SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Magazines for P220
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magazines for P220 Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I recently acquired an older, classic no-rail P220 in a trade, and would like to get a few extra magazines.

I see SIG magazines at $49.00 on SIG's website and $32.95 on Top Gun's site.

I also see ACT magazines for less than $20.00 on Greg Cote's website.

I am not familiar with ACT magazines. Are these a good choice? Reliable and suitable for carry?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
ACT mags are good to go and quite a bit cheaper but check on eBay Vtail - you should be able to get 8 rounders for $25 - $30 each. Act mags can probably be had for $15 - $20 per.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
ACT mags are good to go and quite a bit cheaper but check on eBay Vtail - you should be able to get 8 rounders for $25 - $30 each. Act mags can probably be had for $15 - $20 per.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What remiss said.
I have been using Act Mags for years and never had any issues with them.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ACT mags are a great lower priced option. Never had a problem with the 4 I have for my 220.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Sig OEM mags for carry and ACT mags for practice. The ACT mags have been trouble free.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My ACT mags (3) are cracked at the top rear of the magazines. I sent several Emails a few years ago to them without reply.

Some at the time said they sent mags in for replacement and that they were kept by the company with no mags returned in exchange.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
As long as I've started this thread, maybe somebody can tell me about 7 round vs. 8 round magazines.

I don't think I'm interested in 10 rounds at this time, unless somebody can convince me that it's a good idea.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
As long as I've started this thread, maybe somebody can tell me about 7 round vs. 8 round magazines.

I don't think I'm interested in 10 rounds at this time, unless somebody can convince me that it's a good idea.

7-rounder - German made, factory. Dovetail back, metal base.
8-rounder - Italian made (Mec-Gar), factory. Smooth back, plastic base.

Q

Posts: 26349 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
My collector genes say that an "older, classic no-rail P220" should use SIG 7-round magazines.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

7-rounder - German made, factory. Dovetail back, metal base.
8-rounder - Italian made (Mec-Gar), factory. Smooth back, plastic base.
That helps a bit, re genealogy.

How about function? Any difference with reliability? Are both types "solid" for carry?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
My collector genes say that an "older, classic no-rail P220" should use SIG 7-round magazines.
Aesthetics? Or is there a functional reason for your statement?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nothing more than that the 7-round magaznes were factory issue.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Is there any reason to avoid 8 round magazines from a functional / reliability standpoint?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My thoughts exactly.

What year does your 220 date to Vtail? I have 7 rounders for my W Germans & 8 rounders for all the rest just because they are period correct for the respective guns.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
My thoughts exactly.

What year does your 220 date to Vtail? I have 7 rounders for my W Germans & 8 rounders for all the rest just because they are period correct for the respective guns.
It's not accessible right now, I'll look at it tomorrow. No rail, and if memory serves, internal extractor, if that helps to date it.

To clarify: This is my first and only P220. I am not looking at it as a collectible, it's for shooting and, when I find the right holster, for carry. So, "period correct" would take second place for me, after function and reliability. Re-fraiming my question in that light, should I be looking for 7 round magazines? Or 8 round? And, for this purpose, are the ACT magazines as suitable as SIG or MecGar? I assume that I should stay away from ProMag, correct?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It's not accessible right now, I'll look at it tomorrow. No rail, and if memory serves, internal extractor, if that helps to date it.

To clarify: This is my first and only P220. I am not looking at it as a collectible, it's for shooting and, when I find the right holster, for carry. So, "period correct" would take second place for me, after function and reliability. Re-fraiming my question in that light, should I be looking for 7 round magazines? Or 8 round? And, for this purpose, are the ACT magazines as suitable as SIG or MecGar? I assume that I should stay away from ProMag, correct?

I have all 3 (German, Mec-Gar, and ACT). They all perform reliably. Not personal experience, but I've read some folks on here have had the ACT mags' lips cracked (proven with pics). For carry purpose, I'd stick with the Mec-Gar ones. They are stainless steel and just feel more robust than the rest. Oh, and the Mec-Gar ones are SIG factory, too, as I mentioned initially.

Q

Posts: 26349 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey VTail, long time since we’ve talked.
You’ll love the Sig P220. They are fantastic pistols.
As said, the 7 round mags came with earlier 220s and the 8 round mags are current. They protrude from the bottom of the grip a half inch where the 7 round ones don’t. Both have always been perfectly reliable for me. I like the 10 round as a backup carry magazine and I’ve never tried the ACT mags.
Jeff

Colonel, USAF (Ret)
NRA Life Member

Posts: 100 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm one of those who had bad luck with the ACT mags. For any serious use I would not recommend them.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm one of those who had bad luck with the ACT mags. For any serious use I would not recommend them.

Was it you with the pics of the cracked feed lips? Or, someone else?

Q

posted Hide Post
A few years ago ACT-Mag made a couple of minor changes in their magazines. Seems they would insert a little too high. Movement of the slide in some pistols put stress on the magazine. Didn't happen often but few did get cracks. I was told they were made to have a little more clearance and that issue was resolved. I've sold 1000's of ACT-MAG's. Only a few ever reported a problem in the last 15 years or so. They are nicely made magazines for a reasonable price. Really shouldn't have any problem with them.

ACT-MAG is now distributed by Armscor and they do stand behind the product.

Most of the German made P220 magazines were 7 round magazines. There were a few that had a different follower that allowed for an 8th round. It was a tight fit but it worked. Maybe somebody here still has some. I sold lots of them to Sig Forum members.

I have also seen the dove tail seams weld break on the German made magazines.

Greg Cote LLC

Posts: 8609 | Registered: April 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post