SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Here's your Dot Torture Drill kit
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here's your Dot Torture Drill kit Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
http://www.guns.com/review/tra...nd-push-your-limits/

5/04/17| by Eve Flanigan

"The 50-round Dot Torture drill is a great test of general marksmanship. It can prove encouraging or humbling for anyone, depending on the distance chosen for firing. It’s a drill I use to re-focus after I’ve been away from the range for a while, as it guides you through all the basics, multiple times, and gives clear feedback about where any deficits lie."

Here's the downloadable target:

http://pistol-training.com/wp-...t-torture-target.pdf

The drill requires ten two-inch circles, or “dots,” numbered in succession. From a minimum of three yards, or five to seven if you’re confident in the basics, fire according to this sequence:

•Dot 1 – Draw and fire one string of five rounds. One hole is the goal.
•Dot 2 – Draw and fire one shot, then holster. Repeat four times on Dot 2.
•Dots 3 and 4 – Draw and fire one shot on Dot 3, then one shot on Dot 4, holster, and repeat three times.
•Dot 5 – Draw and five rounds, strong hand only.
•Dots 6 & 7 – Draw and fire two shots on Dot 6, then two on Dot 7, holster, and repeat four times.
•Dot 8 – From ready or retention position, fire five shots, weak hand only.
•Dots 9 & 10 – Draw and fire one shot on Dot 9, speed reload, fire one shot on Dot 10, holster and repeat three times.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I don't like the fact that there is no time pressure on this drill. I much prefer the Ben Stoeger/Frank Garcia dot drill.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
I don't like the fact that there is no time pressure on this drill. I much prefer the Ben Stoeger/Frank Garcia dot drill.

agreed. Marksmanship tests at 3 yards with no time limits is a little silly. We were cutting playing cards in half that were placed sideways through a slit in the backer from 25'

I am going to print some of these out and play with them using our shot timer.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:

agreed. Marksmanship tests at 3 yards with no time limits is a little silly. We were cutting playing cards in half that were placed sideways through a slit in the backer from 25'

I am going to print some of these out and play with them using our shot timer.

I'm yet to clear this one...

http://benstoeger.com/index.ph...category/90-the-dots

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm yet to clear this one...

http://benstoeger.com/index.ph...category/90-the-dots

If the rain holds off, I'm going to try that this weekend!

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
Marksmanship tests at 3 yards with no time limits is a little silly..

I will really have to disagree. This is a technical marksmanship drill. It focuses heavily on good trigger control and driving the sights.
Most people overvalue their trigger control skills. Or they believe that combat marksmanship is the end all be all. You hear people speak of "minute of man" or an eight inch circle being the prize. When under stress, most hits in the outer rings of an eight inch circle is a miss. Once the target starts moving, and you are moving, the good hits of an eight inch circle are now a miss. Misses don't win anything.

If a shooter can't perform basic tasks at 100 percent accuracy standards at three yards, they aren't going to perform well at 7 or 10. Technical marksmanship is what wins fights and trophies. Otherwise, hope to be lucky. Good technical marksmanship promotes performance at speed. Technical marksmanship goes hand in hand with speed shooting. A sloppy shooter can go fast, but never be accurate when they need it. A good technical shooter can always learn to speed up.

Once a shooter can shoot this at 100 percent, sure back on out. Add times. But, just don't be too liberal on the accuracy standards. At 7 and 10, I usually shoot the drills into a 3x5 card and I hold myself to that standard. Once you set an time standard at 7 or 10 and you can cleanly perform it, either lower the time, or back it out. If you can't make the standard, set a standard that you can. If that standard is too great, dry fire.

A competitor who isn't firm in technical marksmanship, will always be beaten by one that is. This drill from three yards is a great gut check to throw into your training from time to time. I'll probably shoot it tomorrow when I go to the range. Thanks to the OP for posting it.

The three yard line has a lot of value to a well rounded shooter. The problem with the three yard line is that it just isn't cool or tactical enough.

I train at the three yard line on occasion with tight accuracy standards. A lot of the time, I will have a one inch circle that I won't accept moving back until I can put five rounds into it and make them all touch. No time limit. But, I am a weird-o. I start EVERY training session with technical marksmanship, and I end EVERY training session with technical marksmanship. Even if I have been training draws from the 100, or sub-1.8 bill drills from the 10. I do it with tactical team guys that I train. We even shoot bullseye. We start every training session with technical marksmanship, and end it with technical marksmanship.

I've seen shooters with impressive resumes come into a class, and I put them at the three yard line, and they fall apart because they won't slow down to make hits. Or they have always gotten away with being sloppy. I can and have taken shooters to other yard lines, or added times at the three. I always end up with a much better overall shooter starting with stuff like this, or three yard bump drills with no time.

Huge fan of the three yard line and no time limits. It builds confidence to move back. Or it gives you things to work on in dry fire.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I with jljones, start by shooting the target perfectly then add time and distance as your skills improve. I've had my butt kicked by an untimed dot torture target.

What good is fast if you miss?

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
I with jljones, start by shooting the target perfectly then add time and distance as your skills improve. I've had my butt kicked by an untimed dot torture target.

What good is fast if you miss?

I agree with jjones. Sounds easy, but this is a little tougher than it looks! I used to shoot it may have to give it another try . Smile

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2767 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Everything jljones said is absolutely correct.

Dismissing repetitive accuracy and consistency even during static practice is foolish.

When I shoot Dot torture, which I do frequently, I use a timer. I apply times from other drills to make it more realistic. I can usually clear dot tortures at 7 yards easily under a timer. But it all starts with non-timed accuracy at shorter distances.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
Another on board with JLJ. in reference to it being untimed, this is ONE drill; not the only drill. It's intention is to build technical marksmanship and trigger control.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
This is one skill to practice. And an important one.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think it looks dumb? Think it looks easy? Try it.

Start at three yards with no timer. If you clean it, move back to five yards or add some moderate time constraints. Three yards with no timer is a starting point on Dot Torture.

We're issuing new holsters this week, so we are using it at our department range as a transitional course between draw and fire one and two type drills to refocus the shooter on marksmanship skills. Looking for a fast and aggressive draw and then good fundamental marksmanship.

So far this week we've had five people clean it. Out of over 50.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
Agree absolutely with all jljones said above!

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I start EVERY training session with technical marksmanship, and I end EVERY training session with technical marksmanship.

How about that?

Maybe I need to go back to the way I used to train, back when I was still shooting revolvers. I'd start with .22 cal. out at the end of the lane, for warm-up. Once I was warmed-up, I'd switch to the .357 Mag in single-action. I'd probably spend about the same amount of time with each. Then, at the end of the session, I'd put a silhouette up at ±7 yards, draw, and rapid-fire at COM a couple times.

Here's the interesting thing: I could put five of six rounds inside the "9" ring consistently. That was shooting double-action, with full-load .357 Mag defensive rounds.

I'm not so sure I could do that, today, with a 9mm auto-loader.

I've been wondering why. Maybe I need to change my regimen.

Thanks for the post, RichardC! I'll have to give that a try.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Newf:
Agree absolutely with all jljones said above!

and another supporter for jljones. I don't think doing without a timer is "silly" either. I printed these out.

I plan on starting at 3 yards and keeping increasing the distance until I start to miss.

Posts: 148 | Registered: June 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This not a drill. I repeat, this is not a drill. It is what it says...TORTURE! Prepare to to be humbled! I've shot this with a few of my police buddies who use it regularly in their department.
I should really start practicing this privately so that I can stop humilating myself.

Posts: 167 | Location: Central Florida-Behind the orange safety cones | Registered: July 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better lucky than good
Picture of r2mach1
posted Hide Post
So here is a stoopid question...when doing a 3yd drill do you pace of 3yds and put your feet on the line? Then extend your arms to where the gun is at 7ft away +/- or take a 1/2 step back to where the muzzle is at the 3yd lane?

Class III FFL/SOT firearms dealer

Posts: 3645 | Location: Fort Morgan, Colorado | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting this target for the last few weeks, and I'm not gonna lie, it's tough!! I usually start at 3 yards, and then work my way back once I can shoot it 100%....which is tough because I SUCK with my weak hand...and I'm not so hot one-handed strong-hand, either. But it's a good challenge, and I've seen improvement in my performance at our weekly pistol league shoots (which is more fast-paced, steel shooting) as a result. The skills do transfer.

Posts: 8569 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bmo
posted Hide Post
I use the dot torture in dry fire with my RMR. Combined with the dry fire mag I got recently, it's really good practice imo, especially on the RMR. Doing the dot torture live can be humbling if you're not doing your part. No one said you can't add time or distance pressure either. Great all around drill.

Posts: 2653 | Registered: November 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post