SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Are the classic Sig's dead?
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are the classic Sig's dead? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Welcome, neverfollow. Light, compact .45s can be a rough way to introduce yourself to a platform. It seems as though an awful lot of us got sucked into the Classics through either the 228/229 or the 226.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Is the back strap all "in the white" stainless or ribbons of stainless and black.

Tramp stamp is HILARIOUS. That said I kinda like the logo. Not sure I like the back strap.
Neither on the back strap. It is the G10 material. The rear is machined and the G10 seems to be glass impregnated.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both the stamp and the grip backstrap are in a shade that actually looks better in person. Though I did replace the grips on my 226 Classic Carry, the logo didn’t bother me. Meanwhile, it has been a flawless shooter to date.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I have some polymers - G19, G20, P30L, P365, SP2022 - I still shoot the P series guns the best of my semi autos. For 33+ years I’ve always had at least one. My 225, 226, and 229 with SRTs are the easiest guns I have to shoot well. They are the most forgiving of variances in my mechanics. A light polymer frame is way more susceptible to trigger push than a heavier pistol. Look at how many articles there are online about why people shoot left with Glocks. Trigger push. They had to resort to the thumbs forward grip to conquer it. That is about the most non instinctive grip ever. I hate it.

I’m not refusing to use the new guns - I just like the heavy guns better. Since I get to choose, I’ll keep running the P Series.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neverfollow:
A month ago I purchased a ANIB P229 Classic Carry. While they all perform flawlessly, I have the P229 on me constantly - because it fits my hand, the weight and balance is perfect and the trigger (SRT) is wonderful. Both the striker fired firearms are great, but the feel of the P series versions (IMHO) can't be beat.

I agree. The P229 has always been my favorite P series. And this one with the G10 grips is my favorite of the P229s I've owned. As much as I like my Glocks, the feel of the 229 is so much better to me.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents,

I really appreciate your many knowledgable posts. To say the least my "compact" carry gun is a Sig P229 Stainless Elite in .357 SIG.
My full size carry is a Colt Stainless 1911 in .38 Super +.

Lover both of them. Guess I'm a sucker for "classics".

Wes

Posts: 2413 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Is the back strap all "in the white" stainless or ribbons of stainless and black.

Tramp stamp is HILARIOUS. That said I kinda like the logo. Not sure I like the back strap.
Neither on the back strap. It is the G10 material. The rear is machined and the G10 seems to be glass impregnated.

G10 is just a fancy, techie way of saying 'latest generation fiberglass'. The grips that come with the P229 Classic Carry are shaped like any other P229 or classic P-SIG pair of grips held on the frame via screws; there is no separate backstrap piece. The contrasting color is due to alternate layering of two colors of fiberglass material, which is then machined for diamond pattern texture and SIG logo. I usually prefer a more monochromatic look to synthetic parts, but there's something "natural" about the character of G10 that makes it okay to show off that contrast. Kind of like the weave to carbon fiber; it's an inherent and honest trait of the material.

I dunno if I would go as far to say that I actually like the CC's G10 look, but I can say that I don't mind it. Similar to how I feel about the tramp stamp these days, which I truly hated at first when I bought the gun three yrs ago.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’m about to buy a 226 and 220 10mm. I have plenty of plastic Guns but never warmed up to the 320.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ruger357,

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
A good friend here just got himself an almost new P239 Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abn556:
A light polymer frame is way more susceptible to trigger push than a heavier pistol. Look at how many articles there are online about why people shoot left with Glocks. Trigger push. They had to resort to the thumbs forward grip to conquer it. That is about the most non instinctive grip ever. I hate it.

+

I'd suggest watching some of the top pistol shooters in the world. The people shooting thumbs forward (almost all the people competitive on the national and international level) aren't doing it because they're shooting a light weight poly frame gun. There's a reason for that... Wink

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look at how many articles there are online about why people shoot left with Glocks. Trigger push.

Member here jljones discusses that issue with Glocks, and he says it’s due to “overgripping” the gun, not “pushing” the trigger. I really don’t believe that having a somewhat heavier gun keeps people from pushing the gun off target if they’re not operating the trigger correctly (i.e., pulling back rather than pushing to one side).

I have a heavy, all-stainless P220 ST that I can push off line just as easily as any other pistol if I do that, but if pistol weight were the reason why so many people shoot left with Glocks, then why not with similar guns having polymer frames? I had one student who had that problem despite shooting with her thumbs forward and it improved when I followed Jones’ advice about how to correct it. On the other hand, it doesn’t seem to be a problem with P320s that have a better ergonomic grip shape.

His video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...Yu3koF4o&app=desktop

As for the value of the thumbs forward grip, I was introduced to that long ago when I was transitioning from revolvers to a P229. It immediately improved my shooting because when I point my thumbs at the target, I’m also pointing the gun at the target. It’s a variation on the concept that pointing our finger at something is a natural skill we all have.
I believe thumbs up and forward also helps with recoil control and recovery.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t like the thumbs forward grip. I was shooting for decades and on a corporate pistol team for many years before that grip came out. I do not want to change up everything just to shoot Glocks a little better. For me shooting slightly left is only an issue with Glocks. Its not an issue with polymer framed pistols from other manufacturers. I have several Sigs and HKs that are polymer and none shoot left. Perhaps its more the Glock grip angle than the weight of the frame or perhaps its the triggers. Regardless I am not going to change everything to run that grip. It’s not necessary for me and its neither instinctive or comfortable. If I need to grab a pistol and go in the middle of the night, I don’t see a compelling reason to add worrying about a wonky feeling grip into the equation. Your mileage may of course vary.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t like the thumbs forward grip.
+

That's fine, and pretty understandable if you've been doing it a different way for decades. I was mostly just responding to your comment about "having to resort the thumbs forward grip" statement about Glocks. It seemed to be a misunderstanding of why the thumbs forward grip is popular. Look at high end pistol shooters, mostly using steel framed guns as heavy as they can fit in their division. I'm not aware of any shooters competitive at the national or international level that use anything other than a thumbs forward grip. It's because it's a better way to shoot pistols if one is capable of it.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In some of the OpSpec training classes I have attended, JLJones showed how overgripping a Glock will make it pull. I had flattened the grip of my P320 fullsize, and ask JLJones to test it. He rapid fired the pistol with a strong grip, and there was no pulling of the shots. JL states that the P320 is grip tolerant.

I have also found that, when drawing very quickly, I may have a non correct grip and that the rounds still end up being accurate.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Absolutely Positively-
Retired
Picture of ace73
posted Hide Post
I would hate to think that the Classics are dead!
But it’s sad that they are tossed to the corner like a red headed stepchild with the support that Sig is not giving them. I just bought a slightly used 239SAS and can’t find any decently priced mags or parts kits! And no, I don’t want to pay over $60 for a mag! So I will make do with 2 mags and still carry it. Plus it looks good next to my 228!

Posts: 1182 | Location: Detroit/Downriver | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are the classic Sigs dead? Well, you'd have to define 'dead' as well as 'classic'. As far as Sig is concerned, they've certainly moved on regarding some products.

But my decades old P229 (357Sig) and P239SAS Two Tone (357Sig) aren't going anywhere until I'm dead and gone. So, for me, they're not dead at all and yes, they're classics.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 230 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P22X-series is an interesting gun, to me.

As a teen, I thought they were an incredibly elegant and expensive piece of shooting technology that I just couldn't afford, no matter how badly I wanted one.

Several years later, I came to value a consistent trigger pull, and got rid of guns that forced a DA/SA transition.

I still have some nostalgia for the 22X-series, and would love to get my hands on a minty West German 228. I can afford it now, but I fear it's never quite going to fit with my shooting/carry philosophy, and thus I don't know if it will ever rise to the top of my buying priority.

But I'd still love to have one...

Posts: 465 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ If your dogma ran over your karma, then surely turn about is fair play.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ace73:
I would hate to think that the Classics are dead!
But it’s sad that they are tossed to the corner like a red headed stepchild with the support that Sig is not giving them. I just bought a slightly used 239SAS and can’t find any decently priced mags or parts kits! And no, I don’t want to pay over $60 for a mag! So I will make do with 2 mags and still carry it. Plus it looks good next to my 228!

My first Sig was a P230 many years ago (15?) and I learned way back then that an extra Sig magazine is going to cost you... back then a factory stainless mag for the P230/232 was $50.

Here's my convoluted 'problem' I bought my fourth (final?) P239 last month and needed to make it just like my other three and put a Crimson Trace laser grip on it.... went to their web sight and broke down and ordered one as a guest... then for some reason decided to check Amazone and they had the same grips listed for sale for about half as much $184 total... So I ordered them and sent CT an email asking to cancel my order... 10 minutes might have gone by.... never did get a confirmation of the order or my email and I got distracted for a while and kind of forgot about it... grips from amazon came in two days... over two weeks later I do get an email from CT saying my oder has shipped and should arrive via FedX in a week.....Huh? So, when it did come in I send CT an email taking some responsibly for the mix up... guess what... still have not gotten a reply from them? So, here is how messed up and deep I am into the gun addiction and specifically classic Sigs... since I have the extra set of Crimson Trace laser grips for a P239... guess what I need to buy?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Beautiful P239, Ace!

Congratulations, sir Big Grin

Both are very nice, indeed.

Agree about the disappointment with regard to mags and parts.

Talk about having the rug pulled out from underneath...

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post