SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Are $2000 Glocks Worth It?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are $2000 Glocks Worth It? Login/Join 
Picture of caneau
posted
The rise of the very expensive Glock pistol has me scratching my head. It's not that I don't value an expensive gun. In fact, just the opposite. I have a few very nice 1911s, revolvers, and rifles that make me look really good at the range. And modifications such a beavertail or front strap checking for a 1911, or a nice stock on an AR-15 make a world of difference in how the gun handles.

But I don't get the really expensive Glock thing because they do not seem to perform any better than a stock Glock with a light trigger job. At least none that I've handled so far. And that's what baffles me. In fact, I've never seen anyone "prove" that a $2000 full custom Glock shoots better than a $500 + $200 in parts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against customizing a Glock. I've swapped out the trigger in my G19 for a non-serrated one, installed HD sights, and wrapped my grip in the Agrip felt because I have sweaty hands. I've also trimmed the slide stop a bit because I kept hitting it with my left hand, and done a light polish job on the internals for smoothness. All in, probably about $200 including labor and shipping. And it shoots...about as well as a Glock. I've done similar things to my G34 and even reduced the spring tension so that the trigger is somewhere around 3 lbs. But again, that's a $20 spring kit, a $15 connector, and a $5 bottle of Flitz.

But has anyone actually taken a shot timer to one of these guns or taken a sampling of say 50 shots at distance? Are they faster, more accurate, or more comfortable to shoot? Or is it all just cosmetics and they're just pretty to look at?

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
People will buy a new Lexus and put Gold wheels on it. They'll pull the interior out and make it Gold too. Their money, so have at it, but I don't see the point.

Ze Glock needs a non-serrated trigger, NS, and a bunch of rounds down the barrel. So for my opinion, the $2k Glock is not my cup of tea. I'd be a better shooter and more accurate with the $500 Glock and $1500 worth of ammunition through it. In today's prices that's about 7500 rounds.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:

Para, I'm not angry enough to browse the "What's Your Deal" forum regularly Smile

Thanks for the link.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcba_joe
posted Hide Post
This one absolutely was worth every penny of $2100

Posts: 195 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
At least with Glock, you have a solid base of "Fan Boi's" that will gladly cough up the $2K so that they can have the ultimate tupperware pistol.

Now, if it were Hi-Point, my eyebrows would be raised.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tcba_joe:

That is not a Glock : )

Picture of tcba_joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
quote:

That is not a Glock : )

Barrel, trigger assembly, RSA, mags, slide and frame parts are Big Grin

Posts: 195 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Frame isn't -- hence not a Glock Smile

I had a CCF a while back. They're interesting if somewhat finicky. The Lone Wolf Timberwolf looks interesting though if I ever were to go down that road again.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are $2000 Glocks Worth It?

Yes, to those who are into it.
No, to the rest.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
It probably depends on what $2000 is worth to you. To some people that's an enormous amount. To others not so much. I'd tend to side with no but
It's ok if you think so.

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I've been on both sides of this one.

Bought a 21 that had a Burris with it. Traded parts around and was able to convert it to .38 Super. Out of pocket cost: $350.

Traded a Taurus for a Gen2. Threw in a Salient trigger and converted it to a 9. Got about $800 in it now.

Found a deal on a Salient BLU. Wanted a RMR on that one also. This one was about $1800.

They cost a heck of a lot more when you don't have any other parts to sell or trade.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it is great for the industry in general, although I wouldn't spend that. If you know where to look you can put together a custom Glock with a lot of add-ons for much less than $2,000.00. People use to say the same thing about 1911 pistols, are they worth it? If people want to do it, have at it. I have one and can say that the work/money I have into it makes a night and day difference compared to a base model( I have a couple plain Glocks as well). It is a fun gun for me and allows me to shoot different ammo. and the triggers offered are much more comfortable than even the standard smooth Glock triggers. I also don't think you can count the cost of a RMR or other dot sight into the cost factor of the pistol as you can always use it on another gun,provided you have the right mount.

Posts: 6874 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
Sorry I just don't understand it...puppy monkey baby

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2988 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Barrel, trigger assembly, RSA, mags, slide and frame parts are Big Grin
If the frame is not a Glock, it's not a Glock.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
I've been on both sides of this one.

Bought a 21 that had a Burris with it. Traded parts around and was able to convert it to .38 Super. Out of pocket cost: $350.

Traded a Taurus for a Gen2. Threw in a Salient trigger and converted it to a 9. Got about $800 in it now.

Found a deal on a Salient BLU. Wanted a RMR on that one also. This one was about $1800.

They cost a heck of a lot more when you don't have any other parts to sell or trade.

So how does the Salient BLU shoot compared to your Gen 2? I can say without a shadow of a doubt that an $1800 1911 such as a Dan Wesson Valor will be more accurate and easier to shoot than an $800 Springfield Loaded model. And test after test has proven this, everything from a Ransom Rest to having a pro with repeatable performance demonstrate faster shooting, reloading, etc. Is the same true for the Salient, Zev, and others?

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
You can build your own and spend about $1000 less.

So far I'm in just over $1000 on this gun including the price of the base gun and RMR. I did all the work myself including the stippling.

The

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dusty78,

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Billy346:
At least with Glock, you have a solid base of "Fan Boi's" that will gladly cough up the $2K so that they can have the ultimate tupperware pistol.

Now, if it were Hi-Point, my eyebrows would be raised.

I don't know what a "fan boi" is, but I own one safe with nothing but Glocks. Plus quite a few in another safe, and just bought several more. I carry them, shoot them. I am not an expert in them, but I appreciate their simplicity and most of all, reliability, plus the fact that they can run two hundred thousand rounds. I am not a "fan boi," whatever that might be.

While I would never dictate what the next guy should spend on his firearms, let alone what he should value, buy, or carry, I wouldn't have any use for a two thousand dollar Glock. I can buy five used stock ones for that cost, put the sights on them that I want, replace any internals I think might warrant (new springs, etc), and shoot them for many years to come.

There are shooters here who could eek out a hundredth extra time with the right firearm, perhaps, but I suspect that has a whole lot more to do with the shooter than with the pistol.

I will spend a hundred fifty for a set of Trijicon HD sights. I'll spend for ten spare magazines. On a few of my Glocks, I've even spent on a minimalist mag well because it doesn't hinder reliability, feels good in my hand, protects the mag well, and it works...but two thousand? I'd have to be a competitor with very specific requirements, I'd think.

I don't know if they're worth it, but I'm quite certain a two thousand dollar Glock would be wasted on me.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its incredible easy to get to $2K if you are going to have an RMR on the gun, suppressor sights, milling and a few mags.
If those aren't in the equation then its silly.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
To me, no. Just like multi thousand dollar 1911s aren't worth it.

To me.

But people buy 'em. Somebody must think that they're worth it.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post