SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Are the classic Sig's dead?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are the classic Sig's dead? Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I primarily carry my P938 SAS most of the time and P220 SAS/SP2022 in the winter. I guess I'm weird.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:
Originally posted by 07AMF:
I still favor them. I’m also one of the few that like the DAK trigger. I also prefer iron sights and manual transmissions...

We could be twins.

Might need DNA tests...

Big Grin

Answer this correctly and we probably are twins: Benelli semi auto or Browning Auto 5 shotgun?

Posts: 96 | Location: VA | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To paraphrase that old sayin from the Clinton Era, "Depends on what the meaning of the word 'dead' is." What has happened is that DA/SA went from widely used to niche status. Like a lot of things over time. I know the OP used the term to get a good discussion started, so this isn't to be taken as a criticism.

Low sales volumes, unpopular, out of favor, not widely used by LEA/military, etc. True, but not necessarily dead.

If the SHTF and I only had a revolver, DA/SA or 1911 to defend myself with,it wouldn't bother me in the least. I've owned/carried all of them over a 50 year period. In the end, they are all essentially just bullet launchers. Where the bullets started from makes no difference, as long as you get hits.

Regardless, I've always thought more choice was good. I own P320's and Glocks along with a lot of "dead" handguns. Personally, I shoot them more than the dead ones. Not by choice though. As I have gotten older with advancing arthritis, I find the strikers easier to maintain consistency with during practice/training sessions. I can still shoot DA/SA, but the trigger finger can't maintain consistency in repeated draw/fire over a period of time. Adapt or die, as the old saying goes.

Law enforcement and military have always influenced civilian purchases of both handguns and calibers. Fact of life. Being simple minded, I've always chosen my SD handguns and calibers based on what's good for me.

The only bad news in all of this is I've got a number of very nice Sig DA/SA's in .40 that aren't worth poop anymore. Oh well...

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I’m an idiot for buying that LNIB w/German 228 last month. It’s my 7th P series.
Only other polymer guns I have are glocks. None other really turn my crank. Granted not many are available in CA. I have no desire to own any ruger or smith metal frames autos and CZ autos look weird to me.

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Not here at Che' Benzing.

I tried, really tried to love the P320. I put maybe 2,500 rounds through mine, shot it in multiple classes, tried several different holster styles including AIWB and classic VMII

At the end of it all, I went back to a P239. It's heavier, it has a smaller capacity. But it has a hammer. And when I re-holster, I like the security of riding a hammer back to leather.

You can keep all the poly framed, striker fired guns in the world thanks.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
The only bad news in all of this is I've got a number of very nice Sig DA/SA's in .40 that aren't worth poop anymore.

I hear you. Oddly enough, though, I put some handguns on consignment at a nearby store a few weeks ago when the demand was really high, but the only one that’s sold, and did so almost immediately, was a DA/SA 40 P226. The 40 M&P and the DA/SA 9mm P239 are still there.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^ I agree, except it only took me under a hundred rounds with a 320. I keep telling myself I'll give it another shot, then never do. I haven't tried the 365 yet though.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
The only Sig handguns I own are P series oldies, 226, 228, and 229, all 9mm. Not state-of-art, but they will still attract folks who are more enthusiastic about firearms than the average gun owner.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Were p228 ever produced with DAK action? I might have to keep my eye out for one now that they have fallen out of favor. I purchased a p320 full size and a stippled p320X Carry grip module and while I like it with GGI hybrid trigger, I still prefer my long smooth double action DAK handguns more. I just wanted to see what the fuss was all about. I am sure I will be able to sell the p320.

Posts: 565 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
But it has a hammer. And when I re-holster, I like the security of riding a hammer back to leather.

AMEN! This was never an issue when I reholstered in a Safariland SS3 duty belt holster. But in a CCW holster with clothing in the way, riding that hammer back in is a peace of mind I don't care to lose.

So this is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause. (A comment on our COVID response)

Posts: 19 | Location: Governor Smek's Buckeye State | Registered: April 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont think they are "dead" or even dying, but they have fallen from favor. Polymer is lighter and striker fired triggers are easier to learn.

Also, the modern "tacticool" trainers almost always recommend striker fired weapons because you dont need that little bit of extra trigger time to master the DA to SA transition. I can tell you from experience that in a shooting, it isnt an issue and that remembering to decock before re-holstering isnt an issue either. Act and train like a professional and thats how it will go down when you need to use your gun.

I have several Glocks, a few M&Ps, a P365, and a couple of XDs, they are all fine firearms (I sold my P320... wasnt a fan). I just prefer a DA/SA gun. I like DAK too. A lot.

Classic Sigs are beautiful, they are built well, and they work. That kind of thing doesn't die.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haul_n_horses2:
Were p228 ever produced with DAK action? I might have to keep my eye out for one now that they have fallen out of favor. I purchased a p320 full size and a stippled p320X Carry grip module and while I like it with GGI hybrid trigger, I still prefer my long smooth double action DAK handguns more. I just wanted to see what the fuss was all about. I am sure I will be able to sell the p320.

12131 would be the one who knows for sure, but I dont think so. I put my P228 locking block and slide in my P229 DAK frame, and it seemed like it would work. Actually seems like a pretty cool carry gun with the light rail and DAK trigger, but I would just carry it as is rather than franken sig the poor gal.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t know if any P228 frames were ever produced that were DAK compatible.

The question revolves around whether there is room for the DAK trigger bar to be installed in the frame. If not, then it doesn’t matter about the locking insert or barrel. For someone who knows what to look for, removing the right grip plate will reveal the answer, but otherwise it’s not easy to determine. Perhaps a customer service rep at SIG Sauer could answer the question based on the serial number of the P228, but I wouldn’t bet the rent on that.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
Seems like the only fans of metal framed Sigs here, are the ones who shoot on a regular basis. I only own 2. A 239 9mm and a 229 .40 with an extra .357 Sig barrel.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
This thread got me thinking... Aside from the SIG P226, my favorite pistols are Colt 1911 Govt, Browning Hi Power, Beretta M9 and as much as I hate to admit it sometimes, the GLOCK 19. I think the SIG is the perfect combination of the other fantastic four.

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had two P239s and a couple 232s among the "plastic" glocks and S&W M&P and Berettas I've either owned or been issued. I never found one out of those that I liked to, carry more than the 239. The glocks are as heavy and to find one small enough that I felt comfortable about concealing, the grips were way too small for my hands. The P series may be dead, but my 239 will always be my favorite to carry and shoot. The P232 fit my hand like a glove but I prefer something more than a .380 and it really is not much smaller at all than the 239.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem I see is this. Many of us long term gun owners already have all of the classics (all metal pistols) that we want. There is nothing new (innovative) in that arena to cause us to go out and make a purchase, aside from a few new introductions the P210 American and Python are the only two I can think of. So if we stumble on a classic Sig at a good price we'll buy it, but we don't have to have it and aren't actively searching for one.

However, the new polymer guns are so cheap that it's hard not to. I bought a Shield 9mm over Christmas only because it was on sale for $200. I have no need or use for it, but it was hard to pass up a new, quality 9mm with 2 magazines for $200 so I bought it. I also bought a bodyguard .380 a month later as it was cheap (I do have a use for this one as a pocket carry). Also there are some various innovations in the polymer pistol department......new pistols.....new designs.....etc...….

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weshowe;

Y E S ! ! !

Classic SIG's are Dead! Obsolete! Over-the Hill! Dead-and-Gone!

Send me yours (especially the P225) IMMEDIATELY ! ! ! !

And go buy some Austrian Tupperware.

Wink

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
^^ I agree, except it only took me under a hundred rounds with a 320. I keep telling myself I'll give it another shot, then never do. I haven't tried the 365 yet though.

Forget that 320 and go buy yourself a 365, you'll thank me later.
I never got into the whole 320 deal... never cared for it, never bought one.

The 320 and 365 are like comparing a Ford to a Chevy.
I've bought a 365 SAS, 365 TT and will get a 365XL.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents,

Never expected a response like this. I'll admit that polymer has a few advantages...mostly being cheap to produce...I DO own a Glock 19, but my primary carry weapons are a Combat Commander .45 ACP and a SIG P229 Elite in .357 Sig.

What can I say, I'm 69 years old and set in my ways.

Wes

Posts: 2413 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post