SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    20 years or more
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 years or more Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I need to upload a photo of it, but in 1998 I picked up a late 50's Colt Detective Special as my new EDC. It has long ago been replaced in the rotation but I won't be selling that little gem. I liked it so much that when I ran across a great deal on one around 5 years later grabbed it as well.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's quite an event to undertake together, I hope you still have it. Cool
quote:
Originally posted by Michael J. Shannon:
That is one beautiful S&W! My first handgun dates back to my college days at Michigan State U where I
purchased a Colt .357 from a campus policeman. That was 1957. I carried that Colt as a city police officer, and later as a US Secret Service agent. It served me well in Cleveland, Ohio, where a counterfeiter, armed with a S&W Combat Magnum, shot
it out with me and another agent. Little did we know he was on the FBI most wanted list. My Colt
won over his S&W.

Posts: 11 | Location: KY | Registered: May 02, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Got my first handgun at 11, so 40 years for that one.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
Got out of the ARMY (the first time) in fal of 99. Got a well used Beretta 92F around Thanksgiving time because that’s what I had on active duty and because- nostalgia. I still have it and shoot it semi regularly.

Just two years shy of my 20th anniversary since graduating the Police Academy. My graduation present from my adopted Dad and Brothers was (is) a 2 1/2” pinned and recessed 66-2. I still carry and shoot it too. I have all but one of every duty gun I’ve carried as a LEO. They will probably not upgrade again before I retire and they’ll give me my current G17 gen5.

Posts: 1620 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
I have 2. Smith & Wesson 66 with 2 1/2 in China barrel purchased in 1985, and JJ code SIG P225 purchased in 1991. Both are shot quasi-regularly. The Smith is one of the guns on my California CCW. I always use the 225 to qualify for my Nevada CCW.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
The gen 3 Glock 23 was the workhorse for the longest time. I rediscovered my Gen 2 Glock 19. The trigger felt “really heavy”. Quick inspection and disassembly- it’s got a NY trigger spring. Ordered 3.5 disconnect and 6 lb trigger spring.
Needs some range time with upgrades.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt Government .45 I bought new in 1980. I knew nothing about guns, wanted one for home defense and this is what the guy at the gun store sold me. It wa my only firearm for the next 30 years. About ten years ago I got more interested in firearms, learned a lot, acquired others better suited to particular purposes and it has not seen much daylight since then. Need to do something about that. Thanks for this thread.

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
Still carry my HK USPc .40 that I purchased in 1999. Superb firearm.

Posts: 1050 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigFan:
I’ve had my Ruger P89 since I bought it new in 1993 (it replaced a P-85)

This. My decocker P89 is newer (to me) than 20 years, but I love it.

My W. German P226 is the oldest I've got.

Happiness is a warm gun.

Posts: 444 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a junior in high school, my father felt that I was old enough to shoot his father's Colt 1908 pocket hammerless. This was in 1969. When my parents moved in 1980, they did not have room for the gun rack, and I was gifted two of my grandfather's guns, the Colt 1908 and a beautiful .410 double barrel shotgun that Pops won as a prize in a turkey shoot. The shotgun is now in the custody of my brother's grandson.

The first pistol I ever bought was a Colt Government .380 that I bought in 1990 and I still have.

When I married in 1986, my wife came with her father's S&W Registered Magnum and a S&W 36.

So I have had some for over 30 years.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
I bought my Browning Hi-power in 1970. NIB for $110...+$3 tax.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neex:
quote:
Originally posted by SigFan:
I’ve had my Ruger P89 since I bought it new in 1993 (it replaced a P-85)

This. My decocker P89 is newer (to me) than 20 years, but I love it.

My W. German P226 is the oldest I've got.

That P226 is impeccable. Actually, they both are. Very nice! May I ask why you swapped out the takedown lever?

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With reference to AR3T3 post; yes indeed I have kept that Colt .357. After JFK assassination the
USSS issued us S&W model 19's, and that was what I. carried for the rest of my 28 year USSS career.
Around the time I retired, the USSS went to Sig
226 and 229's. I started collecting Sigs following
my retirement. Now I understand the USSS is going
to three different Glock models.

I will never part with that Colt .357!

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger Security Six 357 Mag 6" barrel, bought NIB 1981 still looks great.

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, my very early production two-pin gen3 G17. I purchased this pistol February 14, 1999 and it has been my house gun ever since.

First loaded with CorBon 115 grain +P+, then in 2001, switched to Federal Hydra-Shok 124 grain +P+, and from 2008 to the present, loaded with Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P. My trusted friend.

Shown here in a pic from 2006, wearing a Surefire X-200B and the old style +2 toeplate. It now wears an X-300 and the newer style +2 toeplate.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107257 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Now that's true love! Wink Man I love that pic! Replace the G17 with a Beretta M9 and you have MY "Holy Trinity" of handguns.

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My .22 Peacemaker, from 1972; a high school graduation present from my uncle. He gifted all the male cousins graduating HS with a firearm. Others, that I remember, got a Ruger Single Six, Winchester 94.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have 1991 Glock 17 I paid $441.36 still shoots good, I don't pull her out very often anymore though.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first pistol that I purchased myself as an adult was a Browning MK II Hi-Power. I bought it as a 21 year-old E4 in the Navy in November of '85. I will never sell it, but after having fired somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 rounds thru it, it is semi-retired. I have several "favorites," but this one is Numero Uno.

Posts: 1751 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
That P226 is impeccable. Actually, they both are. Very nice! May I ask why you swapped out the takedown lever?

I didn't put the newer takedown in there--Sig did. Had to send in the gun a while back due to a bizarre issue with the decock function. Long story short, I had to send the gun back in several times, as the issue was apparently not easy to fix. In any event, during one of the visits to NH, the pistol got a complimentary makeover with new springs, upgraded parts, etc., as a courtesy for the hassle of being without the weapon on and off for several months. I didn't expect that, or complain, since they sent the original parts back to me. It's a 1-2 times a year range gun, and I honestly forgot about the takedown being upgraded until I saw your post.

But, yes, thank you, that's my favorite gun I own. I've got the yellow box and everything else except the test target.

Posts: 444 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post