SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Are the classic Sig's dead?
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are the classic Sig's dead? Login/Join 
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned two X5’s, one from each generation. Neither of them came close to the fit and performance of my CZ Shadow 2, which is obtainable new for less than half the price of an X5, even aftermarket. Further refinement, namely an Accu Shadow from CZC, can be had for half the price of a new X5. IMHO there is no comparison = CZ wins.

My EDC is a German Sig P225, so classic Sigs aren’t dead to me unless you’re referring to the piss-poor named Classic P225, aka P225A1.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I gave my Sig M11A1 to a pistol-less family member last year and never intended to replace it. But I have an empty space on my pistol rack between my P226 and my P239. And this looked like a pretty good deal so I ordered one.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig...__SID=U#.XqVgsGhKguV

I always liked the original P229 slide. And I like the no-rail configuration.

That's a hell of a deal. I didn't see a -1 so I assume it uses the 13 round 228 mags vs the 15 rounders?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure it uses the original P228/229 13 round mags. Not the new mags with the extra shoulder in them.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
There are 15 round magazine available for P228 and early P229. The 15 round magazine is made by Mec-gar and uses the same body and base as the Mec-gar 13 magazine, but with a different spring and follower.
You can find them on Greg Cote website and Top gun .

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
I’ve owned two X5’s, one from each generation. Neither of them came close to the fit and performance of my CZ Shadow 2, which is obtainable new for less than half the price of an X5, even aftermarket. Further refinement, namely an Accu Shadow from CZC, can be had for half the price of a new X5. IMHO there is no comparison = CZ wins.

My EDC is a German Sig P225, so classic Sigs aren’t dead to me unless you’re referring to the piss-poor named Classic P225, aka P225A1.

+100 Agree completely.

I had 3 German P226 X5 Mastershops... down to 1. My CZ Shadow 2s replaced them. The CZ Shadow 2 Orange takes it to the next level. Sig are you listening?

Posts: 218 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Man, that is a nice P229! Especially at that price.

Posts: 1956 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting if not timely (for me) thread...

From the mid 80's through the mid 90's, I owned a couple of Ruger rifles and a Taurus Semi-auto 9mm pistol. I was never what many on here would consider an enthusiast as firearms fall more in the utilitarian / tool category for me. But in recent years my wife and I moved from our condo in town to a larger sized home with acreage here in Colorado and have been mulling around the idea of at least getting some home and wilderness defense tools. With all that is going on now, we decided to dive in and made our purchase about a month ago.

I have shot a lot of interesting guns in my lifetime including some full autos in the 90's and of course Glocks. In regards to the latter, I just never took to them even though it is a lighter carry in the high country. So before we made our purchase this time, I tried a Glock again and like before, just did not like the balance, ergonomics and feel of operation. I'm sure I could adapt if I needed to but as a person who is coming back to firearms for the first time since 1994, I loved everything about the Sig P229 we each bought new in the box. In .40 cal which is a round I really think will serve our purposes well, the gun felt really balanced, well controlled and easy enough to practice with. It will take more practice than a 9mm but it has more to offer especially with our Underwood ammo.

I honestly think the pair of P229's are the only pistols we might ever need. The only other one I could possibly consider would be a P220 in 10mm for when I am in Montana / Wyoming deep in Grizzly country. The P320 looks like a nice lighter option to the P229 or even a P365 if I want to drop down to 9mm but I am really one of those people who want to keep it simple, reliable and become excellent with one thing.

Aside from a decent bolt action .308 rifle (Savage 110 Tactical), I bet the Sig P229's are the only firearms I purchase, I think they are that good.

Posts: 5 | Registered: April 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Nitonize:

Good deal!... I could be wrong, do some research, you might could convert one or both of those P229's to 9mm just for practice and 'training'... also, instead of looking into 10mm I'd consider a 357 sig barrel for what you already have... With a P229 in 40 all you need is the barrel to change over... everything including the magazines will work with 357.

You wrote: "Aside from a decent bolt action .308 rifle (Savage 110 Tactical), I bet the Sig P229's are the only firearms I purchase, I think they are that good." I'll take that bet.... I've learned over the years just because you find a good gun... that does not end things....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Eventually I'm going to add a few P220's in .45ACP and 10mm to the safe (I've held on to my small stable of TDA SIGs and it'd be nice to round it out with some single stack big bores). Outside of woods duty I doubt they would see much use besides enjoyment and variety, though.

Once the Army went with the M17 I parked myself solidly in the manual safety, striker-fired, polymer-framed camp for simplicity's sake, though I still have an M9-marked Beretta in the safe should I be assigned to a deploying unit that hasn't yet been fielded the M17/M18.

There's a pride in overcoming the technical challenges of shooting a TDA pistol well, just as I find a pride in shooting my S&W 586 with magnum loads double-action only with speed and accuracy. It's not "hard" per sce but a task you have to train on, which I feel makes you better with guns with less challenging triggers.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I got my P229 from CDNN. $629.99. https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig...__SID=U#.XrMjpWhKguU

Need to wipe off a little excess TW25B grease

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Nice! Looks like it's still breathing. Wink I think I'll consider them dead when SIG stops offering the SIG Service Plan.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: elberettas,

Posts: 1956 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I got my P229 from CDNN. $629.99. https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig...__SID=U#.XrMjpWhKguU

Nice . Been eyeballing those myself . Is that Sig logo laser etched ?
Don’t forget the mandatory range report .Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's laser etched, but I am not sure. It's not engraved like it is on the M11A1. It's just printed somehow.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
That is a Frankensig at its best! All it needs is a 229 Sport compensator and those MMC sights that never fit well to be the King of the Frankensigs. I remember once they released a 220 stainless that had an elite slide with an old 220 sport frame with the useless proprietary rail. I also love when Sig parts bins a gun with an SAS frame but a non SAS slide. They did that with some 228’s if I recall.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one when they were new. The pics were from two or three years ago:

I like the gun a lot and even got over the tramp stamp logo, though the truth is that I haven't shot it much in the past year or so. Changed out the trigger for an old school solid; probably not 'drop safe' in SIG parlance these days... Wink Spent much of my 9mm ammo budget last year on "breaking in" 365s, and conversely having fun with my G45 and G19s.

-MG

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL ! Tramp stamp ! I wonder if it would rub off using a little acetone on a rag ?

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I want a P220 again, but that's the only Sig currently speaking to me.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Is the back strap all "in the white" stainless or ribbons of stainless and black.

Tramp stamp is HILARIOUS. That said I kinda like the logo. Not sure I like the back strap.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick B:
LOL ! Tramp stamp ! I wonder if it would rub off using a little acetone on a rag ?

I'd prefer they were engraved, but I have one on my 225-A1. I can live with it, the one on the M11-A1 looks 1,000 times better.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of neverfollow
posted Hide Post
My 2 cents....I own a 1990s P220 Carry and an early P220 Compact SAO. Those essentially sit in the safe. Last year I purchased a P320X Carry with a Romeo1 and a P365. The P320 was for the nightstand and the P365 for CC. A month ago I purchased a ANIB P229 Classic Carry. While they all perform flawlessly, I have the P229 on me constantly - because it fits my hand, the weight and balance is perfect and the trigger (SRT) is wonderful. Both the striker fired firearms are great, but the feel of the P series versions (IMHO) can't be beat.

Posts: 92 | Location: NC | Registered: March 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post