SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    2 pt question: HKParts, SP5K optics rail
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 pt question: HKParts, SP5K optics rail Login/Join 
posted
Like the title says, I've got a couple of questions:

First: I know the owner (still? former?) of HKParts had a fairly serious run-in with the Feds a few years ago, and was convicted of fairly serious gun charges and sentenced to "vacation" for four or five years in a Fed penitentiary. I haven't figure out if he's still tied with HKParts as of this moment, but regardless I kinda need to know: is the company today considered reliable and a generally good e-retailer? Some of the reviews I've read about the post-conviction company haven't shown as much love for them as I would've like to see, especially if I plan on throwing a bunch of funds their way.

Second: I've been looking for a top rail for a SP5K PDW. Something rather insidious is gnawing at me brain to look for the factory rail unit, but those lil' bits of alloy that make up that part amounts to nearly every bit of $400! Other than being an OEM part and authentic in brand to the gun itself, I can't help but question the actual value of such a purchase.

So my question to the gallery is: if you had a SP5 or SP5K and were looking for an optics mount rail, would you decide that brand continuity is important, swallow hard and buy the actual HK part?

For now I decided to slum it and ordered an aftermarket rail by Midwest Industries to at least hold me over. HOWEVER, that real HK part continues to gnaw...

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've bought from HK Parts a few times in the last couple years with no issues.

As far as the optics rail goes, I have three MP-5 pattern guns and none are HK, so I don't know that I would worry too much about it. You can likely find Zenith/MKE optics rails fairly cheap.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Can't help you on the rail, but I have purchased a couple of times from HKParts this year, had no issues. But had no idea of their prior problems.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
There are two B&T mounts I like. They appear to be out at most sources, and I have seen copies, so I wouldn’t buy from anyone but a well known store.

https://hkparts.net/product/b-...-aimpoint-p16862.htm

https://hkparts.net/product/b-...ope-mount-p16875.htm

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I too heard about the former owner of HKparts.com. He was sentenced to 4 years in prison in 2017 and an article I read online said he is no longer the owner.

With that being said, I've made about 5 purchases from HKparts since then and every one of my transactions has been flawless and very quick. I would have no problem ordering from them again if the need arises in the future.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
The bigger issue with hkparts.com is they're often more expensive than buying direct from the http://www.hkwebshop.com/

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bought a ton of stuff from HK parts, no issues. I accept that for many things they are expensive but they actually have them in stock so I am ok with that when I do order. And in the case of having an issue (on a trigger pack) they immediately rectified it. I order from them on a regular basis no issues. As to your mount issue there are tons of good choices. But what works really in this case depends on what height you are ultimately trying to achieve to go with what optic. I've a bunch of these guns and sometimes the B&T is better or the Spuhr. I have never used the true HK one. Really depends on the optic.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've bought from HKParts multiple times with no issues. I found a base for an Aimpoint T1 at Arms Unlimited specific to H&K and that optic extremely cheap. It's an exact copy of the old Aimpoint part.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not that familiar with the SP5 but living in SC I have been told that PTR makes a clone that has parts that are interchangeable.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info about your HKParts experiences. A couple of buddies of mine echoed the same about them being GTG. Skepticism averted.

As for the rail: yes as I've subsequently discovered there are A LOT of options available, from really cheap, er, affordable to the insanely-to-me expensive. For now I've got the Midwest rail inbound and I'll see how that one goes. I've had plenty of positive results with MI AR-15 alloy handguards so I really don't think it'll be a bad choice at all. But that OE rail is still whispering to me... Wink

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've lots of experience on this optic mount issue. What optic? What brace (or stock if SBR), what goal for irons. The combinations are many and many are annoying.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post