SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Are the classic Sig's dead?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are the classic Sig's dead? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Ahhh DA/SA the manual transmission of the gun world. A generation brought up on striker fired guns look at these as a cross between anachronistic and wizardry. Besides you will surely die in a gunfight against a striker gun because you will miss or take 68 seconds to get your first shot off while your opponent is reloading his second mag. Razz

Alas yes DA/SA metal guns are soon to be Forgotten Weapons material. Frown

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLD_COP:
Is the Single Action Army dead? Is the 1911 dead? The Sig P series is every bit the classic and will always have those who appreciate it.

While I agree the classic P-Series will always have a fan base, it will never achieve the iconic status of the SAA or 1911. SIG has already begun pruning the P-Series line-up as witnessed by their single P220 offering for 2020. Once SIG ceases production of the entire product line, it is unlikely other companies will step in to produce clones. In comparative terms, the classic P-Series pistol is as cost prohibitive to produce today as was the P49 it replaced in 1975.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P320 is getting a lot of attention these days.
Its FCU design is the next thing.
The classic series is finding its niche.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig Classics will always will be around to the folks who appreciate them.I'm 60 and My MINT condition 2003 German P225 will someday go to some lucky somebody.

Posts: 41 | Location: Spencerport, New York | Registered: June 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I have a safe full of them, but just can't bear to sell any. I don't carry them often, and when I do, it's usually a 229/357. My bedside pistol is a MK25.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was favorite back in the day,357sig/with 40sw barrel, two guns in one.

I have a safe full of them, but just can't bear to sell any. I don't carry them often, and when I do, it's usually a 229/357. My bedside pistol is a MK25.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 41 | Location: Spencerport, New York | Registered: June 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Ahhh DA/SA the manual transmission of the gun world. Frown

ha ! This is a great line. I'm gunna use it.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FP2000H
posted Hide Post
Only classic I have is an early 90's German P239 9mm.

I need a German P228 and a P226.

I've never really been that interested in the P220. Just not a .45 guy, I guess.

#COMMUNISTMANBAD

Posts: 1737 | Location: TX | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motoboy:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Ahhh DA/SA the manual transmission of the gun world. Frown

ha ! This is a great line. I'm gunna use it.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I'd like to point to evidence that shows while they prune from DA/SA offerings in categories that are not good sellers, they add Legion variant guns in just about each year.

But, they are very erratic in their decision making at the top.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got my first polymer SIG (P365) a few weeks ago and it’s very impressive. I carry it a lot. I also have other polymer pistols (Glocks, HK P30s) but still have a soft spot for metal frames and DA/SA. I got a second P220ST last week to add to my small SIG stable. I don’t know that I’d get rid of any of these.
P239
P239 DAK
P228 West German
P226 West German
P220ST x2

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Not just Sig's but any other all metal guns are becoming collectors items.
Start out with the price differential, lighter weight, durability and just those advantages make polymer the go to material.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I just saw on Sigs's website that the P220 Nitron is now listed as a discontinued model. Only the Legion is left.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking the same thing lately. The SIG Sauer P226 is my favorite pistol. Specifically the W. German variant. But I often wonder if it is the best choice for defense these days. I can't help but think about how much money I could have saved if I just bought a GLOCK 19 to begin with and left it at that.

Posts: 1957 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't help but think about how much money I could have saved if I just bought a GLOCK 19 to begin with and left it at that.

Where is the fun in that? Smile

What are the statistical chances that you will ever need to point, much less fire gun in anger?

Now what are the statistical chances you will enjoy shooting, admire and generally appreciate a given firearm or firearms?

Therefore simply owning a Glock 19 while EMINENTLY practical and quite possibly the best overall defensive handgun choice one can make.....is well boring. Not that Glocks can’t be fun to shoot.

Now owning those sexy SIGs.....practical.....maybe not as much but ohhh so enjoyable.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it and why I am collecting the whole set...... of firearms......period. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
I've been thinking the same thing lately. The SIG Sauer P226 is my favorite pistol. Specifically the W. German variant. But I often wonder if it is the best choice for defense these days. I can't help but think about how much money I could have saved if I just bought a GLOCK 19 to begin with and left it at that.

There’s a lot of truth to that. A Glock 19 was my first real defensive handgun (not one of these) and it did everything I needed. There are others I enjoy owning and shooting more but none of them do anything the Glock 19 can’t do.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Dying maybe, but not dead. There are too many in the wild for them to ever die.
My first P226 is still one of my favorites and is going strong.

Cheers~

Posts: 904 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm going to pretend I'm Egyptian and get buried with a 226. Maybe dead to the world, but not to me.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know how you could really argue otherwise

police adoption?

current production / sales numbers?

military adoption?

shift in CHL market?

aftermarket / ancillary support and product enhancement ?

these are major trends in handgun design, manufacturing, and sales. the 'classic' da/sa design drives none of these aspects within the marketplace

which is NOT to say they are bad guns. just that they are currently an afterthought in the current landscape of handgun usage / ownership

ETA: i recently was showing 2 novice shooters a few things

one of the things we covered was the difference in handgun design / 'operating systems'

compared to a Glock-type design... teaching DA/SA is a whole lot of WTF for a new shooter

the 'one consistent trigger pull' design of modern polymer guns is a big appeal to new shooters that's for sure

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
1967:

To understand this joke, you have to understand when this movie was made: 1967, the height of the hippie/youth rebellious movements in the USA. Young people of this era were anxious to throw off the 1950’s conformities and material obsessions of their parents. ...

The word “plastic” thus not only refers to the literal manufacturing of plastic items, it also is synonymous with “false”, “bogus”, “synthetic”, “tawdry”, “lifeless”, “artificial”, “pre-fabricated”.

This joke might be lost on today’s young college graduates, who now likely think of plastics as being closely related to the manufacture of exciting, innovative, futuristic high-tech objects… and thus a possibly attractive career path indeed.

You “had to be there”, as they say.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-...cs-from-The-Graduate

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post