SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Are $2000 Glocks Worth It?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are $2000 Glocks Worth It? Login/Join 
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by twpayne75:
I would rather have one great gun exactly the way I want it than a bunch of average ones. I'm the same way with rifles. I would rather spend $15,000 on 4 or 5 great rifles than have 30+ okay rifles.

I am right there with you on this aspect.

Similarly I would rather have a few guns that I shoot a bunch than a bunch of guns that I almost never shoot.

This is the direction I went for a handgun. Cool

Same.

Who built that one?

Don Fredenhagen.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:

Don Fredenhagen.

Not familiar with the builder, but it's pretty.

Here's my newest one.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
I have done 3 custom Glocks and probably spent $8,000 between the three of them

Goodness.

With all due respect, why are you passing judgement? That's the entry point for a used Krieghoff that'll probably be shot less than twpayne75's Glocks. Heck, $8k is a middle of the road 3-gun setup for most of us.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
That STI is slick. My father has one of the chrome plated STI Edge 9mm special runs that Brazos did a few years ago. They're fantastic guns to shoot. Point and click Big Grin

And yes, worth the $3000 or so. It's the easiest-to-shoot double stack gun I've ever handled.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
I have done 3 custom Glocks and probably spent $8,000 between the three of them

Goodness.

With all due respect, why are you passing judgement? That's the entry point for a used Krieghoff that'll probably be shot less than twpayne75's Glocks. Heck, $8k is a middle of the road 3-gun setup for most of us.

That 34 made it to round 1400 this morning. I know that's not a lot, but I haven't had it two months yet.

Posts: 1900 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: October 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Don Fredenhagen.

Not familiar with the builder, but it's pretty.

Here's my newest one.

It hasn't bobbled on me yet. I have had one bad primer and a few instances where I dropped a hammer on an empty chamber because my 23rd mag doesn't lock back the slide. But not a single malfunction which wasn't my fault. I didn't even have to change up my minor power factor load that my G17 liked so well. Cool

The SVI is a work of art. Seriously nice pistolas.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Have you guys running the Glocks tried TTI basepads?

Got me to 22rds reloadable and the extra weight makes empties drop free nicely.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:

It hasn't bobbled on me yet. I have had one bad primer and a few instances where I dropped a hammer on an empty chamber because my 23rd mag doesn't lock back the slide.

If anyone figures out how to easily get a 2011 mag to lock back when they are supposed to, they will sell a ton of mags. I just disable the slide stop on all my guns, usually by modifying the followers.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you guys running the Glocks tried TTI basepads?

Got me to 22rds reloadable and the extra weight makes empties drop free nicely.

Seems that most can get to 23 rounds with the TTI +5/6 extensions. You might want to try it on another mag.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It hasn't bobbled on me yet. I have had one bad primer and a few instances where I dropped a hammer on an empty chamber because my 23rd mag doesn't lock back the slide.

If anyone figures out how to easily get a 2011 mag to lock back when they are supposed to, they will sell a ton of mags. I just disable the slide stop on all my guns, usually by modifying the followers.

My factory STI mags lock back 100%.

I can hulk out and stuff 23 in my TTI glock mags
Just don't like doing it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Or is it all just cosmetics and they're just pretty to look at?

Glock that is pretty to look at? lol

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDG:
quote:
Or is it all just cosmetics and they're just pretty to look at?

Glock that is pretty to look at? lol

Apparently it's a thing.

Picture of tcba_joe
posted Hide Post
quote:

Didn't realize they were supposed to be that difficult to load. I have no problem loading 23 into my TTI extensions.

ETA: But I literally loaded magazines for work for years. So maybe it's just me.

Posts: 195 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tcba_joe:
quote:

Didn't realize they were supposed to be that difficult to load. I have no problem loading 23 into my TTI extensions.

ETA: But I literally loaded magazines for work for years. So maybe it's just me.

22 load easy for me, but that last one seems just tight enough that it gives me pause. I dunno maybe I'm doing it wrong but I've been stuffing mags for USPSA since 2006 and I just felt like it was tight enough that it might cause issues stripping a bullet on that first shot after a reload.

Sorry for the thread drift.

I've got a buddy with an Agency Glock and it is certainly worth it to him.

Any thing is worth what someone will pay so if $2k glocks are selling, they are worth it to someone.

I put some Dawsons and a trigger on my G17 and that was about as far as I was interested in taking it.

I would like to shoot a Roland Special just to see what all the fuss is about.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you are running factory STI mags in a competition, you are reloading on stages that your competition isn't. I have had issues with those locking back with one in the mag as well.

posted Hide Post
I would not spend $2,000 on ANY pistol regardless of what it was. My most expensive pistol was about $1,200; an S&W 1911sc that I purchased brand new and sometimes I scratch my head in disbelief that I spent that much for a single pistol.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Vinnie:
I would not spend $2,000 on ANY pistol regardless of what it was. My most expensive pistol was about $1,200; an S&W 1911sc that I purchased brand new and sometimes I scratch my head in disbelief that I spent that much for a single pistol.

No P210 for you then. You're missing out.

I'd say a $2000 Glock could be worth it, if it indeed shoots like $2000. Which I imagine it does. When I had my Bar-Sto 34, that thing was already crazy accurate. I'm sure I could have really dumped some money in it.

To each his own, certainly, but I'd say that folks outside of competition often have a hard time seeing the value of expensive custom guns.

Really though, there are a whole lot of guns out there that cost more than $2000, and I bet you can find one you'd buy.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If you are running factory STI mags in a competition, you are reloading on stages that your competition isn't. I have had issues with those locking back with one in the mag as well.

I'm a 3-Gunner and there is usually ample opportunity to load during movement and it is a rarity to find a stage where a flat footed reload isn't the fault of the shooter. Many of our stages have 120 or 180 second par times, and take 40-90 seconds for mid-tier guy like myself to shoot cleanly. Pistol reloads are not where I need to improve, although I wouldn't like to shoot with 17 or fewer in a magazine anymore.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Competition exposes certain needs that are not fulfilled by easily available and inexpensive handguns.

Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bo-ring : )

Expensive guns are silly fun. I carry a cheap Glock 19 and have a few 1911s that make me look really good at the range. Nothing wrong with that. But hey, I'm a childless IT dude who drives a cheap car because vehicles get destroyed in the DC area. What else am I going to spend my money on?