SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Are the classic Sig's dead?
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are the classic Sig's dead? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I don't take them out often so I thought in response to the discussion above that I should take a quick look at my VP70's just to make sure they have not turned to dust while I wasn't actively looking. Nope all looks good. And the triggers still suck beyond belief. Tomorrow I'm going to dig out my Remington Nylon 66 which is another decade older and make sure it hasn't done anything odd either. Just for fun...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
...The good news for those of us who like them, however, is there are some fantastic deals available on the used market right now, with guns that retailed for $900-$1000 going up in the low $400s range for police trades and a just little higher for private sales.

The fire sale deals on .40S&W and 357Sig are understandable, but in recent months, I've seen fantastic deals online on brand new P-Classics in 9mm.

For example:
P229 Legacy Slide w/ Siglite NS & SRT 9mm - $636.25
P229R Enhanced Elite 9mm - $672.99
P226R Nitron E2 9mm - $567.99

Sure there are shipping and transfer fees, but these are/were NIB!

Right now you can get police trade-in P220Rs starting at $459.95.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
The Orphanage...P226/P229 40 S&W
https://www.cdnnsports.com/cat...dir=desc&q=used+guns

The island of misfit Sigs. Sad. Darn good deals though.

Posts: 218 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Except, now, after nearly 40 years of the Glock- and it's monumental influence on current pistol design- polymer is no longer a non-traditional material for pistol frames; actually, it's now the norm.

I looked on the internet for a single picture, any picture, of a Glock frame that has deteriorated or broken from honest use (not abuse like overcharged rounds that can destroy any pistol). Not one single pic. None. Even the "crack" photos that show up now and then tend to be misidentified molding marks.

I have to say back in the late 80s when I became aware of Glock I was skeptical of their polymer frame. Now, I'd say its absolutely a better material for a pistol frame. As much as I like my classic Sigs, the Glocks would outlast them with equal use.

As far as longevity of polymer in general: my little grand-nieces have plastic Lil-Tykes brand play slides, grocery carts, and picnic benches in their yard that belonged to my kids, and I got them from my in-laws and their kids, and I am sure they bought them at garage sales. They've seen the hardest abuse, and have sat outside in the elements for decades with no Armor All or anything. Just an occassional hosing down when some kid spills something on them or some kid track dog crap up the slide steps. No cracks, no breaks, they are as good as the day they were purchased.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Car parts aren’t the best analogy for handgun polymers. First they are very different blends of plastics. They also see much more direct sunlight as well as many more extreme heat cold cycles.

Handgun polymers WILL absolutely degrade......someday......many many many moons from now. For all practical purposes if they are cared for, like any firearms material, they will last indefinitely as far as we are concerned. Consider that UV light is a big factor and then consider most have some kind of UV stabilizer and then consider most guns live in safes/holsters etc. and you have a fairly protected product.

Hell I have an action figure in my office from like 1985 and it sure as hell isn’t built like a Glock and it sure as hell has lived a rougher life and it looks as good as the day it came out of the box and still has plenty of flex in the parts meant to flex.

I have gotten over my polymer worries. I do however prefer metal guns aesthetically and in some cases the feel of shooting them.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
For that matter I have a Sauer 1913 pistol that has some form of plastic grips (bakalite maybe) that are in better shape then the gun. Smile. I know not load bearing but this gun was carried in war so there is that. (Great Uncle bring back. I tend to think it was some Nazi’s lucky pistol....until it .... it wasn’t.

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
As to the OP. Sadly polymer, strikers are easier to make, cheaper, lighter, as or more durable and reliable and easier to learn to shoot. As a WEAPON they simply are better in almost every way.

I say sadly because I both prefer DA/SA for many reasons for SD and I, like many here, see firearms not simply as weapons but as, for lack of a better phrase, kinetic pieces of art.

I have told folks for years. If you want an all metal pistol, especially a hammer fired one. Now is the time to buy.

posted Hide Post
Folks,

I'm really surprised at the response to the question. There are a number of reasons for liking or not liking classic sigs. It's really a matter of choice. I just happen to like the classic sigs better.

That said, my Sig 2022 is a real humdinger and there's no flies on the new Sig 320 either.

Wes

Posts: 2412 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
My hopes are that the death rattle keeps up with tons of good deals on Classic Ps. Just a little narcissism.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect there will be a demand for them for many years. However, I see it moving more and more towards a used market. The new ones just don't sell very well for the most part. It's not hard to understand why. There are plenty of other options (including ones from SIG) that are just as accurate and reliable and cost substantially less. And your standard production models (say a regular 220/226/229 etc.) take a big hit on resale. As a former SIG Master Dealer I can tell you that market price on most standard used ones made in the last 20 years or so is $450-$500, and those are ones that cost $800-$900+ new. They're certainly nice guns, and I'll probably always have a soft spot for them. However, the market has been moving away from them for quite some time.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Car parts aren’t the best analogy for handgun polymers. First they are very different blends of plastics. They also see much more direct sunlight as well as many more extreme heat cold cycles.

Handgun polymers WILL absolutely degrade......someday......many many many moons from now. For all practical purposes if they are cared for, like any firearms material, they will last indefinitely as far as we are concerned. Consider that UV light is a big factor and then consider most have some kind of UV stabilizer and then consider most guns live in safes/holsters etc. and you have a fairly protected product.

Hell I have an action figure in my office from like 1985 and it sure as hell isn’t built like a Glock and it sure as hell has lived a rougher life and it looks as good as the day it came out of the box and still has plenty of flex in the parts meant to flex.

I have gotten over my polymer worries. I do however prefer metal guns aesthetically and in some cases the feel of shooting them.

So.... What action figure is it?

Posts: 1956 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Sig Germany just put out a new upgrade to the P226/P229:

A small issue on why the classic Sigs are fading is because Sig US isn't really doing anything interesting with them. Hell, I'd be happy with a 5" Legion...

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Is it me or does that pistol look used? I wonder why they chose to make the standard capacity 17 instead of 18. Confused

Posts: 1956 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, this is what happens when a woman begins to feel her age- let the cosmetic surgery begin.

So, not dead, but the wrinkles are beginning to show, so lots of makeup and elective surgery are called for, yes?

Because that's still a P226.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Because that's still a P226.

Yup, put on some skeletonized hammer, straight trigger, and fancy new grips, and a little reshaping of the trigger guard, and what do you get? A P226, still.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sig Germany just put out a new upgrade to the P226/P229:

Sometimes its better to just go out with honor than to continue to exist as a shadow of your former self. That thing looks like the handgun version of the 45 y/o QB who should retire but just had to come back for one more try at the Superbowl, or the TV show that has run it's course but the writers try to wring another season or two out of it.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Still looks a lot better than a Glock to me....

Just noticed the extended slide catch, I like that ... I might could pass the #3 malfunction test at Front Sight....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
Is it me or does that pistol look used? I wonder why they chose to make the standard capacity 17 instead of 18. Confused

Best guess is they’re using Sig factory magazines instead of using the 18 round MecGars.

Also not sure on the finish. I couldn’t find anything on if they’re still using Nitron or is they’re doing Battleworn Cerekote. I’ve also seen the new STI Staccato lineup with uses DLC looks the same.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Still looks a lot better than a Glock to me....
What does that have to do with the subject at hand? If your primary concern is looks, you might as well be a woman.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post