Its probably not what you are looking for but its an excellent shooting 22 and its easy to take down and reassemble. I like the sig conversion but can't see the front sight and haven't changed it yet.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My all time favorite is the Beretta 87.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Do you own a 226 or 229? If so just buy a conversation kit. Then you have cheap trainer with no recoil. When they are ready, just swap slides and they get exact same manual of arms, grip, and weight . Mine (226) runs great, a few light strikes in first 200 rounds I shot, since then only a couple of them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Do you own a 226 or 229? If so just buy a conversation kit. Then you have cheap trainer with no recoil. When they are ready, just swap slides and they get exact same manual of arms, grip, and weight.

While I like my P226 22 conversion kit it surely is not the same weight as a 9MM P226 as the slide is aluminum for the conversion kit versus steel for the 9MM which is almost 8 ounces difference in weight. Weird for me handling my P226 when it felt as light as my Glock 19.

Posts: 9743 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Sig 22 conversion kits seem to work well with Mini Mags: but admittedly haven't fired them in years? Something to be said for same "manual of arms" for both fun and serious guns. If you have either AEP or Gray treatment, makes it even better.
I do like the Victory though and maybe might like the new Ruger Mark since they've apparently solved the assembly issues.

www.OrdnanceOutsellers.com
jerry@OrdnanceOutsellers.com

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Do you own a 226 or 229? If so just buy a conversation kit. Then you have cheap trainer with no recoil. When they are ready, just swap slides and they get exact same manual of arms, grip, and weight.

While I like my P226 22 conversion kit it surely is not the same weight as a 9MM P226 as the slide is aluminum for the conversion kit versus steel for the 9MM which is almost 8 ounces difference in weight. Weird for me handling my P226 when it felt as light as my Glock 19.

Didn't realize the slide weighed 8 oz less, wow. I knew it was lighter, but that's a huge difference. Factor in 15 rounds of 9 vs 10 of. 22 and it's really different.

Scratch the last word of my reply.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the S&W Plastic M&P Compact. It is a reliable plinker.
The Buckmark and Ruger Mk are entry level target pistols and will do more.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
A used S&W Model 41 is a bit more expensive than most .22s, but worth it.

true,

same can be said of the High Standards,,

however

neither fit the parameters he is looking for,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
You should consider the Sig Mosquito!....I can’t say it without laughing...sorry...

Posts: 1349 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
If I ever saw a Bersa 22 for sale locally (~250) I'd probably buy it. They can be finicky I hear but most 22s are..excepr my cz Kadet Roll Eyes

Posts: 3510 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
If I ever saw a Bersa 22 for sale locally (~250) I'd probably buy it. They can be finicky I hear but most 22s are..excepr my cz Kadet Roll Eyes

They aren't finicky as long as you use high-velocity ammo. Mine has never failed with Mini-Mags or Federal Auto-Match. If you're looking for something in a DA/SA configuration, it's a good option.

There's also the Firestorm .22, which is the same pistol with a rounded trigger guard.

Posts: 841 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
So I happened to be in the neighborhood of a Gander Outdoors today... stopped in and looked at an M &P 22 compact. Pretty nice feeling .22. I co pared it to the Ruger... liked the Smith better. So Gander wanted 342.49 for it new. Now I historically have always thought Gander was on drugs when they put price tags on their pistols but don't have much of a frame of reference on this. What's a fair price on one of these?

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Some quick searching on Google, Buds, and GB comes up with $335.00. Actually a good price at GM.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
$299 with free shipping.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Well, I will offer a different option, given your stated purposes to teach new shooters.

An air pistol.

It offers some distinct advantages:
- lower cost, both in initial purchase, and to operate (although a quality air pistol, can still be a bit pricey).
- less intimidating to new shooters.
- you can set up a safe shooting range in a basement or garage, and avoid the noise, crowds, cost, and travel time to the range.
- Very little recoil and noise, so the new shooter can work on the fundamentals, especially trigger control, without worries about developing bad habits caused by flinching/anticipating recoil.
- Because you can work at home, the student can work on the fundamentals, much more often, and it's like dry fire, but with objective measure/feedback.

After some time with a quality airgun, the student will have built good habits and be ready to shoot some light 9mm loads.

The only thing that might be better, but significantly more expensive, is a program with a real gun, that fires a laser, with targets that register the laser shots. My last LE academy had 2+ hours a day of work with the old "Beamhit" system on our P229s, for one week before we fired a live round. After more than 10 hours of "dry fire," everyone could easily pass the qual course the first day of live fire, and with most shooting well over 90%, and we didn't lose a single person to problems with weapons quals.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post