SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Here's your Dot Torture Drill kit
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here's your Dot Torture Drill kit Login/Join 
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I don't get to shoot a whole lot so I'm going to give this a go the next time I do go.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the dot torture drill and I think my best is like 47 or 48.

It's really easy to get complacent when running this drill thinking that it is really easy because of the distance but all it takes is one little lack of focus and your done and you will pull or push a shot. The other thing I find is that even though it is not timed I tend to rush myself at times.

When I screw this one up it is usually on the dots that should be the easiest.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
When I screw this one up it is usually on the dots that should be the easiest.

Truer words have never been spoken. It is the equivalent of "I was too close to miss" on a complete miss.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
This is one of my favorite drills to shoot and I shoot it often. Focus on proper technique and accuracy.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to the DA/SA version.

Dot Torture TDA

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I don't have a lot of opportunities to shoot outside and practice drawing my pistol and live fire. Is there a recommended way to adapt this to an indoor range?

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:
I don't have a lot of opportunities to shoot outside and practice drawing my pistol and live fire. Is there a recommended way to adapt this to an indoor range?

All of your draw stages start from the high ready, and press the gun out. Think of it like this. The draw is broken down into two pieces. The draw stroke to which the hand goes down to the holster, obtains the master grip and raises the gun up to the hands meet. The shooting stroke or presentation is from where the hands meet to the gun is fully extended. Most ranges that have limitations on shooting from the draw, have no written documentation about pressing the gun out from the high ready.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:

All of your draw stages start from the high ready, and press the gun out. Think of it like this. The draw is broken down into two pieces. The draw stroke to which the hand goes down to the holster, obtains the master grip and raises the gun up to the hands meet. The shooting stroke or presentation is from where the hands meet to the gun is fully extended. Most ranges that have limitations on shooting from the draw, have no written documentation about pressing the gun out from the high ready.

Thanks, I'm going to try this Saturday at the range.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
No problem!

www.opspectraining.com

The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I shot this twice this morning with my G43. After some dry fire and a few other drills, I managed a 48 on my second try....it's amazing what happens when you focus on the front sight and allow the shot to happen! It's also predictable when you lose focus or try to force a shot, there is no such thing as too close to miss!

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Good job, Phred!

www.opspectraining.com

The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Thanks, although it is humbling to miss from 3 yards. I could call them though, I lost focus on the sight and tried to break the shot "now!"....miss

There was another dot drill I had several years ago. Each "target" was a series of three dots in a triangle pattern, just close enough together for a bullet to break all three dots if your shot was perfect. If you were off just a little, the bullet would only break one or two of the dots. The whole thing consisted of ten separate, three dot "targets" 8.5x11" paper. Each PDF was specific to caliber. I've since lost that PDF. Does anyone have that or know where it can be found?

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
What size paper is that target on

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
What size paper is that target on

It's just letter size. 8 1/2" x 11"

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Dang I'd be lucky to see the paper at 3 yards Big Grin

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Essentially the 3 yard drill is the start of the shooting part of qualifying for NRA Pistol Instructor. Not so easy even when using a 22.
. . . and then ending with required small group on blank page at 45 feet. Indeed, the latter is more easy after shooting at shorter ranges.
Many also find that not having a black bullseye on target helps - front sight centered and tendency to catch the black gone.
J L is spot on.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
I fully agree with Jerry's first post in this thread.

I've been shooting this drill at work for the last two weeks. Crazy as it sounds and looks, this drill is not very easy. I consider myself a decent to good shooter and the best I've managed is 39 out of 50. I've shot it 8 times at four yards and my average is only 36 out of 50. I keep my targets so I can see where I need improvement.

It's really interesting to see where you excel, and even more where you suck. For me, dots #5, 8, and 9 are where I drop most of my points.

Prepping the trigger / trigger control are the key, along with properly aligning your front sight.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10454 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
100% Sea-Moose
posted Hide Post
I printed out 5 copies of this drill for range time today.....even at 3yds, it's quite humbling. I am usually a great shot.....but after doing this today I realize I need a lot of work to be effective in anything other than target shooting

Posts: 301 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redrider1596
posted Hide Post
Great drills both the "Dot Torture" posted and "The Dots" from Ben Stoeger that was mentioned.

Another good one to work in is the 700 point aggregate.

https://pistol-training.com/drills/the-humbler

Posts: 321 | Location: Rio Grande Valley, TX | Registered: March 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Here is the target I referenced in my earlier post:
http://www.geeksfirearms.com/T...9mm-3-dot-target.pdf

10 shots fired, one at each cluster of three dots. Score 1point if you hit one dot. Score 2 points if you hit two dots. Score 4 points if you hit all three dots. Maximum possible score is 40 points.