SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Grease or Oil - how do you lube your 1911
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grease or Oil - how do you lube your 1911 Login/Join 
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
TW25 on the frame rails & barrel hood

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've always used grease on 1911 rails as well as other areas such as the barrel and bushing. Slip 2000 is a good option. Action and other such areas gets a tiny drop of light oil.

A tight fitting 1911 will strip away all excess and leave a very thin film of grease on the rubbing parts. I put the grease on, rack the slide 5 or 6 times and then wipe off anything lube that's been squeezed out. Seems to work fine.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
Generally the 1911's get oil, light oil at that.

I used grease due to Flork and Bruce Gray and it was just fine on my SIG 1911 and my Kimbers. I bought a couple of STIs and grease was a problem. Way too thick for how tight they are. My Dan Wesson VBOB is the same story. So oil for 1911's and wheel guns and grease for my SIGS.

Your Dan Wesson chokes up with grease? I used to have a valor that didnt mind grease at all. That's odd.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Militec-1 or FP-10 period.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I've been using Breakfree CLP on my 1911's for over 30 years, no problems.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a light lithium grease on the rails and barrel bushing area and oil everywhere else. I clean and lube after shooting each time and rack the slide a few times to distribute the grease evenly and remove any excess.

Posts: 385 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
I use white lithium grease or this stuff:

Permatex brake grease

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I use RIG on all my autoloaders.

Posts: 5615 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A high quality liquid lube for the past 50 years. Breakfree CLP or WC Ultima-Lube II.

Just like Bill Wilson recommends in his 1911 Auto Maintenance Manual. This ain't rocket science.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
*Rand CLP oil on rotating parts.
*Rig Stainless grease on stainless frame/slide
*Lucas Marine grease on aluminum frame/steel slide
*Rand CLP or Lucas Marine grease on carbon steel frame/slide
G-96 sprayed on a rag and pistols wiped down for quick clean and protection.

At the range I always carry a bottle of LP lube (LSA 0-158, MIL-L-46000C) for those 'just in case' moments.

I don't think the Rig Stainless grease is available anymore.
Don't know if it is the same stuff but it does appear Birchwood Casey now makes Rig Stainless grease.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I use high temperature wheel bearing grease on slides, barrels, locking lugs and recoil springs, but oil on pins and pivots.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I've used Wilson Combat Ultima-Lube on SIGs, 1911s, and most anything else. Lately, I've been using Militec-1.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Lately I have been using grease on my 1911's, shooters choice FP10. When I forget my grease in my range bag, I use CLP.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Grease, most of the time.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Hurley's Gold (oil, grease, dry lube all in one) on all my guns

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I'm in the "If it slides, it needs grease & if it rotates, it needs oil" club.

I use a very thin coat of Slip EWG on frame & slide rails. I rub a small amount of it on a pipe cleaner, then run the pipe cleaner along the rails. I also put a very thin coating on the barrel & locking lugs.

The other moving parts get some Slip EWL applied with a needle oiler.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Slide Glide on the rails, Weapon Shield on everything else that needs to be slick.

Grease works fine on my CBOB.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I use grease on the rails of all my aluminum framed pistols. Only oil on my 1911's, and Ruger MKII.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was always taught; things that slide use grease and things that spin use oil. So, I use grease on all my firearms and a lot of grease on the rails especially when I have an alloy frame and a steel slide. Never had any issues in decades of using my firearms.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post