SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Dan Wesson CCO with non DW grips
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dan Wesson CCO with non DW grips Login/Join 
posted
is it appropriate to change my original grips to WC? Do we generally frown upon mixing brands? They feel so much better. And it now looks much more bad ass! Going to try to start carrying this once I get a few hundred more rounds through it.

Dan Wesson CCO by Trevor Gilliam, on Flickr

This message has been edited. Last edited by: whisky22,

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The cross-branding looks a little funny, but function trumps cosmetics any day.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whisky22:
They feel so much better and it now looks bad ass!

I started looking around and I think I found an answer. Big Grin

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it concerns you, you could always try checking out VZ grips and see if they have anything similar without the WC logo. I believe VZ makes WC's grips.

Personally, I wouldn't care, except that I prefer my grips without medallions. Just a preference.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a pair of Larry Davidson Lizard Grips on my DW CCO, they grip very well, very thin, been on my pistol the last seven years. No problems, no issues, look great, I'd buy them again.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t be able to do it to one of my guns. Seems like putting the 5.0 lettering on a V6 to me...like you’re trying to be something it isn’t.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
If it concerns you, you could always try checking out VZ grips and see if they have anything similar without the WC logo. I believe VZ makes WC's grips.

Personally, I wouldn't care, except that I prefer my grips without medallions. Just a preference.

I was able to buy some Wilson starburst grips without medallions for one of my 1911s. Wilson offers them from time to time. (Or at least used to.)

Like these:

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the unfortunate event you actually had to use it to save your life, neither you nor the perp would give a crap about the logo on the grip medallions.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the original grips that came on my CCO; enough so that they're still on the pistol. One of the endearing aesthetic features of the Dan Wesson line is the minimal advertising and writing/rollmarks on the weapon.

Personally, I'd like to see a wilson logo on a wilson pistol.

If it feels good and functions well, however, there's no argument to be made. Go with it.

The starburst pattern is especially attractive, and makes a great gripping surface.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take 'em off. Looks weird. The gun over time will become schizophrenic and this will adversely affect performance. Any number of malfunctions may occur.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I like the original grips that came on my CCO

Yeah, Dan Wesson's Shadow grips are really tough to beat, as far as wood grips go. Grippy where they need to be. Smooth where they don't. And pretty to boot.

The subdued Dan Wesson logo goes well with the rest of the minimalist markings on Dan Wesson 1911s.

I ended up putting a pair on my Valor, which was a big improvement over the original grips. (The only full size thin Shadow grips they offer are for the Guardian, so they're cut for bobtails, but I don't think it looks too weird.)

quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
In the unfortunate event you actually had to use it to save your life, neither you nor the perp would give a crap about the logo on the grip medallions.

True. As I stated in my first post, function trumps cosmetics.

Still, for the 99.99999999999% of the time that you're not actively using that gun to defend your life, it can be nice to have something aesthetically pleasing to admire.

Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
That just makes it a Dan Wilson right?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
That just makes it a Dan Wilson right?

LOL. That means I also have a Wilson Colt then. Smile

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Only two of my pistols sport grips with medallions. Both are 45ACP 1911s and neither is "cross branded" not that what you are doing is wrong at all. Big Grin

These grips I was gifted with were off a custom 2004 PM-9 pistol:

And these I just plain liked on my tweaked Colt as they seemed to marry well with my stippling:

I also normally prefer smooth grips as evidenced by these on my brace of DW 45ACP CCOs:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Please be more descriptive in your title beyond a model of weapon.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Done

posted Hide Post
Here she is back to original. I did feel weird keeping WC grips on it. I’m returning them unused and picking up a few more mags and a holster as penance.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whisky22:
Here she is back to original. I did feel weird keeping WC grips on it. I’m returning them unused and picking up a few more mags and a holster as penance.

Untitled by Trevor Gilliam, on Flickr

Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I had Larry Davidson make me a set of custom grips for my customized Kimber CDP Ultra.

The used Dan Wesson Guardian I bought came with Esmeralda wood grips.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post