SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Colt Special Combat (Or other two tone 1911)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt Special Combat (Or other two tone 1911) Login/Join 
posted
Anybody own one? How do they compare to say a Dan Wesson. Any "rough edges" that need to be worked on or good to go out of the box?
This is what I'm looking at right now. Currently ship with G10, not wood.
Any other recommendations for a black slide on stainless frame 1911 that is good quality. I have seen the BRN 1911, but looking for a little more budget friendly option.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
It has more options now than the original early model. I used to desire the early variant of this two tone. All I see of this model is the addition of beaver tail grip safety, extended thumb safety, mag funnel and now a adjustable rear sight. Sorry but its not worth 22 hundred, not even stowed away for decades. What did you ask about DW ?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted a Special Combat but have never been able to save for one. I had a Colt Combat Elite, one of the 1990's models, series 80 and one the enhanced model. I really liked that gun and used it for duty for about 8 years. It really showed its age when I retired it.

When I traded it off, I immediately regretted doing so and said I would get another one. I did not care for the XSE series of Combat Elites and kept a watch out for another 1990's model.

I finally found an unfired one at the Berea gun show and was able to trade a nearly new Glock 17 and 19 for it.

I think 2 tone 1911's are classy and prefer the Colts over anything else. (In the production line). Ed Brown, Wilson Combat or Nighthawk guns are also very nice n a step or two up.

To be fair, Dan Wesson is on brand that I have never owned so can't say anything about them. But I have owned a lot of Colts and with the exception of a Commander, have been very happy.

And the only thing better looking than a 1911 is a two tone 1911

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
I find Dan Wesson to be a cut above the Colt Custom Shop. And for the price the Special Combat Government is not worth it. It's about $1000 overpriced.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a $2199 list price, I’d be spending extra and getting an Ed brown. That being said I bought a new colt competition 9mm 2 years ago in s/s, it has no sharp edges. The finish is excellent and the fit is also. An Ed brown it is not. Trigger is crisp but 5lbs, has some up and down play if you jiggle it and the grip safety has some side to side slop. Barrel bushing fit and slide to frame fit rival my wilson combat.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I've owned two Colt SCGs and two Dan Wessons. The barrel/slide/frame frame fit of the Dan Wessons was far more precise than on the more expensive SCGs. Even the Custom Shop Colts I had displayed the well known Colt "Battle rattle" fit of barrel/slide/frame. The DW and SCG triggers were comparable, with the edge to the DWs. If I'd known DW was coming out with a PM-38, I would never have purchased the last Colt SCG 38 Super I had. While I might buy another DW sometime, I don't see anymore Colt SCGs in my future. The only thing that might make the Colt SCGs more desirable to some, is that they bear the vaunted ~*~COLT~*~ name. And it seems to a lot of potential buyers that since they are Colts, they just must be better in all ways than any other 1911 type pistol ever created by man. Some true believers will buy only Colts. No, I don't have stock in Dan Wesson, I've just owned quite a few Colts since the early '70s. Enough to know that some are decent guns, others I owned; Dismal.....ymmv

BTW, The several regular production,non-Colt Custom Shop,Colts I've owned since about 2000 or so have been,with two exceptions, good guns. Only two dismal ones in the bunch. IMHO, the current regular production Colts are worth the price of admission.

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dan Wesson is what I have and know, why I mentioned them. I would like a similar quality "feel" as this is to be a gift. Recipient is one of the Colt rules all types mentioned above.
The Special Combat is the most traditionally styled two tone Colt I could find online. I have found them for ~$1500, so on par with my Dan Wessons. I have also found a similar Ed Brown for ~2k. Sounds like it's the better buy in every sense except for lacking that damn horse.

So, having never owned a Colt myself, I guess I need to know if the SCs are worth $1500...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I believe $1,500 is closer to what it should be. I bought a early production Gov. Model years back for under $500. It was among the first made in all stainless steel and, the quality of machining, fit and finish were definately above the average Gov. Model. Around $475. for that one. In the same time frame Colts 1991 A1 came to market with plastic trigger and MSH, some sort of parked finish for a tad over $400. A decade later the 1991 A1 has doubled in price, not value. Those very nice stainless .38 Super Gov. Models were being saled at $750.00 and were not moving. Even the retro 1918 or whatever they call them are not original WW1 era guns but sellers sure ask big money on them. Colt hasn't gone way over board to build the Combat Model so that is why I dont feel it breaks the 2k mark. It does seem the beavertail safety is better fitted than Colts early attempt at installs. The gun is not bad. Whoever recieves it will like it.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I have direct experience with a Colt Special Combat, Colt Custom Shop M45A1 and a Dan Wesson Vigil. My Special Combat is a Colt Custom Shop pistol (as all SCs are). It's a 1990's era product. With that in mind it is essentially a mass produced assembly line 1911 pistol with extra features (Mag Well, Beaver Tail Grip Safety, Ambidextrous Thumb Safeties, Bomar Sight, and a Hard Chrome finish) Beyond that it is NOT fitted to the degree that any one should expect coming from any "Custom Shop" Colt's or otherwise. Further, my example had numerous issues which necessitated no less than three (3) trips back to Colt to be addressed. They finally got it ironed out, but it did NOTHING for my confidence in Colt's QC. I will say however, while not having a particularly good slide/frame/barrel fit, it does shoot quite well. I have actually done some of my best shooting with that pistol. Not to mention it introduced me to the SIG P220 which I purchased while My Colt was in Conn. for warranty work.

Years later, I purchased a Custom Shop M45A1. This one is a completely different animal. It's almost like the Colt Custom Shop woke up and started building actual "Custom" guns. Slide/frame/barrel lock-up is tight as a vault. Factory test target (15yd.) is literally one hole. Grip checkering is impeccable overall fit & finish is everything I would expect from any custom maker... Except one thing... The front tritium was DOA. Called up Colt and they sent out a replacement free of charge.

My latest 1911 is Dan Wesson's Vigil Commander in 9mm. It has the duty coated slide and alloy frame. This pistol is absolutely fantastic. The fit, & finish are as close as one could expect to a custom gun. The slide/frame/barrel lockup is tight as a drum. The frame checkering is 25 lpi. which I consider the perfect balance of grip and comfort. all sharp edges on the frame and slide are very nicely beveled. The only minor skin biters are the front of the sights (Heinie copies) and just a hint of sharpness on the side edges of the grip safety. The trigger is like breaking glass and the thumb safety snicks on & off with a perfect snap in both directions. Being a 9mm, it has an AWESOME barrel crown which is perfectly flush to the heavy EGW bushing. Also, the Dan Wesson line is famous for their lack of MIM or cast internals, so I'm confident that outstanding trigger will last. One thing to point out regarding DW. Their Duty Coat black finish is very durable in normal daily usage, but some solvents and even scotch tape can remove the beautiful satin sheen, It won't remove the black coloring, but that satin sheen can be seriously damaged if using the wrong cleaners, lubes. It was discussed in detail over on 1911Forum.

Which one to buy? IMO, the Colts will always have long term value and I suspect their Custom Shop is producing better guns than ever these days. They're sort of like Randall knives. They are a part of Americana in the world of guns.

Dan Wesson is more like Chris Reeve knives. They may not have Colt's history but they have their production and QC down pat. They are excellent pistols on par with anything out there.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I have owned over two dozen Colt commercial 1911's over the last ~35 years (pre Series 70, Series 70, Series 80, 1991A1's and post 2000). Finish quality (and sometimes reliability) has been all over the map with most being average at best. Like member David Lee, I currently own an early 1985 Series 80 stainless which I judge to be one of the better examples I've had in my possession. However, it isn't without it's own cosmetic flaws. While I haven't personally examined a new Special Combat, I have heard Colt quality has greatly improved since the dark days of the mid-80's to mid-90's. Still, before buying a new commercial Colt 1911, I would reserve the option to reject any pistol that doesn't pass muster. I further agree with the flock on price. At $2,200 MSRP I'd be looking at Dan Wesson or even Ed Brown. Good luck.

1985 Colt Government stainless & 2017 Ed Brown Custom

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I love the marque and the look of the Special Combat but DW is WAY more quality for the price.

I went cash in hand to a local shop intending to buy a Colt Government model and it felt like a piece of crap next to the DW next to it. I walked out with the DW.

Hopefully I'll find a better-quality Colt at some point.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Dan Wesson is what I have and know, why I mentioned them. I would like a similar quality "feel" as this is to be a gift. Recipient is one of the Colt rules all types mentioned above.
The Special Combat is the most traditionally styled two tone Colt I could find online. I have found them for ~$1500, so on par with my Dan Wessons. I have also found a similar Ed Brown for ~2k. Sounds like it's the better buy in every sense except for lacking that damn horse.

So, having never owned a Colt myself, I guess I need to know if the SCs are worth $1500...

Spend the extra $500 and go with the Ed Brown. DW or Colt don't hold a candle to an Ed Brown and the recipient will forget all about that little horse not being on the slide the moment he/she handles and shoots the Ed Brown.

Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:

<insert drool-worthy pic here>

Love those grips on your EB!!!

And to stay on topic, I sent my Colt Wiley Clapp model off to Colt Custom for some work. My stock DW Valor is still my favorite between the two.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Christmas shopping is now done, for one person. Took the collective's opinion and went with the Ed Brown. Black Friday narrowed the gap to $350 difference from the colt, so I bought 2. Might as well get me a little something too.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I bought 2. Might as well get me a little something too.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Christmas shopping is now done, for one person. Took the collective's opinion and went with the Ed Brown. Black Friday narrowed the gap to $350 difference from the colt, so I bought 2. Might as well get me a little something too.

You made a wise choice and will be VERY happy! Next month you'll be posting, asking us all about Wilson Combats......1911's are a very slippery slope! hehehe.....I prefer my Ed Brown over my Wilson Combat....btw.

posted Hide Post
Don't know about next month, but I have definitely slid a little ways down this particular slope. I think these are around #15 for me.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't know about next month, but I have definitely slid a little ways down this particular slope. I think these are around #15 for me.

Have you shot it yet? What are your thoughts on the Ed Brown once you've handled it and shot it?

posted Hide Post
Love the slide to frame fit. Feels like it's rolling on ball bearings. Just picked it up this AM and likely won't get to shoot it for a while. My range is outdoor and it's gonna be after Christmas before I get a day off. I have a magwell and G10s on order for mine. That arched MSH is just not for me. Trigger is stupid nice with how smooth and clean it breaks. Probably not my last Brown and now I want to see what makes people think a Wilson is a higher tier gun.

It is my first adjustable sight pistol, so I might have some adjustment there. Black on black is kinda hard for my eyes to dustinguish, so I might try a gold dot or fiber front. Will shoot it before I decide on that. Might change my mind in bright light versus the fluorescent lights in the LGS.

posted Hide Post
I was a die hard Colt only guy for decades. Carried a Commander for years as my primary, or a BHP if in a country where 45 ACP was police/military only. Had a few other Colt 1911s.
Recently saw a full size 1911 (70 series) with blue slide and lightweight frame, frame was OD. Loved it, bought it. The anodizing started coming off the very first day just from handling, never fired it. Called Colt, they said their warranty did not apply to finishes.
Good by Colt. Gun frame to CCR who have figured out how to make a gun OD in color.
I will never buy a Colt manufactured product again-ever. Talk about lousy QC and CS...........

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post