SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Are the classic Sig's dead?
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are the classic Sig's dead? Login/Join 
posted
Gents,

Just scored a trade into a P225 and six spare mags. This is one of my favorite Sigs, but I notice that everyone seems to be going to polymer models. I just can't make myself go there and am a classic Sig lover...

Wes

Posts: 2412 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are the classic Sig's dead?

The classic (folded slide) P220, P225, P226 and P228 ARE dead. Even the milled slide SIGs' future is not very promising.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a classic P229 in .40, love it.

P226r Extreme, P226 TACOPS, M11-A1, P220 Elite Full Size

Posts: 30 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: January 31, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
If this pandemic did anything besides panic, it was to separate wheat from chaff at my area gun stores. When the sales dust settled from the melee, seems the only guns remaining on the shelves were classic P series. All the striker Polymers went briskly. Interesting phenomena.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2003 german P225 is my absolute favorite also.Feels great, and super accurate.If NYS were open carry I'd be carring her often. So shes not dead, just sleeping to be woken up when its a trip to range. Polymer guns are fantastic if you stick to, to me, battle proven handguns. I carry a hk30sk and hkvp9sk. Wife carrys sig 365 and glock 43. Never had any hiccups or malfunctions and all are easy to carry and accurate. Carried her glock 43 one time and totally forgot I was carrying, tiny and light. Just have to pick what works for you and happy with our choices.

Gents,

Just scored a trade into a P225 and six spare mags. This is one of my favorite Sigs, but I notice that everyone seems to be going to polymer models. I just can't make myself go there and am a classic Sig lover...

Wes[/QUOTE]

Posts: 41 | Location: Spencerport, New York | Registered: June 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
No, no, they're not dead!

They're restin' ...

Posts: 15842 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozzy14559:
My 2003 german P225 is my absolute favorite also. Feels great, and super accurate. If NYS were open carry I'd be carring her often. So shes not dead, just sleeping to be woken up when its a trip to range...

Care to expand on this....The P225 is easily concealed in my experience. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Few things stay in production for decades upon decades. On a positive note there are lots of classic Sigs out there that need good homes. As more people move on to polymer there will inevitably be those who unload their older alloy and steel framed Sigs. There will also be people like me who scoop them up.

I bought most of my Sigs used but not abused. In many cases it was the only way to acquire a model that wasn’t exactly being made just like it was before. Even in changes that seem bad there are opportunities.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the Single Action Army dead? Is the 1911 dead? The Sig P series is every bit the classic and will always have those who appreciate it.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Amen to that....

I just yesterday picked up a Sig P239... brand new never fired in the case with all the original stuff including the little pack of complementary oil.. which it needed badly before I tried the gun out... not a speck of lubricant anywhere on it except around the hammer group...driest gun I've ever held.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 225 is nowhere near as easy to conceal as the 365. The classics have their place, but there's a reason the newer models are selling well.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even if you like DA/SA guns, the polymer framed ones are a good deal. I just picked up a CZ P07 dirt cheap. Nice gun. I will probably work on trigger but even adding that to the cost it’s cheaper than most P series, lighter, I prefer the ergos, etc.

My 226’s and228’s don’t get shot much. Still love my 225a1 though. Go figure.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Dead? No, but they are clearly now more part of firearms past than firearms present.

I still love AK's and 1911's and Beretta 92's, but I buy them in smaller numbers than "modern" guns and I buy them just to own and shoot at the range, not for any defensive use.

Some will still carry classic Sigs, but that is clearly the minority today.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I think the Classics are more for enthusiasts now, but definitely not dead. I wouldn’t be surprised if they see more of a resurgence in the future too. Beretta is still cranking out new and exciting product variations on the venerable 92 and they are well received by the shooting public. I think there are lots of people out there like me that really wouldn’t consider SIG, Smith and Wesson or Beretta for their newer polymer designs but have tremendous interest in their classic products. As evidence of that look at how much 3rd generation S&W auto pistols have gone up in price as more people are showing interest in them. So classic sigs are not dead but are less and less likely to be found in police duty holsters.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
There will be a niche for metal frames for a while but polymer is cheaper to manufacture so as in most businesses cost cutting for profit usually wins out.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Please send me all your dead P Series. I will ensure a proper burial with 21 gun salute.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’ve been saying they’re dying for some time now.
It’s not just their expense and weight, but also their double action/single action triggers. I have a DA/SA 9mm P239 on consignment at a nearby store and although I was told, “Oh, that ought to go quick at $500 with the demand for guns now,” nope: still there after a couple of weeks. And of course there’s the self-fulfilling aspect: less demand, less support, less support, less demand.

And the fact that a few people still prefer them doesn’t change the overall situation any more than the fact that a few people still like to listen to their music on vinyl disks.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
They’re not dead, but they are on life support, unfortunately.

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think at their price point, the polymer guns will do better than the metal frames guns. I have a couple polymer guns but the metal framed guns just have something about them. Sig's metal guns are nice but with their pricing being so high, it will eventually kill them.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I’ve been saying they’re dying for some time now.
It’s not just their expense and weight, but also their double action/single action triggers. I have a DA/SA 9mm P239 on consignment at a nearby store and although I was told, “Oh, that ought to go quick at $500 with the demand for guns now,” nope: still there after a couple of weeks. And of course there’s the self-fulfilling aspect: less demand, less support, less support, less demand.

And the fact that a few people still prefer them doesn’t change the overall situation any more than the fact that a few people still like to listen to their music on vinyl disks.

I have to agree with this 100%. Still have my 40 caliber P239's but carry nowadays is a Ruger LC9S Pro because it is just so much more convenient. BTW, also still listen to Vinyl.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post