SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Updated P320 Slide Milling?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Updated P320 Slide Milling? Login/Join 
Picture of Uncle Malice
posted
Hey guys,

I just picked up another P320 Compact after having sold mine mid last year.

When I picked up the gun, I noticed that the internal slide milling was notably different in the new version. In particular, I noticed that Sig is no longer including a drain hole for the striker channel. I also noticed that there is no milling for material removal to lighten the slide at all either.

I don't care much about the latter, but I thought it was nice that my previous P320 included a drain hole whereas with something like the PPQ, you had to upgrade to the Navy model to get that feature.

I did a little searching to see if the change was discussed, and the best I could find was this thread from arfcom:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5...rmation_sharing.html

They talk about the removal of the drain hole in the gen2, but I guess I must have a gen3, because I don't have any hole.

Here is a picture of my slide:

This isn't a big deal, I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight as to why they would remove this feature?

Posts: 532 | Registered: August 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I had noticed similar differences between the slides on my older 9mm P320C (since sold) and my brand new 9mm P320C.

According to jljones, for a time Sig was trying to gear the 9mm P320 towards being optimal for a funky lightweight frangible round, which was being considered as a new "green"/"enviro-friendly" round for the military. Part of this process apparently entailed the inclusion of internal lightening cuts milled into the interior of the P320 slide.

But once that project was abandoned in the last year or so, the internal lightening cuts were omitted from the slide production process.

The added weight of the newer slides has reportedly increased reliability too.

I had thought about taking some comparison photos between the two slides before I sold the older P320C slide, but it slipped my mind. Here's a shot I found online, though. It's not a great angle, but you can see some of the extra cuts milled into the underside. There are more cutouts on the side of the slide towards the muzzle, which you can't make out in this photo.

Posts: 32426 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Uncle Malice
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pic and the info.

That one is exactly what my original P320C looked like.

I guess it's good that it increased reliability - though my original P320C was virtually flawless as well. I suppose the drain hole isn't a big deal for me, being in the desert, but I just thought it was a good feature to include.

Can't wait to go ring some steel with this guy. Already picked up a small subcompact grip and mag as well. Always wanted to try that combo, but never did.

Posts: 532 | Registered: August 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Interesting that the extra milling was to function with a particular round. I just assumed the material was removed to adjust the weight of the slides so that the same RSA would work with all calibers of a particular slide length.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post