SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Live round stuck in barrel of P226
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Live round stuck in barrel of P226 Login/Join 
posted
Ok guys

I got my German framed 226 back from the gunsmith with new GGI trigger and loaded one mag with Federal 147 HSTs. I went to unload the gun , dropped the mag and could not get the slide to move , to eject the live loaded round. I got the round out but can not figure what the issue is. Gun also has fitted Barsto barrel . The HSTs had never been loaded and no signs of an issue with the ejected round. ANY thoughts would be great. This is my first Sig bought in 02 and would like to keep her going as a EDC .
thanks

Officer Dave

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I suggest field stripping the gun down to the barrel only and then dropping rounds into the chamber to see what happens. Try other HSTs from the same box, as well as other brands.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I had that happen with a Bar-sto barrel. Sent it back to Bar-sto for fitting, no problems since.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16334 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yep Barsto is out and original low mileage Sig is back in. Running snap caps with no issues, so I am thinking ammo issue. I can rotate out the HSTs and try other defense rounds. thanks for the input.

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Is the other ammo also 147-grainers?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16334 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
If I am understanding correctly, with the Bar-Sto barrel installed the slide would not cycle at all?
If so, that is the barrel fitting too tightly, not an ammo issue.

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Take the Barsto barrel and drop in a 147 HST. Does the round drop all the way into the chamber? Can you rotate the chambered round freely?

I had a Glock 19 that had the chamber cut a bit short. 147gr HST is at the long end of 9mm spec. Rounds would chamber, but the bullet would be partially engaging the rifling. If the projectile was any longer or the throat any shorter, I can see it locking up the action.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAP:
If I am understanding correctly, with the Bar-Sto barrel installed the slide would not cycle at all?
If so, that is the barrel fitting too tightly, not an ammo issue.

Would not cycle when the Bar-Sto was in and a live round in it
Not loaded, slide worked fine

posted Hide Post
I'd do the "plunk" test(barrel out of the gun) as well with the same 147's. Then push down on the back of the round and see if you feel any interference. There is a history with short chambered Bar-Sto barrels causing similar problems. It's not that they don't make good barrels or that federal doesn't make good ammo. Bar-Sto produces a product that is exposed to a gazillion different kinds of ammo with different length bullets and different shaped ogives. There are many variables to consider when troubleshooting.

It sounds like a tight or short chambered barrel with a round that is not very compatible with it.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackimoe:
I'd do the "plunk" test(barrel out of the gun) as well with the same 147's. Then push down on the back of the round and see if you feel any interference. There is a history with short chambered Bar-Sto barrels causing similar problems. It's not that they don't make good barrels or that federal doesn't make good ammo. Bar-Sto produces a product that is exposed to a gazillion different kinds of ammo with different length bullets and different shaped ogives. There are many variables to consider when troubleshooting.

It sounds like a tight or short chambered barrel with a round that is not very compatible with it.

This. My Barsto Barrel had a very tight throat. This didn't make it a bad barrel...to the contrary, it was extremely accurate. And HST is excellent ammo. They just don't play nice together. You might contact Barsto about having the throat reamed, or just shoot different ammo in it.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I suggest field stripping the gun down to the barrel only and then dropping rounds into the chamber to see what happens. Try other HSTs from the same box, as well as other brands.

And weights, See if 115 and 124 grain fmj's drop in further than the 147 HST's.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put the original Sig barrel ( NP3 coated) back in and will switch to Winchester bonded 147 9mms. I am guessing that the HSTs wider open mouth hollow point, may not be fitting correctly into the mouth of the Bar-Sto barrel. One of the problems with having instructors that ONLY carry, know GLOCKs. My meaning is that not every gun is the same. What ammo works in your GLOCK may not function in my SIG ( we buy our own weapons)

thanks guys for the suggestions will see what happens
Being a SIG guy in my department ( 20 officers )and working around our big brother department ( 300 officers) is not easy. GLOCK rules the day out by me...

posted Hide Post
if you put 115gr does it do the same thing?shoot a few and than try the heavier

Posts: 503 | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me like the barsto is not fitted correctly. Both of My Simi Fits needed a little bit of work. That said I have fired over 500 HSTs through both of them with no problem once they were fitted correctly

Posts: 34 | Location: United States | Registered: August 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by officerdave:
I am guessing that the HSTs wider open mouth hollow point, may not be fitting correctly into the mouth of the Bar-Sto barrel.

No guessing.
So, did you do the "plunk test"? Four people above asked but it's not clear if you did it and what the results were.
If you haven't, please try this:

Or this:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dsiets,

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
my experience with barsto is that they have pretty tight chambers.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FJRider:
It sounds to me like the Barsto is not fitted correctly. Both of My Simi Fits needed a little bit of work. That said I have fired over 500 HSTs through both of them with no problem once they were fitted correctly

It may sound like that and there is some common knowledge that the semi-fit may need some work for proper lock-up.( The semi=fit designation)There have been lots of threads on this fine forum alone that indicate this over the many years.

To simplify..you have the barrel lock-up and then the feeding/loading characteristics and variables. From a troubleshooting standpoint I would eliminate lock-up at first if possible. I read and got the idea that other lesser weight bullets would feed and fire fine. If so, he could then move on to the feeding and chambering issues to nail it down.

Handloaders developing match rounds face this non-stop. The CZ chamber/lead is a perfect example. What works in a Sig as a long loaded round might not work in a CZ.

147's tend to load to a longer O.A.L. which I think would be the primary cause for his issue. If that is the case, I'm sure Bar-Sto would modify the barrel for him.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post