SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Advice on a compact carry gun (recurrent subject I know)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on a compact carry gun (recurrent subject I know) Login/Join 
posted
Been a long time shooter and carrier, and have always believed in the " mouse gun in your pocket beats the 45 left at home" philosophy. For many years I have carried various "mouse guns" ( 22/25/32/380) which I shoot pretty well. My "take out the trash and walk the dog" gun is generally a 22 or 25 that easily slips into a pocket ( with spare ammo of course)
Well based on a number of factors I am concluding that perhaps small caliber pistols are giving me too much of a false sense of security, and am considering moving up to a small service caliber carry gun. While some will argue ( please let's no go there) that the proper response is always a full size gun and two spare magazines, I am considering the following options and would be open to other suggestions as well:
Glock 43
Sig 938
S&W Shield
I know most of these tip into the too big for a pocket category, but basically if I could get into a larger caliber while still maintaining a small size and perhaps an easy slip in the waistband holster with relative ease of concealment it would be a good step.
Opinions?
Action type doesn't concern me as I can hold my own with just about any action type and routinely shoot glocks revolvers and 1911's with no issues with controls

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of your posted choices: Glock 43. second choice: S&W.
Just not a fan of cocked/locked smaller guns.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Put on an extra 200 pounds and you won't even notice a full size pistol on your waist.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Shield and liked it but not as much as my Glock 43. I am used to the Glock trigger and like how they finally incorporated a larger "beavertail"/tang,for the lack of a better term. It fits my hands better than a standard Glock as many have had problems with slide bite. I like the 938 but am not a fan of a 1911 style pistol, as I am just not comfortable carrying it cocked and locked. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I carry a 938 in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster daily.

I don't even really notice it is there, and with 7+1 9mm hollowpoint, I feel pretty well set up.

I don't carry a spare mag, as I have a 229 with three mags in my sling bag if it's to be a longer social event.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I tried a G43 and we just did not like each other. I've now got a S&W shield .45 and absolutely love it. It has same capacity as the g43 but recoil is a little less snappy for me and it's fun to shoot and shoots well. I got the version with the safety I've never liked carrying striker fired and it's easy to manipulate once you get the muscle memory down you forget all about it. That's personal preference of course I imagine the non safety models sell better.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at the m&pc, and Glock 26 .. in waistband not too much difference than the shield etc, lots more rounds

Posts: 661 | Location: The realm of Texas | Registered: February 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mhughes:
Look at the m&pc, and Glock 26 .. in waistband not too much difference than the shield etc, lots more rounds

+1. Although the shield is much thinner than the 26, the shield has a bit longer grip than the 43 and 26, so depending on where you carry, it may seem like the bigger gun to conceal.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
For simplicity's sake, I would go with either the Shield or the Glock 43.

If you like 1911's and shoot them frequently, the 938 might be the better option since flicking the safety off would be second nature.

I have a P239 that I keep going back to as my primary carry pistol. It is light weight, slim, and easily conceals in a Milt Sparks VM2 or Galco shoulder rig. (I drive alot, so the shoulder rig is easier to access than is the IWB holster)

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The Shield is the better & softer shooter bewteen it and the G43. I prefer Single action pistols to be larger especialy their controls and would have concerns about the ability to disengage the safety on the 938 under stress. If I feel the need to pocket carry, its generally with a J-Frame Airweight and my Compact carry requirements are usually accomplished with a M&P Compact or Hk P2kSk.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
For me the P938 is a bit too big for pocket carry, but makes a fine IWB carry with a good holster. For pocket carry or IWB (with the seven round magazine) the P238 (.380) works well and using Lehigh "Xtreme Penetrator" 90 grain solid copper bullets gives penetration about the same as a good 9mm (L) with JHP ammo.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest a Glock 26 based on my positive experiences with one. Shoots (for me) almost as well as its bigger cousins the 19 and 17.

Perhaps a bit of a dark-horse choice next: something on the order of a CCO-sized 1911? Carries easy IWB, the shorter, Officers-frame grip hides a bit better, etc. I'm a few months in with a Dan Wesson CCO and I'm really liking it. For me, this is as "small" as I'd go in the 1911 arena.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
To captain127

You are embarking on that vision quest all gun carriers go on. Some find their ideal pistol right off the bat, some go for years and many pistols.

Good luck, do consider the Walther PPS, either version.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Glock 26 . I carry one every day.
I think that you need to find a holster that is comfortable for daily use.
I am in sales and service line of work and use an inside the waist holster. I am in the truck
For an average of 250 miles a day. Most days the Glock and holster just blend in and do not bother me at all.

Jsjac

Posts: 402 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shield 9mm all day long. Get a good IWB holster and you will forget it is even there.

Posts: 4652 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both the Shield and G43 are excellent choices and you likely wouldn't go wrong with either one. I'd shoot both and see which one you like more and what you can afford (I think the G43 runs a hundred more than the Shield?). Other options include the Ruger LC9 and the Sig P290 and it may be worth giving them a feel.

I've mentioned in other posts that I have a P225A1 when I need to put effort into concealed carry but it might be a bit bigger then what you are looking for.

All that said, I can agree with some other posters that for not much wider than a G43 the G26 is an excellent choice if you can carry it comfortably.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
Try the WALTHER PPS next to the shield and G43. Even though I have more than a dozen Glocks, the WALTHER for it's size shoots like a full size gun.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been a long time since I have done IWB comfortably, and anything as thick as a regular glock is an o go

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
CZ82.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have carried a Kahr PM9 in my right front pocket for eight years now.
I shoot it frequently and find it to be accurate and reliable.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post